cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX freezes up and has a wifi problem

Mojojo
Level 7
End of February I bought a G75VX, worked fine for about 3 months then it started to freeze up randomly, although it seemed.
The laptop freezes up completely with a buzzing sound, only option is a hard reset by keeping the on/off switch pushed in.
It looks like it happens more often when playing a video, online or offline makes no difference. sometimes after 4 minutes sometimes after hours. I started to think this was a flash problem, but i've tried everything related to that :complete removal, reinstallment, no hardware acceleration etc. but nothing seems to work. I also thought it had to do with the browser, so I tried several one's, still same problem. tried several video players vlc, windowsplayer, asus dvd etc. still same problems occur.
I haven't had a freeze up while gaming though. but i did get one during just browsing or even while updating windows.
I tried updating all drivers to the latest versions but this has no effect so far.
I did a complete clean install of windows 8 and updated all drivers once again but still the problem kept returning.
so I figured it was a hardware problem, went back to asus they changed the motherboard and video card and keyboard (i also had a problem with the "L") it returned and guess what? I happened again while i was downloading the last update for windows 8 ???
so reset and it did install that one but meant the problem was still there.then I updated all the drivers again, still no result.
This does make me think it's not a hardware problem or is it? what can it be?
At the same time I also have another problem, the wifi keeps loosing connection, it puts it on limited or disconnects totally.
the thing is i have no such problems with other devices and laptops on the same network so what is up with that.
Does anyone have the same problems? or does anyone know of any solution to both these very annoying problems?
5 REPLIES 5

Tsuki
Level 7
The wifi issue could be attributed to power settings for it. If you're not having a problem on the same network with other devices it could be likely one of two things: 1) wifi card sleeping/powering down 2) router issuing same ip address to multiple devices. Its most likely a power setting, so change that.

As for freezing issue, I had similar problems recently while browsing. It was from some rogue windows update that installs incorrect gfx display timeout values in the registry. I'm not familiar with windows 8 but I am pretty sure it runs on same old infrastructure as past releases. If you can get into the registry to make a small fix I suggest following instructions here under "Let me fix it myself" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946 .

I hope this helps.
My laptop makes your desktop self-conscious~ Now with more Hello Kitty!:o

Mojojo
Level 7
I'll try with a static ip address, that should help if it's a double one.
The power is probably not it since I turned that option off, so it won't go to sleep. unless the card is defect.

About the freezing I just fixed some registry files cause I had some suspicions it had something to do with Windows 8 and the video driver and for now it seems to work, let hope it keeps working 😉
Thanks for the feedback

VendettA
Level 7
I have the same issue. i will try to fix it this way.

The freezing could be from a faulty HDD, especially since they have swapped out most of your components, well except for the RAM.

Mojojo
Level 7
Thought I fixed it but it's still there. Don't know what it is maybe it is a faulty HDD. I will have to send it back again I guess