cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Upgrades?

Retired
Not applicable
Hello, this is a thread for all so throw your two-sense out there. I recently purchaed a Asus G73SW-XT1 from circuit city. The machine has been flawless. I've recently gotten rid of all the bloatware and everything else not needed and I plan to do some upgrades.

Current Specs consist of:

1. Intel Core I7-2630QM 2.0GZ the basic
2. 8 GB Ram installed (First primary upgrade. I'll probably just go to 12 GB since I dont feel like messing around with the motherboard area. Would like recommended manufacturers. Crucial has the nice compatibilty feature to find the exact match)
3. 1.5 GB Nvidia Gefore GTX 460M
4. 2 Hard drive bays but only one filled consisting of 500GB Seagate 7200 rpm (Second primary upgrade. Want to go with SSD around 64-128GB. Also wondering some good names out there. I'll probably use the SSD for the OS and some applications.)

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm new to the forum so just trying out to see how the response will be.

Thanks,
Mike
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
I wouldn't worry about the memory. 12GB won't improve performance at all unless you are filling 8 (which is doubtful). I would definitely get that SSD. It's a really good upgrade for a laptop.

CPU, I wouldn't change it. Basically if you want a faster CPU it's better to get a higher end model to begin with. Later on if software gets too far ahead you might want to swap the CPU out but it should be much cheaper at that point.

GPU is pretty much the same as CPU except you probably can't change it anyway. The GPU cooling system is slightly different for each generation so you can't just change it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Anything over 4GB RAM is good enough...not a lot of programs even need 4GB since were still supporting 32-Bit OS environment.

I Agree...upgrade to a SSD...
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

Retired
Not applicable
well alright then....going to the SSD portion...which brans would you recommend? I looked into Intel but the price is pretty hefty and I also looked into crucial which seemed like they had good options. I obviously dont need hugh size since im just putting on the OS and 2-3 games for quicker launch time. So, of all brands, which would have best performance for say a 64GB model?

xeromist
In general I would say Intel & Crucial are good choices for SSD. If you want more specific models to shoot for take a look at pg 18 of the latest CPU mag:

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/DigitalEditions/Default.aspx
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…