cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best PSU for $200 range?

djdelirius
Level 10
Which PSU should I get with a budget of $200? I want one that is modular, Haswell c6/7 compatible and will be able to handle 2 780s in SLI. Thanks guys.
15 REPLIES 15

Krindor
Level 11
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-151-110&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&Pur...
This one should be great, rated high by Jonnyguru.com and made by Seasonic, which is one of the recommended PSU companies. To drive 2 780s 850 is enough but a 1050 will give a great headroom for degradation.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Retired
Not applicable
Krindor wrote:
[url] but a 1050 will give a great headroom for degradation.

Please explain?

WhitePaw wrote:
Please explain?

With the GPU having a maximum powerdraw of 300w (according to Asus DC2 page,yes it ain't accurate), that would be 600w, the CPU if it is a 4770k would rarely do over 300w which makes it 900, peripherals, 100w making it 1000w, this would be during torture tests and benchmarks, unless he is benchmarking or gaming with GPU at max oc with GPU and CPU at 100% the power consumption would be closer to 800w, which gives enough headroom for daily use.

But my statement was "a great headroom" which I now take back as it is false as I thought the 780 and 680 had around the same power consumption, which when I looked around is wrong. It gives a small headroom do degradation if torture tested/benchmarked a lot.

The reason I choose the Seasonic over the Corsair HX is because it was cheaper, by 10$
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Retired
Not applicable
Corsair HX1050 gold , cheaper and just as good.. its a V2 version out there also..
XFX 1050w gold, seems like a decent unit also
COOLER MASTER V1000 2.3 1000W

browse the net..

I think the 1050w platform is ok, correct me anyone, if i am wrong..

But if you planning on some 2 X gpu benchmarking/overclocking, 1050 is going to end up short.. Maybe, maybe not.. it depends on how high you going to OC the gpu's.. pumps, fans, glowing tinsel, lights, and so on.. You know what i mean..

Retired
Not applicable
ok, only the first time i have heard that degradation should be taken into count..

Därför jag frågade..

Zka17
Level 16
Yes, WP, PSUs are degrading too... capacitor aging, you know... - that's the reason why it's better to have 20-30% bigger PSU than you actually need...

Retired
Not applicable
I am getting powerful units, but no concern for degradation..

The reason> Overclocking headroom..

Even your girlfriend will degrade, but you dont get a -20 year old one?, just so she will stay fresh longer.
Well some of us might..

Come on,, ZolT

Zka17
Level 16
Whatever you do, the PSU will degrade over time... it's just the nature of how things are working...

But, that degradation is not fast if you choose good, reliable PSUs... and you use surge protectors...

Retired
Not applicable
Just about everything degrade, its the law of nature/physics

Zka>

And when it comes to electronics its not only PSU that degrade, but also,cpu, gpu, ram, mobo, cables, drives, ssds,case, fans and so on..