cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD Turning off and BRay Drive making noises on G75VW

kuudou
Level 7
Hi all.

I've had the ASUS G75VW for a while, and while I've had no serious problems with it so far (none that I couldn't fix with some Driver updates anyway) there are a few things it does that are kind of annoying. I've actually asked these questions a few months go on this forum along with the notebookreview Asus Notebook subforum and the answers are kind of vague an ambiguous. I'm bringing this up again in hopes that maybe someone has found a work-around.

Basically my G75VW does these two weird things:

-Bluray Drive will make a noise (like searching for a disk or something) whenever I log in, or whenever I plug in a USB device like my mouse, my cellphone, or an external hard-drive. The answer I got from before was that someone thinks this is because the system is somehow looking for a driver, and it's asking the Bluray Drive to run a check to see if there's a disk in there.

-My alternate HDD drive (primary drive is 256GB SSD) will "power down" when not in use for a while. I can hear it starting to spin when I try and access the drive. While the drive works just fine I'm wondering if it's possible to have the drive running at all times. When I owned an ASUS G73 it also had two drives (both HDDs) but the secondary drive was always on and spinning, and you never had to wind it up for use. Although if someone here can tell me that keeping the secondary drive inactive when not in use is somehow good for it then I'll just leave it as it is.

Any input and answers are appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Tsuki
Level 7
I think its a hidden Windows feature/bug/annoyance. My br writer does the same thing when I plug in anything. Its also after I clean install gfx drivers which means removing the old. I think what you said is right, its like a driver search. It does not display this behavior in Linux.

I don't really notice the other HDD turning off if it does, but I have my system power settings set to maximum possible settings at all times. It never sleeps, it doesn't hibernate, and any configurable option that has a suggestion that it may want to reduce power to some component I have turned off. Not even LAN card is allowed to taper down in any instance. I don't think its turns off on my system really. I always have access to it and never heard it stop spinning before.

Maybe there's a power setting allowing it to turn off?
My laptop makes your desktop self-conscious~ Now with more Hello Kitty!:o

Tsuki wrote:
Maybe there's a power setting allowing it to turn off?

You're right, there was. I now have "Turn off Hard Disk After" set to "0 minutes", this stopped my hard disk from falling asleep.

Much thanks.

It's a shame the BD drive thing turned out to be a Windows issue. I will keep looking on Google.

Tsuki
Level 7
You're very welcome glad I could help. Let me know if you find anything about the BR drive annoyance, lol.
My laptop makes your desktop self-conscious~ Now with more Hello Kitty!:o