cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS / Cold Boot Issue - Overclocking Failed / Memory OK msgs - Crosshair V Formula-Z

kaefers
Level 7
Hi,

I been really trying what I can to find the issue but I am completely out of ideas by now.
It's a bit of a long topic, so I post the core issue first, then all the details thereafter.
Specs: AMD FX-8350 @4.8 GHz /w 1.45v, Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z BIOS 1503, Mushkin 2400MHz ram, pls see sig / below.

My system is running fine, but I do get sporadic (cold) boot issues:
I (cold) boot my PC, but after a few seconds power on it just shuts off again. ONLY thing I have found to work is to reset, after which system boots with message "Overclocking Failed! [...] Memory OK! succeeds in system booting! [...]". Then I need to load defaults (F5), then save F5-settings and reset, then go into BIOS and load my usual OC settings and it boots as normal. If I skip the F5-step, I get no boot either.

Sometimes I been working a couple of days just fine, with reboots and system being off in-between, then after a next (cold) boot the system just shuts off again a few seconds after I power it on. When I get this issue after a few days it freaks me out, as I though to have 'solved' it, but apart from running everything on F5-default settings, I get this error sooner or later.
I have no idea why this is, given my OC settings work every time when loading those OC settings from F5-default values.

I know that CPU 4.8GHz and RAM 2.4GHz is stretching it a bit, but as far as I am concerned it works fine usually. I understand that it is not 100% prime95 Blend stable, but that should not prevent it randomly from booting, especially when it boots just fine usually OR after loading my settings from F5-default! 😞

Further details:
1) Settings are usually working. I can boot into Windows, I can play games, run prime95 FFTs - I been tweaking the BIOS to get this working and it's been working for the last couple of months.
Windows never crashes, however with the ram at 2.4GHz and CPU at 4.8GHz i get sporadic errors e.g. with prime95 Blend which I never entirely got rid of, but again it does not crash and works just fine. I have no idea if this could be at all related to the sssue, given the system is running fine usually.

2)
- Extreme Tweaker: Manual, no turbo, Multi 24, Bus 200, PCIE 100, RAM 2400, CPUNB 2600, HT Link 2600, CPU SSpectrum Auto, PCIe SSpectrum Auto, EPU Disabled, CPU 1.45v, CPUNB 1.275v, DRAM 1.65v, NB HT 1.225v, rest AUTO
- DRAM: 10-12-12-28-7-6-7-8-12-300-40-9-1-3-3-7.8-1T
- Digi+: CPU LLC UH, 120%, Optimized, Auto, T.Probe, Auto, 130, Enabled (grey), Enabled, CPUNB LLC High, 120%, Auto, DRAM 110%, Optimized, 300
- CPU Config: CnQ: Always enabled, C1E Enabled, SVM Disabled, C6 Enabled, HPC Enabled, APM Master Mode Disabled
- Boot: Fast Boot enabled

3)
- Memory timings are based on Mushkin profile, secondary timings are based on DOCP profile (written down and then saved)
- Issue also occurs with 10-12-12-28-AUTO

Anything, any ideas is more than welcome! 😕
Thanks!
ASUS Maximus VII Impact • Intel 4790K • 2x8GB Mushkin 997122R • Zotac 1080 Ti Mini • Samsung 970 Pro • Corsair SF 750 • NZXT Kraken X52 • NZXT H200i • Ducky Shine 5 • Logitech MX Performance • Logitech H800 • 2x Eizo EV2736W • Windows, Ubuntu
13 REPLIES 13

keithlm
Level 7
I recommend trying 2 things for the memory first:

First: set the timing to 2T
Second: Set it to 2133 speed instead of 2400.

(I've never been able to get my memory stable at 2400... but it is rock solid at 2133.)

Run those for awhile and if they work... try 1T with 2133.... then maybe 2T with 2400. See how those settings work.

After that... don't know what to look at next. (You could also try going to 2400 on the NB until you make sure it is all stable. I don't think you get a huge gain by jumping the NB to 2600 anyway. The 4.8 on the CPU is probably a non-issue... but if none of those things work you could back it down one step.)

Donnymugg
Level 7
Having the exact same problem! VEXING! This issue only happens when I have the computer OC'd. The issue goes away if its at default settings..... but I didn't buy hardware like this to have it at default settings. Makes me rage. lol.
Computer was running fine for a few months then started getting the same cold boot problems you are experiencing! I'm going to keep troubleshooting it. I post if I find anything. Just banging my head against the wall at the moment.

Build -

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M 775W ATX 12V (+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@64A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@3.0A)

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

CPU: AMD FX8350 OC'd 4.7GHz @ 1.4375v

GPUs: 2x AMD HD 6870s Crossfired

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Storage: 1x OCZ Agility 4 SSD, 1x Western Digital 320gb 7200 rpm HDD, 1x 500 HP 500gb 5200rpm HDD

Case: Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower

Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 with 2x H100 fans push/pull.

Others: PCIe Network card, USB Keyboard, USB mouse, USB Mic., 2x 140mm Fans 7x 120mm fans.

kaefers
Level 7
Hey guys, thanks for your replies, was on holidays a cpl of weeks 😄

I've been trying 2133, 1866, 2T/1T, different timings.

I have not had that cold boot issue for a while now! - I must have changed something ha...
@Donnymugg: Did you adjust any DRAM settings under Advanced/North Bridge/Memory sth (you'll find it ;)) - mine came default as ECC on ?!? I also disabled warm boot ram, memory clear on/off doesn't seem to do anything but left it on, and I think mem hole remap can be off these days (?).
Please feel free to post me all your settings and I check them against mine! 🙂

So cold boot issue a non-issue for me right now, but the system is not stable yet.
HCI Memtest found some errors running at 2400MHz; Memtest86 found errors at very low addresses 000xxxxx for test #6 only, Memtest86+ didn't find anything..........

Tbh - 1) I think either the board is weird or my ram 2) Kraken USB connection 3) Demon
I get instability from p95 Blend and not FFT - my CPU is fine; also tested a FX-9590 recently which ran fine but the high-ram-load issues.
And I think the IMC on the chip is fine as well. Maybe the link between CPU and the ram sockets on my board is off. My PSU never shut me off randomly, don't think it's the issue.
2) I sometimes loose the Kraken USB connection, weird things also happen when I plug my wireless mouse into usb 3 in the board. But is it the board or the Kraken control / USB connection.

First think I will contact Mushkin and see what they say.
After that does not work out, I still got the board and Kraken to replace.
ASUS Maximus VII Impact • Intel 4790K • 2x8GB Mushkin 997122R • Zotac 1080 Ti Mini • Samsung 970 Pro • Corsair SF 750 • NZXT Kraken X52 • NZXT H200i • Ducky Shine 5 • Logitech MX Performance • Logitech H800 • 2x Eizo EV2736W • Windows, Ubuntu

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you wish to problem solve your memory I would strongly suggest the Memtest86+ guide found in my sig. Each step completed does a particular work so please do not skip steps. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey guys, thanks for your input 🙂

I not been having the cold boot issues at all anymore. But I am having a different issue now, sporadically and a bit random. My system will just freeze under normal load, i.e. browsing the web, watching a video. No BSOD, no reboot, just cannot move cursor anymore etc.

I now tested different CPU, GPU, Ram (GSkill 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-AUTO, both 1T and 2T). Initially that seemed to make it better, but then I got a set of crashes just googling something. Turned it down to 2133MHz, and same stuff again - also that was with NB at 2200 and HT 2600 as original, CPU at 4.8GHZ. Also using bank 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4 now...

I have all possible unplugged from my mainboard now, just 8PIN CPU (8+4 PIN tried before, no diff), just OS SSD @ SATA1, 24PIN, GPU, and Kraken CPU 3PIN (also this is on the alt CPU header just in case CPU header is sh...) left.

I am just running p95 Blend, playing with CPU / CPUNB /HT volt, VDDR voltage (@1.31) to see if I can do magic. - BTW: How high can I go for VDDR and VDDA voltages, they come as 1.20575v and 2.50v stock, please?
Was playing Splinter Cell for like 4 hours earlier and all fine, half an hour on youtube and it froze.... ?!? 😕

Can an idle HDD cause crashes (disconnected all but SDD); can a USB 3 cable connecting to the MB from the front panel of the case cause trouble; Sata 7/8 ports causing trouble potentially? I am really down to a level of trying to find sth which I do not wanna go to at all...

Now, I will check again with this new ram what I find with Memtest86 / 86+ / HCI Memtest and hopefully find the same as before - i.e. not the ram.

EDIT:
My Chrome brower wouldn't let me log in (?), so back to firefox... ha, anyway, following additional testing below:
- Did a PSU test with a multimeter, 12+ 5+ 3.3+ 12- all perfectly nice (paperclip method), hardly deviating (12.05, 4.95, 3.32, -12.07).
- Currently tesing the ram with memtest86 (memtest86+ later...)
a) When Selecting All Cores / Parallel i get an instant reboot (???)
b) 4.8GHz + 2400MHz DOCP - reboot at test #4 14%, fefefefe
c) 4.8GHz + 1333MHz AUTO - reboot at test #4, 14%, fefefefe
d) F5 Default / AUTO (4.0 + 1333) - reboot at test #4, 14%, fefefefe
e) / f) Each DIMM separately in bank #2 - reboot at test #4, 14%, fefefefe
- Once hung after the reboot, showing code 68 "PCI host bridge initialization" - I checked and de-dust-sprayed all connectors multiple times over the last weeks...
- I really do not thing it is the ram, my Mushkin is currently at RMA, the Gskill is new, also happens with both sticks separately - that'd mean 4 out of 4 DIMMs were broken which is hardly likely.

Anyone any more ideas or RMA the board?

I wouldn't be using *any* power saving nonsense when trying to have a stable overclock (bios/windows) settings. If your machine is locking up w/o any overclocking going on I'd format. Sometimes this might help, boot into safe mode and stay in it. Run sfc /scannow 3 times each time booting back into safe mode. also d/l and run System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7. That can correct all sorts of issues. I'd do that before /format
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Hey, thanks for your reply. I have also tried getting rid of my systems issues by disabling all power saving features, but that made no difference. I usually use offset mode in combination with power saving features to have the machine quiet and eco-friendly when idle - which works pretty fine. Also (as it does not make any difference to manual settings and full blast mode, well...) it e.g. does run prime95FFT and Furmark/Heaven Benchmark parallely just fine. I just think it got sth to do with stuff on the mainboard in-between CPU and RAM, as far as I can explain it... expecially when I get issues with everything at stock too.
My system is quite new (Win 8 Pro x64), and I tested with a fresh copy of Win 7 Pro x64 on a separate HDD just in case. I even unplugged all devices but the USB sticks with Memtest86 / Memtest86+, but as mentioned above got random / not consistent errors.
Will run system file checker - can't hurt 😉
Thanks!

kaefers
Level 7
Just a quick update - motherboard's being RMA'd.
Talked to Asus customer service who asked me to contact Amazon UK (where I bought it in May 2013). And both Asus and Amazon been very good to deal with, Amazon offers a refund.
I been on AMD for the past years and thought it's time to change.
So tomorrow, I'll be getting a 4770K and Asus Maximus VI Formula - hopefully no isuses with that, fingers crossed 😄
Thanks for your help guys!

Btw, a well-overclocking FX-8350 is available for purchase, 4.8GHz at 1.45v - nice n shiny hehe

kaefers wrote:
Just a quick update - motherboard's being RMA'd.
Talked to Asus customer service who asked me to contact Amazon UK (where I bought it in May 2013). And both Asus and Amazon been very good to deal with, Amazon offers a refund.
I been on AMD for the past years and thought it's time to change.
So tomorrow, I'll be getting a 4770K and Asus Maximus VI Formula - hopefully no isuses with that, fingers crossed 😄
Thanks for your help guys!

Btw, a well-overclocking FX-8350 is available for purchase, 4.8GHz at 1.45v - nice n shiny hehe

My friend I am sorry to hear this. But you are going to be quite surprised when you get into your Intel system.

Please do post back here how it was for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.