cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG am i killing my RAM

differential
Level 7
So when i first built my rig i had some Corsair Domminator Platnium 32GB which was DOA now after last night having games freeze, corsair LINK2 crash, Blue Screens and Microsoft Essentials not able to complete I ran Memtest and what do you know RAM Dimm dead again. It came up with errors within 5mins and couldnt complete a pass in 6 hours, microsoft memory diagnosis tool cant get past %5 I wouldnt of thought this would be a common thing so im thinking, Is there something killing my ram?

turning out to be not so much of a Corsair fan anymore as my H100i LEDs have stopped working (not a big deal but... ya know)
and obviously the ram issue,thought id get some input from you guys, let me know if you think i should look else where.
As allways, Thanks

-Diff
15 REPLIES 15

Zka17
Level 16
Sorry to hear about your RAM issues... 😞

I know that somewhere you have shared with us details about your system, but would you, please, do that again (just to not have to search all over the Forum again)? You know - mobo, CPU, graphics, RAM kit (which exact model, it's one kit or you mixed two), PSU

differential
Level 7
hey man, sorry not at home
Im not sure of which model of ram.
Rampage iv formula
h100i
Asus gtx780 DCUii
Corsair ax 1200 PSU
x2 samsung ssd
x1 WD Red
Windows 7 Ultimate

differential
Level 7
so i rushed home and got the model no

CMD32GX3M4A1600C9, hope this helps 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are you OCing your RAM or running it outside of spec at all? Or just running XMP. If the latter then it's just bad kits....send it off and get another...a hassle I know.

Have a look at the voltage your PSU puts out just to see if there is anything strange...but I doubt it.

Corsair are definitely trading on the name for a while now I think.....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Are you OCing your RAM or running it outside of spec at all? Or just running XMP. If the latter then it's just bad kits....send it off and get another...a hassle I know.

Have a look at the voltage your PSU puts out just to see if there is anything strange...but I doubt it.

Corsair are definitely trading on the name for a while now I think.....

So very true 😕

I used to ONLY buy Corsair memory, ever since I built my first custom rig (FX-51, Asus SK8V, 2GB XMS3200RE, ATI X800XT-PE, etc), and those first sticks still run 100% to this day (as does the rest of the PC!).

However, they have gotten greedy in a few ways... They not only way overcharge for products, but they have also expanded way too quickly into markets they had no footing, immediately trying to establish themselves as a premium brand despite the quality (or lack thereof) of their products.

It's kinda sad.

Nowadays, I trust G.Skill and Mushkin for memory, especially G.Skill as out of the last ~30 kits I've gotten from them, EVERY...SINGLE...ONE... has overclocked a MINIMUM of one bin higher than spec'd, and most will OC 2 bins higher and with tighter timings than kits they sell at that higher spec! Their Ripjaws Z and Trident X lines are, from my experience/use, the current absolute top-shelf/premium kits of memory out there! I've had a few kits of Dominator Platinums, mostly gotten 2nd hand for super cheap off friends, and they have all been junk considering their cost; not a single one would overclock even one bin upward without loosening each of the primaries at LEAST 2, and who wants DDR3-2666 13-15-16-35 2T? Not me, especially not when retail is 2x or more than their competitors' (vastly superior) kits.

I do miss the Dominator GT/GTX kits, those are some beastly sticks of memory! They were also Corsair's swan song, IMHO.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Have you tested memory slots with memtest86+ yet? I would be interested in hearing if it was the same slot each time that provided you with the errors.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

differential
Level 7
No o.c.ing here I wouldn't know where to start.I do have it on x.m.p.
Hivizman I was thinking the same earlia today.I have just finish testing all dimms individually
To find what slot the bad one belong to but turns out I have two dimms with errors seems strange to me.
I have been using memtest86. How do I check slots? Do I use a good ram dimm on different slots,test dimm1 on slot 1-4 then
Dimm2 on slot 1-4 ............ Thanks as always

Zka17
Level 16
For memtest86+ you check every module in every DIMM slot - that way you can figure out if it's about your RAM modules or mobo's DIMM slots...

differential
Level 7
Mmmmm sounds like fun.