cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinios on My Build Please!

Shulzta
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I just got here and it seems to be a cool place. I am trying to build a new desktop (for GAMING!) but I don't really have a lot of experience on this so I really need your help.
I decide that I want the best I can afford, so here are the parts I really want to have on my PC:

Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI EXTREME LGA 1150 Intel Z87
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX780 SuperClocked (probably getting a SLI system later)
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum Series 16GB (probably upgrading to 32GB later)
Storage: Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 SSD 250 GB + Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive
Cooling: I wanna try a little bit of OC on this system, so probably a decent case and a liquid CPU cooling system

Thats basically what I have in mind for now, and here come the questions:

1) Any known incompatibility problem with the parts above that I should know of?

2) if No on 1), Do these components generally go on well with each other in the performance aspect? Is there any of them thats kinda falling behind the overall performance and needs to be changed for a better one? Or is any of them unnecessary so I can go for cheaper ones?

3) What kind of power supply is needed for the system, considering the possible memory and GPU upgrades in the future? Any specific spec or brand that you may suggest?

I know that's like tons of questions throwing at you, but I really need your help and I appreciate it!

Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10

Krindor
Level 11
Welcome to the forum!

Unless you are going to benchmark or render videos a 4670k is a cheaper CPU with about the same performance as a 4770k.

As for mobo I suggest you wait for the MVIF instead as the extreme is for extreme overclockers/benchmarkers and the in-built sound card in the formula is better and the formula is made for gamers.

As for the ram, you don't want to add another separate kit as two ram kits even though they are the same product have a chance too not work together so you should either go for a 16 or 32 gb kit directly, not 2 16gb kits. You didn't mention ram speed but I recommend you to pick either 1600 or 1866mhz kit as higher won't make any in-game difference.

If you are going to SLI in the future then I recommend a at least 850w 80+ gold CPU. Corsair and Seasonic are two companies who make great CPUs.

Split the 250gb SSD into 2 128gb ones as the OS is best to have on a separate drive and takes around 60gb of space.

For a liquid cooler the H100i is a great AIO and you should be able to overclock quite well.

For case go for something that suits your tastes and hardware, in this case a case which fits in a e-atx mobo and supports a 240mm(2x120mm) radiator.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Thank you for the reply!
I've heard some rumor that the Formula will be releasing in the first week of August.. But I dont know how reliable this info is. So probably I will wait for a week and see
Also as for the RAM I was going for those 1866Mhz ones. So probably I should get a 4 x 8GB kit if I want 32GB memory?

Again. Thanks man. Its really helpful

I think here is the finalized version of my build, please let me know what do you guys think.

Mobo: ASUS Maximus VI Formula LGA 1150 Intel Z87
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
Video card: ASUS GTX780 Direct CU 2
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum Series 16GB (DO I need extra cooling system for my memory, since I'm using water cooling for the CPU? Or I can just passively cool it and try to keep the whole case under a reasonable temp?)
(btw I'm not that much of a overclocker.. intense gaming, some programing, and maybe some molecular simulation are all I need from my PC)

Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 120GB SSD x 2
+ Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II + some extra fans on the side
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W

Shulzta wrote:
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum Series 16GB (DO I need extra cooling system for my memory, since I'm using water cooling for the CPU? Or I can just passively cool it and try to keep the whole case under a reasonable temp?)

RAM gets pretty warm, especially if you're going to be running Platinum at 2400+Mhz. However, IMHO those ram fans are bogus, they really don't provide much airflow and more than likely just disrupt the air that naturally flows up past your ram and out the top/back of your case. Just make sure you have ample exhaust fans pulling warm air out of your case and you should be fine.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

Krindor
Level 11
I'm not sure either about the release date of the formula.
As for the ram, yeah, if you want 32gb ram then a 4x8 kit is the one to pick.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

HiVizMan
Level 40
The formula will be availalbe in Aug, how ever I would not want to hold my breath for the first week. Plan for mid to late Aug.

The 4670K is the gamer CPU without doubt.
Not sure why you would want 32 GB unless you do video rendering. 16GB is the sweet spot for gaming and 99% of normal usage. However yes if you want a 32GB set up get 8GB based sets. One set of 32 GB not two kits please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Not sure why you would want 32 GB unless you do video rendering. 16GB is the sweet spot for gaming and 99% of normal usage.

I would respectfully disagree. For 99% of users, even high-end enthusiasts, 16 gb of ram is WAY overkill. You will NEVER need or use more than 8gb under normal circumstances unless you do graphics rendering or a few other memory intensive tasks (if you're not sure whether this applies to you, it doesn't. If it does, you know it). For the average gamer, 8 gb of ram is more than enough.

Of course, having more won't HURT, it just won't help (and it costs unnecessary $$).

And yes, I know I have 16gb. lol Corsair doesn't make a 4x2gb set of Dominator, so I just bit the cost and bought 16gb even though I know I'll never use it. 😉
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

HiVizMan wrote:
The formula will be availalbe in Aug, how ever I would not want to hold my breath for the first week. Plan for mid to late Aug.

The 4670K is the gamer CPU without doubt.
Not sure why you would want 32 GB unless you do video rendering. 16GB is the sweet spot for gaming and 99% of normal usage. However yes if you want a 32GB set up get 8GB based sets. One set of 32 GB not two kits please.

Thanks for the reply. Would you suggest I go for HERO or saber tooth instead of waiting for Formula then? Or jump up to the Extreme?

My computer is mostly for gaming, and sometimes I run molecular simulations on it too. So probably I will stick with the i7 just in case I need it. As for memory I think 16 GB should be sufficient, and I will probably go for 2133 or 2400 MHz. I guess either Kingston hyperX beast or Corsair vengeance pro should work? (Corsair Dominator platinums are kinda expensive.. Do you think it worth the money?)

Thank you.

Retired
Not applicable
Hello, if you planning spending time tweaking the memory,/ running cpu benchmarks, its worth the xtra cash..

But for everyday, mainstream usage, get the cheaper ones, you most likely wont notice any difference.

Get the ones with the coolest heat spreaders, and lowest latency's, that match your computers color theme..

Yes, 2133 mhz is very nice ram speed for 24/7, and latency's not all the way up through the roof..

Just make sure the kit is fully compatible with you machine, but i am sure many are..