cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx Crashes Every 30 Minutes

steve_kroodsma
Level 7
Hi all,
I've had my G74sx for a little over a year and lately something strange has been happening. I'll try to break it down as concisely as possible:

It will run fine for about 30-50 minutes, then one of two things will happen: Windows will slowly freeze up, forcing me to cold shutdown, or the whole machine will crash, sending me to the blue dump screen before restarting saying there's no valid boot drive (or something of that nature - I'll post the exact message when I get home.) After I turn it off and let it sit for an hour I can power it back up again, before the whole process repeats. It should be noted that I'm not doing anything memory or graphics intensive, ususally just listening to music or browsing the web.

I don't think it's a Win7 issue because it's happened with Ubuntu as well. I thought it could potentially be an overheating issue, the back vents feel very hot every time this happens, though I'm not sure if this is normal overheating behaviour. I have a 1-2 year old SSD as my boot drive, so I'd be surprised if it's a dead or dying drive. I've tried doing a system restore on the off chance it's a windows issue, but it didn't help.

I'll most more complete system specs once I get home, but has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Thanks for any responses.
- Steve
5 REPLIES 5

fakunchas
Level 10
install hwmonitor just to check the temperatures. Idling it should not exceed the 40 C to 50 C degrees.
i really think it is your drive. if it is the C or the D partition i don't know. but it seems some disk failure..

D5210
Level 7
At the time I didn't have a SSD installed in the computer, but this sounds like an issue I have had before. It turned out that my HDD went bad. For right now though, I would back up the information that is on both of your drives that you think is important. Does your regular hard drive make a clicking noise?

what do you write to your SSD and how often do you write to it? I have heard of some of the solid state drives going out in a year.
Roy C.

Pitcher1
Level 9
clean cooling system and update drivers, bios.

steve_kroodsma
Level 7
Thanks for the advice. The SSD is my C drive and holds most of my memory intensive programs (After Effects, Avid Media Composer, etc.). My D drive is a regular 750GB 2.5" Seagate, and it hasn't given me any problems, including clicking. Looks like I'll be switching my boot drive to a regular HDD.
I'll install hwmonitor and check my temperatures as well. Thanks again for the help, everyone.

steve_kroodsma
Level 7
Just a quick update, in case anyone runs into this issue in the future.
My drive is a Crucial M4 128GB SSD. I contacted their customer service about getting a replacement drive and they informed me that the problem I was describing was common for a particular version of the drive's firmware. They gave me some instructions on how to upgrade the firmware, and as of last night everything is running smoothly. Hope that helps future visitors.