cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware CrossChill on MVIFormula

Klaian
Level 7
All,

I had a real ugly experience yesterday during leak testing of my new Formula. The CrossChill block leaked from somewhere underneath the block. I was really disappointed that I had to RMA back to Newegg. I suggest to keep a close eye on the block if planning to water cool. I am more concern about the video card as water pooled up on to of it. Lucky no power was running thru the system.

Thanks
Klaian
Asus Maximus VI Formula LGA 1150
Intel i7-4770K
G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5
Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SATA III SSD
Asus VE248Q Black 24" 2ms LED
Cooler Master HAF Stacker Modular Tower
OCZ ZX Series 1000W Fully-Modular 80Plus Gold
11 REPLIES 11

Gomi__
Level 7
Is it true the block is made out of aluminium - Though coated with nickel or whatever materiel. If so, I would STRONGLY advice you to also look for nicks and scratches - Corrosion is the last thing you will ever want.

IcezX2K
Level 7
You may also want to check the size of the fittings you plan to use. My Swiftech 1/2 > 3/4 fittings were to big to screw into the crosschill because the armor got in the way.. However, the case I have (Carbide 540) is well designed and I think air cooling the mosefets will be fine. The setup I have now is not much more then a glorified closed loop cooler.

But with 28c idle and 50c at 4.6Ghz I cant complain TO much 🙂

of course thats just playing a game.. no stress testing. May try that later this week.

The kicker was that the leak was not around the fitting. I had plenty of space for a standard 10mm ID/13mm OD fitting. The leak was underneath. I may get the replacement tomorrow.
Intel i7-4770K
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5

Klaian, can you take a pic of where the leak came from?

Here is a link to a picture. I had already re-box everything to send back. The leak was coming from the opening where the arrow pointing. It was coming from there and dripping steady onto video card.

https://skydrive.live.com/?mkt=en-US#cid=0893F6CD02BA6B83&id=893F6CD02BA6B83%21485&v=3
Intel i7-4770K
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5

warmmilk
Level 7
thats a bummer... I hope its an isolated issue...

Raja
Level 13
Klain, do you have a serial number for the motherboard on hand by any chance? Want to see if we can get this board back for examination somehow.

If you have not sent the board back yet, let me know, we'll RMA it directly for you.

-Raja

Jewcie101
Level 7
Klaian wrote:
All,

I had a real ugly experience yesterday during leak testing of my new Formula. The CrossChill block leaked from somewhere underneath the block. I was really disappointed that I had to RMA back to Newegg. I suggest to keep a close eye on the block if planning to water cool. I am more concern about the video card as water pooled up on to of it. Lucky no power was running thru the system.

Thanks
Klaian

Let me know how the ALU block is working out for you. Coated/anodized or not, in the end it is still ALU. Would love to have my loop run through it but I want see how it goes for other first :D.

Klaian
Level 7
Just following up, I got my replacement board and finished the build. Everything looks solid now. It appears no damage to the video card which was my worry.
Intel i7-4770K
Asus R9-280X DC2T-3GD5