ROG Member Array

Build help for Rampage IV + OCZ Revodrive 3 PCIe SSD + RAID 5 + TITANs 3-way SLI

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and also newbie in building computers, but I have good notions of hardware. I'm also a Brazilian (sorry but my english is not so good.).

Here in Brazil taxes applied in electronics are absurd (It is about 2 times more expensive than in the U.S.) , so I want to enjoy my trip to California in October and to Orlando in March to build my computer, which will be used primarily for hardcore games and hardcore video editing (Adobe Premiere and After Effects).

As I will travel 2 times, I want to reduce purchases in 2 parts to not bring much at once on the baggage. In October I'll bring only the main components for already go using the computer and in March I'll do a upgrade , for use SLI , Nvidia Surround and HDDs with RAID 5 . Below is my plan.

OCTOBER 2013
    Obsidian 900D Super Tower Case
    ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
    Intel Core i7 - 4960X Extreme Edition
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
    CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB ( 4 x 8GB ) DDR3 2400
    ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 480GB PCIe SSD
    WD Black 4TB Desktop Drive HDD
    Corsair AX1200i
    18 x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition Fans
    Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Fan Edition
    ASUS VG248QE ( Monitor)
    Razer Ouroboros
    Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth
    Razer Invicta
    NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Kit

MARCH 2014 - Upgrade
    CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB ( 4 x 8GB ) DDR3 2400
    ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN
    2 x WD Black 4TB Desktop Drive (to use the 3 HDDs on RAID 5)
    ASUS VG248QE ( Monitor)
    ASUS VG248QE ( Monitor)
    Razer Orbweaver Stealth
    Logitech G27 Racing Wheel

I have some questions, maybe you can help me.

1 - Can I put 2 Nvidia Titans on SLI and also the OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 on Asus Rampage IV Extreme , since the RevoDrive also need to be in a PCIe x4 and the pictures I saw over the Internet that the Titans are large and take 2 PCI slots. The dimensions of the Revodrive is 167.64 x 98.42 x 15.25mm, it is small. The Titans dimensions is 10.5 inches Length, 4.376 inches Height and Dual-slot Width.

2 - Putting 2 Nvidia Titan and 1 RevoDrive on ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, Can I put another Nvidia Titan to make a 3-way SLI? Without removing the Revodrive?

3 - Since the WD Black 4TB HDD requires a SATA III 6Gb/s interface to optimizes performance. Which is the best way to set up a RAID 5 with 3 HDDs considering the Rampage IV Extreme?

Rampage IV Extreme Storage Specs:
    Intel® X79 chipset :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blackSupport Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
    2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

Should I use the 2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s) from chipset and 1x SATA 6Gb/s port(s) from ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller? The RAID 5 with 3 HDDs will be the secondary drive/volume, because I will use the PCIe SSD (OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2) as boot drive. Or should I use other ports?

Thanks!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by mikaelmsk View Post
    1 - Can I put 2 Nvidia Titans on SLI and also the OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 on Asus Rampage IV Extreme , since the RevoDrive also need to be in a PCIe x4 and the pictures I saw over the Internet that the Titans are large and take 2 PCI slots. The dimensions of the Revodrive is 167.64 x 98.42 x 15.25mm, it is small. The Titans dimensions is 10.5 inches Length, 4.376 inches Height and Dual-slot Width.
    Yes, you can. There's enough room for 2 Titans, a Revo drive and more.

2 - Putting 2 Nvidia Titan and 1 RevoDrive on ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, Can I put another Nvidia Titan to make a 3-way SLI? Without removing the Revodrive?
    Having 3 Titans would leave exactly one empty PCIe lane. You can connect the Revo drive to this lane without problems.

3 - Since the WD Black 4TB HDD requires a SATA III 6Gb/s interface to optimizes performance. Which is the best way to set up a RAID 5 with 3 HDDs considering the Rampage IV Extreme?
    Use the Intel SATA 2 ports (black) to do your RAID 5.

Also, if your plan is to have 64GB, buy it once and for all. Do not pair up with kits of RAM even if their identical. There is no 100% guarantee that they will work together and you might have issues down the road. There is a nice 64GB RipjawsZ kit from G.kill that you can look into.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the good and quick response Chino!

I did not know that risk of having problems when buying separate DRR3 memories lit, although of the same model and clock. Thanks for the warning!

There's one more tip you can give me about this configuration? Or any recommendations?

Personally would you prefer to do RAID 0 or RAID 5 with this setup?

Thanks again!

I wouldn't do a RAID array with the 4TB at all. If you're going to just use those 4TB drives as storage, it's not worth it unless you transfer huge files often. Besides, having a RAID array adds a few seconds to your boot time.

ROG Member Array

OK! How will I work with recordeds video in 4K resolution, the HDDs in RAID are a must because they are fast and keep large volumes of data. To give you an example, a video with 72 minutes in 4K takes 480 GBs.

I didn't find the Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB kit with 2400 mhz on Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy and etc. I only found the 2133 mhz model. Why? I can't run 64GB with 2400 mhz clock speed? Below are the 2133 mhz model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233363

I prefer the Corsair over the G.Skill because the Corsair design. So I'm preferring the Corsair Dominator Platinum.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

The Revodrive is a PCIE SSD and it has raid built into it. Your soon to be pc is gonna be an ultra high end machine. The parts you chose are pretty much the best there is at the moment. Enjoy putting that beast together !

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    The Revodrive is a PCIE SSD and it has raid built into it. Your soon to be pc is gonna be an ultra high end machine. The parts you chose are pretty much the best there is at the moment. Enjoy putting that beast together !
    Thanks Nate152! The Revodrive you help me a lot when I work editing 4K videos! And the RAID 0 or 5 will help me on storage these videos.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Use Raid 0 for best performance.

OK! How will I work with recordeds video in 4K resolution, the HDDs in RAID are a must because they are fast and keep large volumes of data. To give you an example, a video with 72 minutes in 4K takes 480 GBs.

I didn't find the Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB kit with 2400 mhz on Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy and etc. I only found the 2133 mhz model. Why? I can't run 64GB with 2400 mhz clock speed? Below are the 2133 mhz model.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233363

I prefer the Corsair over the G.Skill because the Corsair design. So I'm preferring the Corsair Dominator Platinum.
    Looks like you're doing some hardcore video editing there, my friend. If the budget permits it, you can even drop a couple of these SAMSUNG 840 EVO 1TB SSDs in there.

On a sidenote, there isn't a big difference between 2133MHz and 2400MHz. Even if there is, the difference is so small that you won't even notice it. The reason I linked the G.skill kit is that it has a lower price tag and will perform just as well as the Dominator Platinums. Of course, the Dominator Platinums are prettier. lol

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I would not use RAID 0 get additional hard drives and RAID 5 or RAID 10 you need to have the redundancy that is a true RAID. RAID 0 has no redundancy and is not a true raid at all.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.