Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

just joined to say i had exact same problem, clock freezing in bios, i just reset the cmos in standby and its now sorted
    no need to re flash bios
    mobo is a z87-a with a 4670k

thanks

ROG Member Array

Update: I wanted to follow up on the Bios Clock Issue on my ASUS Z87 SABERTOOTH on this site. It has been 3 1/2 weeks, and I am still tick tocking just fine. Thanks again!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by trancefreak View Post
    Update: I wanted to follow up on the Bios Clock Issue on my ASUS Z87 SABERTOOTH on this site. It has been 3 1/2 weeks, and I am still tick tocking just fine. Thanks again!
    Thanks for the feedback, mate. Continue enjoying your system.

ROG Member Array

Meanwhile I’m closing in to the issue of the frozen time clock. It seems to be connected to the change of UEFI settings concerning CPU overclocking. So far I made the same observations as WM on the other thread.

In the last 14 days I tried to reproduce the phenomenon in a deterministic way:

After starting from a completely minimized system at default settings I added components and changed UEFI settings day by day. So far I can rule out an influence of the following components:
    • Addition of 2nd RAM Stick
    • External USB devices
    • Casing USB 2 / USB 3 Plugs
    • UEFI: ERP Settings
    • External Power off (Switched plug)
    • AI Suite III 1.0.0.56
    • Intel Management Engine
    • UEFI: XMP Profile
    • UEFI: Save and Restore of Default Profile from internal Memory in Profile#2
    • UEFI: Save and Restore of Default Profile from USB
    • UEFI: Save and Restore of XMP Profile from internal Memory in Profile#1
    • UEFI: Save and Restore of XMP Profile from USB

Until that point the clock was continuously running (13 days).

After that I started to test with my OC settings
    • CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 42; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,110V, XMP
    • I saved this profile in ASUS O.C. Settings Profile#2

With these settings the clock continued running.

After another 36h I started to set and store my other OC profiles:
    • Profile#3: CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 44; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,200V, XMP
    • Profile#4: CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 45; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,275V, XMP
    • Profile#5: CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1,2: 46; Core 3,4: 45; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,275V, XMP

Each profile was set in UEFI first, then the system was rebooted, after that the profile was saved in internal memory and on USB stick.

In the end I restored Profile #2 (Core 1-4 42, Adaptive, 1,110V, XMP) from the internal memory.

After that the clock stopped about 15 minutes later!

My next steps:

I’m continuing to pinpoint the issue in a reproducible way.

1. Total reset of my system: Reflash UEFI 1405, clear CMOS on standy, Power off, remove all plugs from Mainboard, remove CMOS Battery. Reassemble, initialize UEFI at default.
    2. Now I will check, if the clock continues running in the state before the last changes. (CPU Core Ratio: Per Core; Core 1-4: 42; CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive; Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage: 1,110V, XMP)
    3. If these settings prove not to halt the clock, I will start to alter OC settings one by one, until the clock stops.

Sorry for my lengthy post. I hope it will help to track down this nasty error, that seems to effect a lot of people.

If you have any other suggestions how to continue, please let me know.

Regards

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Thanks. The more you can nail it down, the better chance HQ have of replicating it.

-Raja

New ROGer Array

Hi Raja,

Thanks for trying to help everyone.

I'm having a very similar (but slightly different) problem that is starting to drive me nuts. I have a ASUS Z87-Deluxe/Dual motherboard that was working fine for three months, and continues to work great whenever I'm in Windows (7, 64 bit). But whenever the computer:

a) goes into sleep mode,
    b) powers down with power supply on
    c) powers down with power supply off
    d) is in any of the BIOS screens

the RTC just freezes. It never looses time (nor any of my other settings -- stock except for naming the SATA plugs, some fan settings and a slightly faster boot) -- the darn thing just stops updating itself. I can see this most clearly in the top BIOS screen where it just stays frozen.

I have tested the battery (it's fine, as expected). I've cleared the CMOS with the board in standby (twice for good measure), I've flashed to the latest UEFI (1504), cleared CMOS again, tried standing on my head, but none of the symptoms have changed.

What should I try next? Thank You in advance for your time,

- B'jamin

ROG Member Array

Thumbs up

Hi,

I'm another customer affected by the BIOS frozen clock. I have the Asus Maximus VI Gene built and supplied by Scan Computers in Bolton, England.

The PC has been back to them once already since I bought it a month ago. They re-flashed the BIOS and kept the PC running over the weekend and when it was returned to me 11 days ago I thought that was it. But checking yesterday the clock had stopped the previous evening which is when it was powered down.

I have tried to reset / reload the BIOS but only using the ROG Connect button. The clock remains frozen. I am not prepared to start opening the case for a professionally built PC to change a jumper position. It could well invalidate the warranty.

When I bought my PC a friend also bought one with an different Asus mobo and he is having the same problem.

Given there is no clear resolution to this by Acer when I speak to Scan on Monday I'm going to ask them to swap the board for a Gigabyte one. I suspect my friend will do the same.

I've had PCs for 20 years and built the last 4 myself and have never had this kind of problem before. It does not reflect well on Asus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Proudfoot View Post
    I have tried to reset / reload the BIOS but only using the ROG Connect button. The clock remains frozen. I am not prepared to start opening the case for a professionally built PC to change a jumper position. It could well invalidate the warranty.

Given there is no clear resolution to this by Acer when I speak to Scan on Monday I'm going to ask them to swap the board for a Gigabyte one. I suspect my friend will do the same.
    The ROG Connect button does not reset the CMOS so the fact that you have not resolved this issue is not surprising. If you are not capable of or do not wish to perform the steps to successfully remedy this issue perhaps a different motherboard is the next logical choice.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    The ROG Connect button does not reset the CMOS so the fact that you have not resolved this issue is not surprising. If you are not capable of or do not wish to perform the steps to successfully remedy this issue perhaps a different motherboard is the next logical choice.
    Perhaps I've misunderstood its purpose. What IS the purpose of the ROG Connect button? And is it possible to unfreeze the clock without removing the case lid?

New ROGer Array

Anyone have any suggestions? What should I try next? Or do I just need to send this board back to ASUS for replacement?

- B'jamin

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast