cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have issues with their G46VW?

Psycho_Mantis
Level 7
Hey guys, I have store credit to bestbuy and the two options of the best laptops they have available for me would be the G46VW or the G750Jw.
However, after reading all the of issues with the G750Jw, and seeing the flickering issues from sleep to on on the display in the store for myself, I'm too afraid to buy one.
So I was wondering if this would be a better option for me without giving me any issues?
9 REPLIES 9

Psycho_Mantis
Level 7
You can also answer if everything is perfect 😛

ttran
Level 7
I really like the G46, I also bought that from bestbuy too. It run super cool in temperature and also the battery is just awesome. On normal usage, I got around 8 hours. Game running very smooth too, the build quality is just awesome given the fact that most of the chasis is made from plastic.

Psycho_Mantis
Level 7
Thank you very much for that response

Avinrog
Level 7
the hdd seems a bit loud for me, idk if thats normal tho

Totimoshi
Level 9
Mine runs like a tank, I've had zero issues with it so far. Build quality is the best I've felt in a long time and despite all its power it stays very quiet and very cold. Awesome machine
Asus G46VW
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM CPU
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
64GB Crucial Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 Ultimate

spyhound
Level 7
I've had several issues with my G46VW. HD Cam failed, RMA'd and ASUS replaced the entire screen within a week. The GPU died recently from excess heat (Max I saw was 92C!) with VIDEO TDR ERRORs in a BSOD. RMA'd again and ASUS replaced the mb. Turn around time was less than 2 weeks for that. Even with all those hw problems, service has been good.

i did alot of research on the g46vw and was very hesitant at first but i bought it for a steal at 799.99 at best buy and its been worth every penny it could have a better hard drive stock , its only a 5400 rpm which can be annoying when starting up but other than that its a jewel and a deal for your dollar, if u want to dual boot or do anything OS wise you will need assistance though as the new efi shaped bios is a bit annoying but it can be disabled, this laptop goes for 799.99 at best buy but i think they took it off the website i found a random coupon that had this on clearance for 549.00 and they price matched me so i got this thing really cheap, HIGHLY RECOMMEND FOR ITS PRICE

XKalibur
Level 7
G46VW is a beast on its class. I bought mine from Best Buy and I was between buying the G46VW or the Alienware's M14.
I picked G46 and I think that was the best.
As other user mentioned, the stock SATA drive is a little bit slow, but considering the G46 also have an SDD drive, if you keep the OS and drivers only on the SSD, the boot process is very quick. Keep the rest of the stuff (additional software, games, personal files, etc) on the SATA drive partitions (it comes with two additional partitions on the SATA drive from factory) and you will be fine.
Also, you could move the Temp folder and your user folders (C:\Users\Your_Username\pictures, music, documents, etc) to the other partitions and this will keep your OS partition really clean.
Regarding to temperature, it runs really cool. I have mine since June and I haven't felt a single heat or warm piece of it.
Battery lasts around 6 hours on mine under normal use with default battery settings and with performance mode around 3.

@tgreco7, congratulations on the great deal that you found! I am quite impressed! As to upgrading the HDD, that's not terribly difficult, and generally recommended. ASUS often puts in cheap 5400 RPM HDDs, which help with the noise (and cost), so that they can use more powerful other components at the same price as their competitors. For Dual-booting, you need to disable "SecureBoot" and enable "LaunchCSM". Actually, a number of the major LINUX distros now have signing keys, so they don't need SecureBoot to be disabled.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23