cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD installation for boot files

Retired
Not applicable
OK, I need help. I'm gonna eventually buy a SSD but to save some money im just going to get a 64GB model. The way my current hard drive is setup is that it has 2 partitions. One for recovery which I'll just leave alone, then one with all the extra space. If I were to clone to my SSD, there wouldnt be enough room(I got about 80GB used on my current HDD) so I'm looking for some help in terms of just singling out all the starup/boot files needed for succesfull booting on the SSD. Afterwards I'll move anything else I need (applications, etc.) over to the SSD if it works properly. Anyone have any tips for possibly creating a third partition or what?

Thanks,
Mike
3 REPLIES 3

irdmoose
Level 10
AFAIK there aren't any utilities that can do that kind of migration any more. Hand editing the registry to perform that kind of move would really suck and could get you into big trouble. Your best bet would be to uninstall them, migrate, then reinstall them.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but the least time consuming (and least frustrating) option would be to do a clean install from the windows 7 image in Chastity's sticky (after you've made the factory recovery discs of course). Then install the apps you want/need where you want them to go. You could use a program like Windows Easy Transfer to get nearly all of your user data copied to a file on an external drive, and then recover that when you've finished the reinstall.

Retired
Not applicable
when i do install my SSD, after looking at all the files on my current HDD, could I just drag and drop the windows files/folders. All the other folders just look like basic data like music, games, program files. I would think that all the startup files would be in the windoes folder. Wrong or right?

xeromist
No, the drive has hidden files in the root folder and Windows 7 has some sort of special signature that makes even the normal copy of hidden files have problems.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…