cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New graphics card or SLi my current rig?

metallurch
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to decide between buying a new GTX780 or buying another GTX670. I only built my rig 9 months ago and was pretty horrified when I found that with all of the settings on max FarCry 3 seems to lag quite a bit, and the FPS sometimes dropped noticeably when playing Bioshock Infinite.

Currently the specs of my rig are:

Enermax Revolution 87+ 650W PSU
Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard
Intel i7 3820 3.6GHz with 10MB cache
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz RAM
Asus GTX670 4GB Graphics Card
2x 128GB OCZ Vector SSD in RAID0

I am only running a single monitor at 1650x1050 (which I realise makes the 4GB graphics card a bit redundant but the 2GB version wasn't in stock and I got impatient)

So I am trying to decide between a whole new graphics card (probably a GTX780) or another GTX670 to make an SLi rig. I understand that SLi doesn't scale very well with certain games and I've heard it causes problems with others. I'm just looking for a bit of advice from people with experience in this area. I'm not that bothered about benchmarks and I'm not entirely sure what bit coin mining is, pretty much all I'm bothered about is real world performance in games.

Any advise would be much appreciated,

Cheers.
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, metallurch.

This is the dilemma for most gamers right now. To upgrade or not to upgrade. Truth be told the GTX 670 is a very powerful GPU for any gamer. But would you notice a worthwhile increase in performance if you upgrade to a GTX 780, sure you would. Just to put things into perspective. The most powerful GPU on the market right now is the GTX 690. The GTX 780 is just two steps behind it. A single GTX 670 is four steps behind it but with a SLI configuration, the the performance is on par with a GTX 690.

So where does this leave you? Cost. Pick the one that you're more comfortable with and have less impact on your pockets. Whether you decide on a GTX 780 or a SLI GTX 670, both will be overkill for the resolution that you play at.

On a sidenote, I also own a GTX 670 and I used to play FarCry 3 on Ultra Settings at 1080p with no problems whatsoever. Zero lags. I can't speak for Bioshock Infinite but I've seen several benchmarks and the GTX 670 can pull a comfortable 60FPS even on Ultra settings at 1080p. Something suggest that your system might not be running at an optimal state.

chrisnyc75
Level 12
My guess is you're running your cpu + ram at stock speed? In cpu dependent games, that's going to bottleneck you no matter how many graphics cards you put in your rig. Try oc'ing your cpu up a little higher. You don't have to go crazy, it's pretty straightforward to get it to 4.3ghz and will give you a noticeable performance boost in games like Bioshock & FarCry.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

Masterbobo
Level 7
I had one gtx, I grabbed another for SLI and loved it so much, that I had to have another for TRI-SLI, and it didn't stop there LOL I grabbed yet another for QUAD SLI 🙂

Coming from someone who believed in single card solutions, I now strongly believe in SLI. Especially 2-way SLI, every gamer should ideally have 2 grphx cards in a perfect world. In other words once you feel the power of 2 of the same cards, you'll always want 2 even in your next upgrade LOL

My opinion is grab another 670 for cheap and SLI those babies to double your frame rate with awesome DX11 power. I wouldn't hesitate. All modern good games support SLI, all the ones I own do, and that's a lot of games LOL
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

Masterbobo wrote:

Coming from someone who believed in single card solutions, I now strongly believe in SLI. Especially 2-way SLI, every gamer should ideally have 2 grphx cards in a perfect world. In other words once you feel the power of 2 of the same cards, you'll always want 2 even in your next upgrade

That's very true. I tried to have just one gtx 770, figuring I didn't really need more power than that. But my 770 got lonely and complained, and since he's a very good gpu, I had to reward him with a friend. 😉 Now they play together all the time and they're both very happy.

Still, the OP's cpu at stock speed would be a bottleneck no matter how many graphics cards he puts in his system. SLI is only as good as the cpu/memory used to run it. OP would be well advised to clock that cpu up to at least 4.0ghz before spending any money on additional hardware.
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid

metallurch
Level 7
Cheers for the advice guys, I had no idea that your CPU frequency could bottleneck your graphics performance. I'll have a read into overclocking then. I think Chino might be right about my system not running at an optimal state, My RAM is rated at 1600MHz and strangely enough it sometimes turns itself down to 1333MHz. Still I gather I would need to upgrade my RAM to something which would support much higher frequencies if I were to overclock?

metallurch wrote:
Cheers for the advice guys, I had no idea that your CPU frequency could bottleneck your graphics performance. I'll have a read into overclocking then. I think Chino might be right about my system not running at an optimal state, My RAM is rated at 1600MHz and strangely enough it sometimes turns itself down to 1333MHz. Still I gather I would need to upgrade my RAM to something which would support much higher frequencies if I were to overclock?

All RAM natively installs itself at 1333 mhz, it's an industry standard to facilitate guaranteed compatibility with any mobo/cpu configuration. RAM that is sold as "1600" or "2133" is tested and rated by the manufacturer to be ABLE to be run at those speeds, but you have to set that speed in the bios yourself. If you just install your ram and don't manually set it to the higher "rated" speed, it will run at 1333 because that's what it's designed to do until you tell it to do otherwise.

No, you do not need to upgrade your ram to facilitate cpu overclocking. 1600 is a perfectly reasonable ram speed.

Overclocking your cpu won't be hard, you don't have to aim for the stars (although it's certainly fun to do so!), just aim for a nice simple 4.3 ghz, most (all?) 3820's can do that pretty easy. Just read the "easy oc" sticky at the top of this forum, it's a good guide to start with. 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
The 3820 can OC really well, do read a few guides for the X79 platform before you start. A quick tip is cooling, make sure your cooling is up to the task.

For multicard use gaming wise, I found that between 4.2 and 4.4 was my sweet spot for temp and performance using two 680 cards. With the 3820 you might have to use the 125 strap to get a solid 4.4GHz as the multi of the CPU does not go that high.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
With the 3820 you might have to use the 125 strap to get a solid 4.4GHz as the multi of the CPU does not go that high.

Try 105 x 42 (BCLK x ratio) first, changing the strap to 125 can be tricky. If your chip won't do 105 (most will), then you could try changing the strap (or just go with 100 x 43, which should yield you plenty of power to break the bottleneck). Good luck! 🙂

Xaanix
Level 7
From my perspective -- SLI without question. with your board you can run 3 670s and you can probably get them dirt cheap.

SLI Is awesome and as i said in the other thread (on multi monitor) your goal should generally be to SLi as many cards as you can (until you no longer need additional performance), this is always more cost effective than buying something high end like a gtx 780 or a titan.
Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula x79
CPU Intel i7 4820k Ivy Bridge-E @ 4.6ghz
GPU(s) 3 WAY SLI -- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature (2GB)
Displays 5140x1050 @ 120hz using 3 x Samsung 2233RZ
RAM 16 GB 2133mhz G.Skill RipJaws Z
PSU LEPA G Series G1600-MA
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Storage Vertex 3 256 (Games), Intel 320 Series 128 (OS), + 4TB HDD