cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CROSSHAIR V FORMULA + SSD In RAID TRIM Question ?

CodeMe
Level 7
Hi Guys

Been doing overclocking for about a year now, And always felt a little out of my Depth on this forum lol, So I kept out (Sadly)
But I'm Braving the water's as my thirst for more Knowledge is getting the better of me & I need Help 🙂

OK so I have a CROSSHAIR V FORMULA & I'm doing a few Upgrades to my Rig.
So I have 2x Kingston 120GB SSDNow V300 Drive SATA 6Gb/s & 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

So my first question is to the Set up of the 2 SSD Drives, Now I hear conflicting story's on this one Guys The first i hear is
that If i was to set my 2x SSD's up in RAID-0 I would Lose my TRIM Support & some say if your Using Windows 8 then this is
not an issue, as Windows 8 supports TRIM. But Is that Just for Single use of an SSD or does windows 8 support TRIM in any
configuration of SSD's ?

You see I know last year Please correct me if I'm wrong in remembering that Intel's Rapid Storage Controller started to
implement TRIM in RAID configurations in the more recent versions of the driver some time last year ?

I'd Like to know Basically If I Set up a RAID-0 Configuration with my 2 x KINGSTON 120GB SSD's On a CROSSHAIR V FORMULA MOBO with a Installed BIOS Version 1703, With Windows 8 x64, & with this set up I'm Using a AMD FX 8350 4,0GHz CPU.

Would I have TRIM Support or if not, Is there a way of Enabling TRIM Support.. If not then which way would you guys set up
the SSD's ? ( Bigger SSD is NOT an Option for now, not for at least a month or two) I'm Skint lol

I Just want to get my New Install & Upgrades Done & Dusted Before I Even Think about Clocking Her again.

Any help or Advice would be much appreciated Guys, I know You guys deal with this kind of thing all the time & I should of thought about enabling my Forum account a year ago lol, but as I mentioned I felt a little out of place, what being a Damn Noob n all lol

Anyway Thanks Guys

Gary

P.S t
The ROG Exchange is not available for my MOBO Right ?
CPU:- AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz
MOBO:- Crosshair v formula
BIOS:- Crosshair v bios 1703
COOLING:- Antec Kuhler H20 920
RAM:- Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz
GRAPHICS:- MSI Geforce GTX 670 OC Twin Frozr Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5
MAIN DRIVES:- 2x Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300
STORAGE:- 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
CASE:- Antec Dark Fleet Series DF35 Gaming
PSU:- OCZ Stealth X Stream-2 700W
KEYBOARD:- TT eSports Challenger Pro Gaming Keyboard

9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate = On your motherboard I do not think that TRIM in RAID is possible. Intel have enabled TRIM on seven and six series chipsets with RAID but not AMD.

However what you want to do is have OS on the one SSD - and use the second SSD for your games and applications. If you RAID 0 you will not get the huge difference in speed that you are expecting. OS wants random reads and a single SSD will be tops for that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello mate = On your motherboard I do not think that TRIM in RAID is possible. Intel have enabled TRIM on seven and six series chipsets with RAID but not AMD.

Hi there.. Thanks for the Reply Man.

Yes I thought as much, I should of come here in the first place to be Honest lol.
You Mention Install OS on one of them, I got & Understand that, But you also Mention Install applications on the other.

Is that just the same as Installing Games, I Mean will there not be any conflicts Installing Programs on a separate Disk ?

I thought they would have to be on the OS Disk as there's the Program-files Folders & appdata etc.
How does that work, Do i have to make the new Programfiles & appdata Folders or are they made automatically.

I've never Installed programs on another disk lol as I've always had just the one Before today.

I know to some this is going to be such a Noob-ish question, lol But hey we all start out at some point 🙂

Anyway Again, Thank you for the reply & your time Mate Appreciated :cool:

HiVizMan
Level 40
No n00bish questions here only questions mate.

You can leave your applications on your 120GB SSD no problems, with careful disc management it is not an issue.

But since you have two you can and I would suggest you do, install all your games on the second disc. Just tell steam where to put them, or point the different game installers to your second SSD. Name a folder games or what ever you want. Then point them all to that folder.

And finally bro there will be no conflict by having them on different disc's.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
No n00bish questions here only questions mate.

You can leave your applications on your 120GB SSD no problems, with careful disc management it is not an issue.

But since you have two you can and I would suggest you do, install all your games on the second disc. Just tell steam where to put them, or point the different game installers to your second SSD. Name a folder games or what ever you want. Then point them all to that folder.

Then this is the Config I shall be going by, I'd be stupid NOT to take your Advice lol

I just got a little confused with Installing programs on the second, But I know Games are ok, as I've done this before with an HDD.

anyway My New GTX as just arrived right now as I was doing this post so Time to get on with my Build 🙂

Thanks again HiVizMan for your Time & Help Not to mention how welcomed I've felt.

Chat soon Guys.. Gary

HiVizMan
Level 40
Post up some photo's once you have done, and be sure to give our ROG RealBench a go please.

Take care now.

HiVizMan wrote:
Post up some photo's once you have done, and be sure to give our ROG RealBench a go please.

Take care now.

No Worries Mate I'll be sure to do that.

Thanks Again Pal

xxl24h
Level 7
Ok i read that advice and i have the same problem and the same sdd but formula "Z" mobo with the newest bios. I taring install drivers for raid0 but i can't. Where the problem is?? (sorry for my English)

solaufein_gr
Level 10
Welcome there xxl!
You must be more specific.
You tried installing raid drivers at windows install and failed?
or something else happened?? You cannot do raid with two existent drives without losing your data or while running the OS from one of them ...

HiVizMan
Level 40
May I ask a rather stupid question where and why are you trying to install Drivers for RAID.

Simply set RAID as your SATA mode.

Set up your RAID in the RAID control panel.

Save and exit.

Use a USB OS device and install OS. From Win7 with SP1 needs no raid drivers to be installed.