cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS title change-When did it happen?

mastersson
Level 7
Does anyone know why & when BIOS titles switched from versions 400s (e.g BIOS 411 for the G71G) to 1000s. And what is BIOS 411 called today, thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Pitcher1
Level 9
what do you mean about this problem? i really don't know what do you mean.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
mastersson wrote:
Does anyone know why & when BIOS titles switched from versions 400s (e.g BIOS 411 for the G71G) to 1000s. And what is BIOS 411 called today, thanks.

Not sure if you are trying to downgrade your bios, but looks like the bios engineers were pretty busy with this model and there were many bios updates released for the G71G (and the bios versions changed dramatically from version to version).
You can see the date the bios was posted to the website under the ASUS download site, so the G71G 0902 bios was posted to the ASUS download site on 2009.05.04.

So, to try to answer your question when the bios version numbers hit the 1000s, the G71G 1001 bios was posted on the ASUS download site on 2009.06.01 which was an update from the 902 bios.

My records show the G71G 411 bios was updated to 501 around January 2009 and is still called the 411 bios, but this older version is no longer posted on the ASUS download site.
If you didn't already know, the latest bios version contains all the earlier fixes, so if you plan to update your bios, you would normally get the latest version unless you are having issues with it (be sure to reload the default bios settings after flashing), but if everything is working okay and you don't have a good reason to update, it's probably not worth taking the chance of havinig a bad bios flash and killing your system.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused too many people :).

cl-Albert wrote:
Not sure if you are trying to downgrade your bios, but looks like the bios engineers were pretty busy with this model and there were many bios updates released for the G71G (and the bios versions changed dramatically from version to version).
You can see the date the bios was posted to the website under the ASUS download site, so the G71G 0902 bios was posted to the ASUS download site on 2009.05.04.

So, to try to answer your question when the bios version numbers hit the 1000s, the G71G 1001 bios was posted on the ASUS download site on 2009.06.01 which was an update from the 902 bios.

My records show the G71G 411 bios was updated to 501 around January 2009 and is still called the 411 bios, but this older version is no longer posted on the ASUS download site.
If you didn't already know, the latest bios version contains all the earlier fixes, so if you plan to update your bios, you would normally get the latest version unless you are having issues with it (be sure to reload the default bios settings after flashing), but if everything is working okay and you don't have a good reason to update, it's probably not worth taking the chance of havinig a bad bios flash and killing your system.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused too many people :).

Thanks. I was asking because I'm the guy who started this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30152-FAILED-12GB-RAM-upgrade-on-G71G-Q1-Where-have-I-gone-... and have exhausted all other means. Basically I've worked out that for this to succeed, I need to look into the are of BIOS upgrading/downgrading.