cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Owner of A G750JW

PentiumCore
Level 7
Hi,

Well this is my first ever laptop purchase since my old Dell Inspiron 1300 back in 2005 (still kicking till this day, and still the best laptop I have owned) I purchased this laptop as a desktop replacement and I have a few problems and some general questions I wanted to clear up, and was wondering if you guys could help?

1) Dead Pixel

I only realized this a few days ago when I was looking at a white screen and on the right hand side of the screen there is a single dead pixel and it is extremely annoying. Somebody mentioned massaging this pixel and that it might start working however I'm not exactly sure how and wouldn't want to break the whole screen getting down and dirty, lol.

2) BF3 8fps & Sound Delay

I installed Battlefield 3 and when I tried to actually play the first mission I realized that the FPS dramatically dropped to around 5-8fps and there was an audio delay of around 1-2 seconds. I tried all kinds of graphic settings but the result was the same. The game works 100% on my gaming rig @ around 100FPS on Ultra. I also realized that the menu screen began to lag and stays this way. Another thing that came to my attention was that whilst in the menu screen you hear the same music twice back to back within a second of each other. Any suggestions?

3) Windows 8 on new HDD

I absolutely hate Windows 8 however my Windows 7 disc is OEM so no chance in using it parallel with my desktop (legally anyway) so I'm stuck with Windows 8 for now. I would like to take my 256 Vector SSD from my desktop and install it onto the laptop as the main boot drive. I want to make a fresh install of Windows 8 as I've made a mess of things and settings trying to understand how it all works (how long did it take for you guys to figure out where the shutdown button was? :D)

My question is, how do I get Windows 8 to install onto the new HDD as I can't recall ever receiving a W8 disc with the laptop? I can't find a product key anywhere either. I'd rather not mirror the drive, I've had bad experiences in the long run with mirrored drives.

4) hand over touchpad brings up start menu and loads up apps

This one is the worst, but I'm not sure if this is W8 related or not. When browsing the internet (FireFox) - notably when typing something, and your palm 'hovers' above the touchpad something weird happens and windows goes into Start mode and shows all the apps then loads up Skype or something random as such. I've tried purposefully to replicate this but I can't. It only seems to happen accidentally.

Does this laptop have a start button feature inbuilt into the touchpad or something? No I'm not pressing the start key on the keyboard. It's also weird because it selects an app to start. This happens maybe 6-7 times a day and at the end of the day I have 10 apps running in the background and it is extremely annoying.

Well so far in the 3 days I have actually used the laptop these are my issues with it. I hope to keep this laptop like my previous one for at least 5-7 years - By then it probably couldn't play any new games without being on low res/settings but hopefully it would have served me well. I doubt it could take anywhere near the same abuse my Dell has for the last 7 years though. The other day I dropped the dell down the stairs... continued working like a champ! Haha!

Thanks guys!
Asus G750JW (Poverty Spec)
17" 1600x900 - 4700HQ - 8GB RAM - 2GB GTX765M GPU

GAMING RIG 2013:
Asus P9X79, i7 3930K, 8GB RAM, GTX780 s/c, 256GB SSD)

GAMING RIG 2006:
Pentium D Extreme Edition 965 (3.8Ghz, 1066MHz, 65nm)
8GB DDR2 1066Mhz RAM (4x2GB) CL5
1GB GTS450 DDR5 GPU
12 REPLIES 12

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
PentiumCore wrote:

4) hand over touchpad brings up start menu and loads up apps

This one is the worst, but I'm not sure if this is W8 related or not. When browsing the internet (FireFox) - notably when typing something, and your palm 'hovers' above the touchpad something weird happens and windows goes into Start mode and shows all the apps then loads up Skype or something random as such. I've tried purposefully to replicate this but I can't. It only seems to happen accidentally.

Does this laptop have a start button feature inbuilt into the touchpad or something? No I'm not pressing the start key on the keyboard. It's also weird because it selects an app to start. This happens maybe 6-7 times a day and at the end of the day I have 10 apps running in the background and it is extremely annoying.

Welcome to the forums!

Hope you don't mind being directed to another thread, but the your Win8 notebook touchpad is 'edge-sensitive', so check this 'sticky' thread Win8 Games Minimizing because of touchpad [solved] for information about disabling it.

If you don't tap on the touchpad to left-click, try disabling this feature too in those same touchpad settings.

Hope this helps!

cl-Albert wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

Hope you don't mind being directed to another thread, but the your Win8 notebook touchpad is 'edge-sensitive', so check this 'sticky' thread Win8 Games Minimizing because of touchpad [solved] for information about disabling it.

If you don't tap on the touchpad to left-click, try disabling this feature too in those same touchpad settings.

Hope this helps!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!! 😄

GAMING RIG 2013:

GAMING RIG 2006:
1GB GTS450 DDR5 GPU

Clintlgm
Level 14
) Windows 8 on new HDD

I absolutely hate Windows 8 however my Windows 7 disc is OEM so no chance in using it parallel with my desktop (legally anyway) so I'm stuck with Windows 8 for now. I would like to take my 256 Vector SSD from my desktop and install it onto the laptop as the main boot drive. I want to make a fresh install of Windows 8 as I've made a mess of things and settings trying to understand how it all works (how long did it take for you guys to figure out where the shutdown button was? )

Here are some guides on clean installing win 8.

There is a program Asus BackTracker that will create a recovery USB drive for you. You can us it to restore to factory condition on your SSD. Remember to Clean your SSD before trying this.
You can use Macrium Reflect to clone your hard drive to your SSD

What ever you do you must Clean your SSD to factory new condition, No format no portions this is because UEIF GPT can not install to a BIOS disk of course if it is already a UEIF GPT disk you won't need to.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

There is a program Asus BackTracker that will create a recovery USB drive for you. You can us it to restore to factory condition on your SSD. Remember to Clean your SSD before trying this.

What ever you do you must Clean your SSD to factory new condition, No format no portions this is because UEIF GPT can not install to a BIOS disk of course if it is already a UEIF GPT disk you won't need to.

Hey thanks there budd!

I'll take a look at that first thing tomorrow morning when I get some time to myself.

Thanks again!

GAMING RIG 2013:

GAMING RIG 2006:
1GB GTS450 DDR5 GPU

Hey thanks there budd!

I'll take a look at that first thing tomorrow morning when I get some time to myself.

Thanks again!

GAMING RIG 2013:

GAMING RIG 2006:
1GB GTS450 DDR5 GPU

PentiumCore
Level 7
I take back what I said about Windows 8.

It is the best ever operating system in the world... EVER! (now that I've installed StartIsBack) HAHAHA!

Wowwiee! I get the performance gains of W8 but without a single thing changing. I disabled Start Screen completely! Simply loving it! :cool:

GAMING RIG 2013:

GAMING RIG 2006:
1GB GTS450 DDR5 GPU

Well I like Clasic Shell better myself its free and much more configurable. I still don't like Windows 8 the workstation I tried it on had software that would not run on it that I needed to run. LOL its Asus software for a old P7P44Pro MB
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

B1g_Dav3
Level 7
Clintlgm wrote:
) Windows 8 on new HDD

I absolutely hate Windows 8 however my Windows 7 disc is OEM so no chance in using it parallel with my desktop (legally anyway) so I'm stuck with Windows 8 for now. I would like to take my 256 Vector SSD from my desktop and install it onto the laptop as the main boot drive. I want to make a fresh install of Windows 8 as I've made a mess of things and settings trying to understand how it all works (how long did it take for you guys to figure out where the shutdown button was? )

Noob question - how do you clean an SSD to factory condition? Apologies, I'm not so good with computer stuff just yet 😛

If it helps at all, I have a Sandisk SSD 128GB, just a standard one.
ASUS ROG G750
Previous:
ASUS N55SF

New to this ere special gaming computer stuff, but trying to catch up 😛

If its factory new you don't need to do any thing. If used in a different system then http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766465(v=ws.10).aspx. If I remember right Rewben has the procedure in his upgrade notes and guides I linked that in the above reply it in the G75/55 forum but is pretty much the same for G750.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro