New ROGer Array

Z87-pro Q code 76 and cpu light is red

So I had just put together a new build last night and the motherboard's q code is flashing 13 then 76 and the cpu light is red. All the fans turn on. The pc does not POST and continues to be on until the power button is held or unplugged. I have inspected the cpu slot and have not seen any bent pins. I have also disconnected the power to all my peripherals attached to the board and have unplugged the ram as well and am still receiving the same message. Although I have not physically unplugged the video card yet. I have the 24pin connector attached as well as the 8pin for the cpu. The next step if for me to pull everything apart which I would like to avoid doing. I am also using an hdmi cable to plug into my tv but i am able to switch to a vga cable.

my part list is :

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92

ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

XFX FX-795A-TNFC Radeon HD 7950 Core Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY8GX3M2A1866C9R (Red)

i only have until friday to return my cpu if faulty, so i am in a bit of a rush to figure this out. any help at all will be appreciated.

as well I get off work at 4:30 EST so i will be consistently responding to anyone who can help me.
    Last edited by taylor6655; 08-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Clear CMOS (clear RTC), place a single memory module in the slot closest to the CPU or the "third" memory slot from CPU, then power up the board and see if it will POST. If not, take the motherboard out of the PC case (if you have it installed in one), and place it on a non-conductive surface. Connect just a keyboard, one memory module, CPU and cooler (obviously) and connect the monitor to the onboard video output and see if it makes POST. Make sure the board is not warping in any way due to the cooler being over-torqued etc.

I think the issue is memory related off the top of my head so get that out of the way first. Your first post implies you may have removed all of the memory when you said "I removed the memory" so thought I'd ask you to try with a single memory module.

Out of interest what memory kit is it that you are using and how many modules?

New ROGer Array

Hi Raja,

I have edited my initial post with the type of memory I have installed and i will outline it here.

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY8GX3M2A1866C9R (Red)

Thanks

New ROGer Array

furthermore, if my motherboard should work with one stick of memory and the keyboard. where do I go from there? I guessing that will rule out the cpu and the motherboard and will leave me with just a problem with the ram? unless there are issue between the cpu and the ram?

New ROGer Array

Also I just want to reassure that it has nothing to do with the cpu seeing as the cpu led is red when the pc is powered on.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

What Raja is suggesting is that you minimise the amount of variable that can be the cause of your non-working system.

With the above approach the possible causes are, CPU, motherboard and memory.

Now as the CPU manages the PCIe, the USB, the IMC as well as the power delivery the red light on the CPU can be an indicator of many potential causes.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Did you ever find a solution to your red cpu led problem?