cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus VI Hero - Fast Boot + Hibernate/Sleep -> RAID HDD/SSD not identified

Xenofin
Level 7
Hi!

I encountered yesterday an odd problem after enabling Fast Boot and setting SATA Support to Boot SATA Drive only during POST. After I put my PC first to Hibernate/Sleep and then woke up PC, all RAID SATA Drives disappeared in Windows 8 x64 Pro AND in UEFI. I have installed Windows 8 in UEFI mode and boot drive is a single SSD drive. I have two RAID systems, one RAID0 with two SSDs and one RAID1 with two Samsung F3 HDDs (legacy from previous WIN7x64Pro system).

I restarted Windows OS and RAID0 SSDs were identified again in UEFI but not RAID1 HDDs. Only after Power Shut down and On cycle RAID1 HDDs were identified again.

I installed new Intel RST drivers v12.7 (from ASUS support) but this did not help. Then I used RST tool to verify RAID1 and this is running, 11h and counting, and over 10000 media block errors have been found.

I'm afraid now that this Fast Boot + hibernation combination has caused this. HDDs sounded very odd during boot up (crunch, crunch etc.) after waking up from hibernation/sleep.

Offtopic: I used hibernation because for some reason Shut down -button in my Windows 8 setup does not have Sleep-mode (Balanced Power Option in use) to be selected. Strange!

My rig is in sig.
Corsair Obsidian 700D| Asus Maximus VI Hero | Intel i7-4770K@4.4GHz + Noctua NH-D14/2xP14 | EVGA GTX770 SC/ACX | 4x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 -8GBSR@1866MHz| Corsair HX750W | Intel SSD 330 180GB | 2xIntel X25-M G2 SDD 160GB@RAID0 | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | WD MyBook 3.0 2TB | Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray | Win8 Pro 64bit | Corsair Vengeance K90 + M90 | HP ZR24W | Sennheiser HD555
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
No idea why you do not have a sleep option.

I would not want to use Hibernate myself with RAID but it should work. What bios version are you on?

In Win8 sleep is there, but Win8 does not really shut down actually it sort of hibernates/sleeps.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Xenofin
Level 7
Thanks for the answer.
My bios is the latest 0711 for Hero. I found partial solution to my problem with missing sleep mode: I have not yet installed graphics drivers and Windows VGA drivers will not allow sleep mode to be activated. Haven't tried yet if this is the solution.
I have also my doubts with hibernation; encountered lots of troubles earlier with WIN7 and my work laptop. Normally I always disable it.
I'm more worried about those disappearing SATA devices - it is a familiar "feature" from P67 platform IIRC. I'll test other options in Fast Boot settings to be sure I can avoid the problem in future. Perhaps, if you have RAID volumes you have to have them idenfied in POST.
Corsair Obsidian 700D| Asus Maximus VI Hero | Intel i7-4770K@4.4GHz + Noctua NH-D14/2xP14 | EVGA GTX770 SC/ACX | 4x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 -8GBSR@1866MHz| Corsair HX750W | Intel SSD 330 180GB | 2xIntel X25-M G2 SDD 160GB@RAID0 | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | WD MyBook 3.0 2TB | Samsung SH-B123L Blu-ray | Win8 Pro 64bit | Corsair Vengeance K90 + M90 | HP ZR24W | Sennheiser HD555

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you have RAID as your MODE of sata there will be no individual SATA devices shown. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Xenofin
Level 7
OK, latest GPU drivers installed -> Sleep mode available with Shut Down button.

If you select Advanced settings in UEFI there you can see which SATA devices UEFI identifies as connected to SATA connectors. When HDDs and SSDs disappeared, they were not shown as connected in UEFI.

Now - one of my RAID1 volume member HDD shows in SMART status data as immediate failure expected. This happened right after I used first time hibernation mode. I had no problems with this HDD in WIN7 earlier and it worked flawlessly with this MB + WIN8 before. This HDD is almost 4 years old so I understand it is possible that this is just coincidence and HDD has just reached its EOL. I removed this HDD from my PC and dissolved my RAID1 volume to just single HDD (the other HDD is as old as failured HDD). No data lost.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Dude I would have a fit if a drive had to die now. Some of my stuff is impossible to replace. Nice save there mate.

*note to self. Start backing up all files.