cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Maximus V Extreme is it worth upgrading to Maximus VI Extreme

Hopkinsstevea
Level 7
I have a Maximus V Extreme is it worth upgrading to Maximus VI Extreme would I really notice any difference in performance or ease of use ?
9 REPLIES 9

Hopkinsstevea
Level 7
Chino thanks for your response would I really actually notice any diffrence in performance even at 15% ? Also would i be able to use my 32 gb of 2400 Gskil Ram (4 sims) on the Maximus VI since its not on the aprroved venders list

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Day to day tasks, no, not even when gaming. Tasks like vid encoding, image rendering, anything that is heavy on CPU usage, benchmarking too...yes you will notice the difference. You may be able to get the RAM to work, but, nothing is ever certain unless you give it a go 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
It is worth it if you need to have the latest motherboards. 😛 Will you notice the difference, doubt it.

Should you do it, hell yes. 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

KPRage
Level 10
Myk, nice cool avatar..:) Back to topic, Hopkinsstevea, Welcome to ROG.. If you have the money, do go ahead mate! 🙂 BTW, what do you use your system for?
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

Hopkinsstevea
Level 7
KPRage I use the system for a little gaming and for a little design work with Rhino the Maximus V is a great board but I have never been able to get it past 4.4 GHz without a blue screen of death so I figured maybe the Maximus VI would overclock easier ,I am also concerned the 32 Gb Gskil 2400 Ram I have will not work with the Maximus VI as its not on the approved Venders list in the ASUS Maximus VI PDF Manual

Hopkinsstevea wrote:
KPRage I use the system for a little gaming and for a little design work with Rhino the Maximus V is a great board but I have never been able to get it past 4.4 GHz without a blue screen of death so I figured maybe the Maximus VI would overclock easier ,I am also concerned the 32 Gb Gskil 2400 Ram I have will not work with the Maximus VI as its not on the approved Venders list in the ASUS Maximus VI PDF Manual

How are you overclocking your system?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your ram will work no problem and should actually work better as Haswell has a strong IMC. HOWEVER not all Haswell processors clock as well as folks would like. You may find you have a golden one, and you may not. So do not hold your breath that the new CPU is a cert for 4.6 or higher please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
HOWEVER not all Haswell processors clock as well as folks would like. You may find you have a golden one, and you may not. So do not hold your breath that the new CPU is a cert for 4.6 or higher please.

Actually, I would expect for lower clocks on the Haswell as on the IB... they're even worse in terms of thermal design... - NO! I would not upgrade from the Z77 platform to the Z87... specially not for the things you're (I mean the OP) using your system...