cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW : weird GPU usage

mitchouf
Level 7
Hi,

Just got my new G46VW and I love it, but there is something weird with the nvidia gpu usage going on. here is what seemed weird:
- the nvidia activity icon would flicker but no programs was associated to that activity.
- the temperature of the gpu would rise to almost 70°C for no apparent reason making the fan noise rise.

Worrying that something was wrong with the hardware itself, I installed some monitoring tools and I discovered something weird. Using GPU-Z sensors tab, I saw that, while the GPU was running hot by itself, the VDDC was up to 1.0500V, which is the VDDC generally used while gaming. After a few seconds, the VDDC scaled back to 0.9120V. To be sure, I closed GPU-Z, and sure enough, the temp immediately started rising up again. Launching GPU-Z again showed that the VDDC was back to 1.0500V. In GPU-Z, switching from the Intel integrated graphics tab and the nvidia gtx tab would cause the VDDC to rise again while on the Intel tab.

While running GPU-Z in the background, the VDDC was kept in check and I never experienced random fan noise while browsing or during any other low activity task.

As far as the system goes, I'm still using the standard Windows 8 install and did a windows update (drivers included). I did install the 320.49 nvidia drivers to be sure, but the problem was still here unless I used the GPU-Z trick.

I do hope that someone from Asus would read that post and make sure that my machine isn't going nuts on me 😛
3 REPLIES 3

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Check to see what applications are running in the background. Some applications make OpenGL calls in the background, and that will cause the nVidia GPU to start running.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

adamsyes
Level 8
Did this occur when you first got your laptop or it suddenly happened later on after you got it?

can you upload the GPU-Z temps info? also what Zygo said is also accurate, you perhaps have a program running in the background doing this.
if you don't have much installed on your laptop, I would suggest a windows 8 refresh under settings. or use the ASUS recovery.

but first lets figure the problem out !

mitchouf
Level 7
Thanks for the replies.

I did a win8 refresh and the problem is still present. Nothing out of the ordinary is running in the background but the gpu still heats up and the nvidia activity system tray icon is still flickering on and off. Here is the gpuz screenshot (you can see the drop in temperature and vddc as soon as I launch gpu-z).

update : It seems to have gone back to normal, no random gpu activity, though I still do get that vddc and temperature drop while having gpu-z open, which seems weird. I'd be curious to know if the same happens on your laptops.