cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g75vw CPU/GPU Thermal Issues?

Tsuki
Level 7
Hey guys,

For as long as I've had my laptop (g75vw-ds72) its always seemed to run a higher temps than what people frequently post here.

I use HWinfo sensors to monitor cpu and gpu temps. CPU idle is about 50C and GPU near 60. This means that with full load (TERA, AION, FFXIV: ARR) CPU is at about 72-75c and GPU is usually steady at 80-82. I've not seen GPU higher than 82 but these are stock clocks, with ONLY turboboost for CPU (Core i7-3610QM, Ivy Bridge/No OC) I have not OC GPU.

I noticed in HWinfo that whilst gpu clock stays at 620mhz (stock) constantly, the memory clock is stuck somewhere around 1250mhz at max load. It is supposed to be 1500 @ stock. No wonder I am getting abysmal bench scores for the new FFXIV: ARR Benchmark.

What is throttling the gpu memory clock, and why is it so hot with such low clock speed? crappy paste job? I have no idea. The power settings have all been set to maximum performance, even in Nvidia control panel settings I have selected preferred max performance.

It is important to note the laptop sits on a desk, lid closed. I am hdmi outputting to asus monitor and have separate usb kb/mouse. The room temperature is 20C/68F. Is this a faulty cooling setup, card, or is there a simpler culprit?

I wanted to OC the gpu for FFXIV:ARR but that just isn't possible with stock clocks producing temps like this. I see some people on here oc'ing gpu with +135/150 without any sort of issue. I feel like I would melt through the desk if I tried.

Any thoughts? Thanks for reading!
My laptop makes your desktop self-conscious~ Now with more Hello Kitty!:o
5 REPLIES 5

rewben
Level 13
@Tsuki, yes the temperatures of cpu/gpu are relatively higher. i think it's good to do a clean-up of the fans and vents first. if that doesn't work, a replacement of thermal pastes/pads might be needed.

Tsuki
Level 7
I guess I should have added I have cleaned out the fans/vents but in terms of touching GPU/CPU would break my warranty, I can't have that this is the expensive unit so its not an option for me. I'm concerned the gpu was faulty to begin with though, I'm just unsure how the mem clock gets stuck at 1200 out of what is supposed to be 1500 while intense benching. 😞 annoyed.

It does sound like your going to need to send it to repair then since you don't want to invalidate your Warranty. If your in the states? PM @cl-albert He is our customer Loyalty represented here in these forums. He is also very familiar with these notebooks he may have some insight to your problem other than RMA
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Tsuki
Level 7
Thanks, I'm in Cali 😄

Good then if they screw up your computer in repair you can catch them leaving work Ha Ha
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro