cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Speaker crackle/static

Retired
Not applicable
Hi there,

I recently purchased a G74SX laptop, so far it's been running great, except for one hindering issue.

The speakers (or whatever speaker is closest to the left side of the speaker grill) let off a crackle/static sound pretty much whenever sound is played, at any volume 😞

I have uninstalled the Realtek HD audio driver, reinstalled it with no avail.
I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the THX tru studio and Nvidia HD audio drivers, trying out to see if the crackle would go away with any combination of these drivers, but no luck.

Also I have updated the bios, that didn't seem to change anything either.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, as it sucks to have this new laptop plagued by such a small, but annoying problem!
5 REPLIES 5

Lubi
Level 7
Hi,

I've noticed that the NVidia HD Audio drivers are just getting installed when you choose the manual installation and not the quick one.
Go to Chasitity's Thread: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference
Download Driver Sweeper 3.1.0
Download Nvidia Notebook Drivers 280.26 WHQL (08/10/11)

Then try this way:
Use the official uninstaller(s) of the driver(s) you want to uninstall.
Reboot your PC in Safe Mode.
Run Driver Sweeper and select what to clean.

Restart in normal mode.
Run the NVidia installation.
Choose manual installation.
Check all options and choose new/reinstallation.
Restart.

By The Way:
What BIOS update did you use? I didn't see any Update for the G74SX...

Retired
Not applicable
The Asus live update program showed an update available for the BIOS, as from what I had to what I updated to, I didn't take any notice sorry ><

I had already tried a clean install of the Nvidia drivers, but I'll give your method using driver sweeper a go and report the results 😄

Retired
Not applicable
Alright, no go. The crackle still remains on the far left side 😞

I don't know the exact speaker hardware inside the laptop, but the left side sounds... lame. The right side sounds clear, sounds solid. The left side, quiet and contains the crackle (sounds like a lack of all bass entirely also)

Not sure what's going on here, but I assumed the 4 nvidia audio devices were something to do with the HDMI..

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/03ef8

Retired
Not applicable
hey backflip, i've had mine now since july 10th and being a part of the first run of G74's i assumed i got a bad one in the bunch, you are not alone with the left hand speaker causing a lot of static as i've found out over the past month, my system does the same thing and the conclusion i've come to is that its a design flaw and a hardware issue and no changing of drivers is going to fix it. i've isolated the problem being in the 250hz-5k range about but there is no exact frequency that the static or buzzing starts to occur. i dont use the speakers often so its okay with me but i know several who have returned the laptop based on this flaw

Retired
Not applicable
Oh dear. That's pretty disappointing to hear, looks like I'll be doing the same and returning it also. 😞