cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't buy asus before you read this

minisuper
Level 7
I love this G75 notebook....But...... Asus is not very customer freindly. I bought a G75 That pre-installed Windows 8 .
BIG MISTAKE !!!!!

After a hard drive failure I purchased a SSD drive. I called Asus and ordered Repair disks. I gave them all the specs as to
operating system, serial # , the whole deal . Turns out after charging me $61 for repair disks, they sent me Windows 7 repair
disks. AS it turns out after talking to Asus tech. Windows 7 repair disks will not work on Windows OEM. After Going through
hell for 2 week I finally downloaded Windows 8 Enterprise, but it is only good for 30 Days. Asus refuses to help me with a
serial number to validate or any other means other than sending back to the factory for repair or purchasing a full Windows 8 Os.

Moral.... Don't buy any computer from Asus with Pre-Installed windows 8 !:mad:
17 REPLIES 17

Pitcher1
Level 9
please sent message to me by you information like SN, RMA no, name, phone, location.thanks.

Sorry forgot to mention ... There are no Windows 8 recovery disks available from Asus.

It's a shame, @minisuper... If you spent some time reading past threads in this forum, you could've learned how to easily resolve your issues at no cost to yourself while avoiding "2 weeks of hell". But not to worry, you can still read the threads here and learn a lot about your G75!
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I"ve read then all ... NO joy here Asus sucks to install win 8 and not have any repair disks available.... And sure If i would have made repair disks before any problems all would be good ... But that still does not excuse Asus for selling a win 8 product with No support !

Tom_Tromboni
Level 8
I have an ASUS G75. I buy a new laptop every 2 years.
For me, getting an ASUS G series and for my son an Alienware.
The Alienware notebook a Windows 8 DVD was settled. Of course UEFI Install.
Unfortunately I can not tell if I have taken the ALIENWARE DVD for my new SSD hard drive, or will......
I am glad that a Windows 8 dvd's in my house. ASUS has to include a DVD, because I've paid WINDOWS 8.
I love the ASUS Notebook , but if I have a problem, I would rather have my son's notebook.

TOM

dstrakele
Level 14
Y'see Tom - while you were posting your problem, good ol' Intel Dude was posting a no cost solution right above you!

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35309-Win-8-recovery-disc-now-available-in-the-asus-support.... offers 2 other solutions.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Tom_Tromboni
Level 8
INTEL DUDE_____Thank you, Great job,,
You should work with ASUS.

A VERY VERY big THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out this reply from ASUS.... Same old BS SEND IT IN FOR REPAIR !

I would like to first apologize for the issues that you've been experiencing with your notebook. Unfortunately, the information provided is accurate. Due to new security measures to help fight piracy, Microsoft has not provided any installation keys to us directly, and all of our units are OEM activated with specific flags in the BIOS. This also requires an OEM copy of Windows to be installed, which is the edition that comes preloaded on our new systems.

For your recovery discs, I checked with our eStore department, and it seems that your order wasn't checked for compatibility, as it should have been before shipping out. However, once we did notice this issue, a full refund was provided to you, due to our error.

Unfortunately, we would be unable to do a custom install of Windows 8 onto your SSD, as our main system recoveries perform automated partitioning of your drives, which the values have been stored to the size of your original drive that came with the notebook.

If your original hard drive has gone missing, once it was sent in for service, it would be flagged by our repair teams, for not matching sold specifications. It would be best to keep this SSD with you, and do not sent it in with the system. We will use a service drive, and create recovery media for you, using our ASUS Backtracker software that was developed for creating Windows 8 recovery backups. This process no longer uses optical media, but instead, USB flash drives.

For us to create this for you as a one-time courtesy, a USB flash drive must be sent in with your notebook. This drive needs to be a minimum of 16GB, but can be larger in capacity. Once this has been created, you could then use it with your SSD to get our preinstalled version of Windows 8 onto your new drive.

If you'd like to proceed with this plan, please let me know, and I'll have an RMA created to have your notebook sent in directly to me at our corporate headquarters in California to have this issue resolved for you. I would also be providing prepaid shipping for its trip.

minisuper wrote:
Check out this reply from ASUS.... Same old BS SEND IT IN FOR REPAIR !

I would like to first apologize for the issues that you've been experiencing with your notebook. Unfortunately, the information provided is accurate. Due to new security measures to help fight piracy, Microsoft has not provided any installation keys to us directly, and all of our units are OEM activated with specific flags in the BIOS. This also requires an OEM copy of Windows to be installed, which is the edition that comes preloaded on our new systems.

For your recovery discs, I checked with our eStore department, and it seems that your order wasn't checked for compatibility, as it should have been before shipping out. However, once we did notice this issue, a full refund was provided to you, due to our error.

Unfortunately, we would be unable to do a custom install of Windows 8 onto your SSD, as our main system recoveries perform automated partitioning of your drives, which the values have been stored to the size of your original drive that came with the notebook.

If your original hard drive has gone missing, once it was sent in for service, it would be flagged by our repair teams, for not matching sold specifications. It would be best to keep this SSD with you, and do not sent it in with the system. We will use a service drive, and create recovery media for you, using our ASUS Backtracker software that was developed for creating Windows 8 recovery backups. This process no longer uses optical media, but instead, USB flash drives.

For us to create this for you as a one-time courtesy, a USB flash drive must be sent in with your notebook. This drive needs to be a minimum of 16GB, but can be larger in capacity. Once this has been created, you could then use it with your SSD to get our preinstalled version of Windows 8 onto your new drive.

If you'd like to proceed with this plan, please let me know, and I'll have an RMA created to have your notebook sent in directly to me at our corporate headquarters in California to have this issue resolved for you. I would also be providing prepaid shipping for its trip.

The "Recovery Media" should work very well to install to your SSD!
I used my Recovery Media to install to my SSD, it installed with no problem!

Link>>Asus G75VW SSD Installation Tutorial
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"