cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid Problems with Windows 8 Recovery

abeepak1
Level 7
I've currently encountered numerous posts on this and multiple sites, and at the dealer itself regarding the windows 8 recovery, whereby the files would be lost somehow. Are there any precautions to avoid this? Say, when I restore my laptop to factory settings, is it safe to use the function and do a clean install, or would that affect the recovery partition and the refresh option should be chosen after the "Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows" is chosen? I am asking this because I have actually RMA'ed a G750JX on the day I bought from the dealer despite not having done anything, suspecting that it has been caused by an improper windows install; though I am not taking chances with my current machine.

Thanks in advance for your input guys.
4 REPLIES 4

Slavisha
Level 10
abeepak1 wrote:
I've currently encountered numerous posts on this and multiple sites, and at the dealer itself regarding the windows 8 recovery, whereby the files would be lost somehow. Are there any precautions to avoid this? Say, when I restore my laptop to factory settings, is it safe to use the function and do a clean install, or would that affect the recovery partition and the refresh option should be chosen after the "Remove Everything and Reinstall Windows" is chosen? I am asking this because I have actually RMA'ed a G750JX on the day I bought from the dealer despite not having done anything, suspecting that it has been caused by an improper windows install; though I am not taking chances with my current machine.

Thanks in advance for your input guys.

When you do the clean install you will have ability to chose how you will set your HDD partition. If you chose not to delete your recovery partition, you can install fresh copy of the windows on your primary partition. But before you attempt to do clean install make sure that you browse this forum and get familiar with the fact that your BIOS has embedded windows 8 serial number and when you try to do clean install of windows 8 you might have issue with windows key.

abeepak1
Level 7
I see, so the best option would be to "Refresh" the windows (Remove all Personal Files but not reinstall) when given the option correct? If so, would this in anyway affect the windows functionality? More specifically, would it be "fresh" so to speak.

If you have bug within your recovery partition, you might reinstall windows as you suggester above but that might not resolve your problems. I personally deleted everything that ASUS set up on my hDD including the recovery partition and then installed fresh copy of windows 8 extreme.
Asus gives you the system that will cover the majority of common users who would just play games on this computer. I think every user has its own needs for windows environment which in my case is not what Asus will give me with original windows.
But if you are just an user who dont want to experiment to much on his machine, you can try to re-install using recovery. If that doesnt work you can:
1. Return your computer
2.Send the computer to Service Center
3. Install fresh version of winodws 8
4. Go to the story where you purchased computer and ask them to let you clone recovery partition on your external HDD.
I am not sure if the store would let you but they did let me to do it in Frys few days after i purchased my computer.

Id prefer not having to bring it in once again, hence the thread. Though I fully understand that if there are truly unresolvable issues, the service center is the only way. However, to be sure again, what is the safest restore/refresh options that will allow a fresh or semi fresh windows left intact through the recovery?