cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 3770K CPU Loop, High Temps

RobMachado
Level 7
Hello guys,

So I installed my first CPU loop 2 weeks ago, super excited about the new low temps that I was going to get. Well, as it turned out my temps are quite similar to my old H80i. I am idling at 38-40C idle, and under Prime 95 Small FFTS I am hitting 90C. My Loop specs are in my sig. So I have no idea what the hell is going on. My setup is the following:

Reservoir ---> Block--->Pump--->Radiator--->Reservoir.

As you can see I am using both the radiator and reservoir in order to reduce even further the water temp before it goes back into the block again. I`ve checked everything guys, from the block to bubbles in the loop, to changing the loop layout and I am still getting those temps. My room temp is 29c btw (I live in South America). Also as you can see my Vcore is quite low for that Oc, if I increase it further for more overlock my temps will surely go through the roof. Thanks!
61 REPLIES 61

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Since you're only cooling your CPU, you should go Res->Pump->Rad->Block

Just about every build log i've seen, the Res should feed into the pump 1st, otherwise damage can occur to your pump and you can kill it, especially from the very 1st fill, it needs liquid into it as soon as possible. Also what Thermal Paste(TIM) are you using? this can also affect temps too. And what fans are you running on your rad, which configuration and do you have any more inside your case?

RobMachado
Level 7
Thanks for the response Myk. My rad is on the bottom front part of my case, I have two CoolerMaster fans pulling air through the rad. I tried using the corsair ones from my H80i as the RPM is higher but my temps stayed the same and they where extremely loud. My first loop was as you stated Res->Pump->Rad->Block, then a friend of mine told me to use the one I currently have as my temps could improve. Well my temps are exactly the same with both setups. I have a top fan, the stock one that comes from with case pulling air in and a Iast fan on the back part of the case (where the H80i used to be) pushing air out. Regarding the thermalpaste I am using Ceramique 5 I think, I have to double check.

fbm211
Level 7
Is that a double 120 rad?
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

Zka17
Level 16
Yes, I do prefer the Res-Pump-Rad-block(s) order too...

For that CPU you do need at least 2x120mm radiator... IB is running very hot... - I can not identify your specific rad...

Having fans pulling air through a radiator is usually a lower performance than having fans pushing through radiator (with very few exceptions)...

RobMachado
Level 7
Yes its a double 120 rad guys. Zka17, where do you suggest I put the radiator then? Or should I just redo the air flow in the case? I'm hitting 66c when playing Bioshoch Infnite, that's too high imo. There's no way I can go past my current Vcore with these temps.

RobMachado
Level 7
Thermal Paste is Ceramique 2, I used the pea method. Always do. Thanks again guys.

Sorry for the rad pic, damn iphone 😄 Some pics for you guys to scrutinize.

RobMachado
Level 7

Zka17
Level 16
Mate, that seems a single 120mm rad (if I see it correctly)... if so, certainly not enough for your CPU!

A 2x120mm or double rad means that you can mount two 120mm fans side by side, so in total 4x fans in push/pull config...