cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX-DB71 Did not come with Dual Band AC wireless card with bluetoth

zac_eubank
Level 7
I recently purchased the G750JX-DB71 from Xoticpc.com and it states (as well as ASUS's website) that the stock wireless option is a Dual Band Wireless-AC 802.11 AC/A/B/G/N with Bluetooth 4.0. That is not the card that is in the laptop. According to device manager it is an Atheros AR9485 which according to google does not have dual band AC or Bluetooth support. This is the second time I have received an ASUS ROG laptop without the hardware it was advertised to have and it is getting old. My last ROG laptop was listed on Amazon as having a thunderbolt port, and it didn't. Why can't ASUS and Retailers communicate properly?

My only other thought may be that Xotic PC installed the wrong driver and it is showing up as an AR9485 card. Can anyone tell me what card is listed in their G750JX so I can download the driver? I searched google and could not find the product number of the actual card listed to be in the G750JX just that it is supposed to be a Dual Band Wireless-AC 802.11 AC/A/B/G/N.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

rewben
Level 13
the best help you could get is probably to contact xoticpc about this. in general, you should contact retailers first to get more details about the mismatch of specs. there are a number of wifi cards present in different variants of a g750jx.

Atheros AR9485 has bluetooth 4.0 support. hm all the while i thought it's a single band wireless-n.

From my research it looks like the Atheros AR9485WB is the one with dual support. I can't find even an inkling of bluetooth support or hardware with the AR9485. I contact Xoticpc and so far no word. If someone has the laptop I wanted to see what model number Atheros card theirs came with so maybe I can install that driver and see if that works. I doubt it though since device manager is not picking any sign of a bluetooth card.

zac eubank wrote:
From my research it looks like the Atheros AR9485WB is the one with dual support. I can't find even an inkling of bluetooth support or hardware with the AR9485. I contact Xoticpc and so far no word. If someone has the laptop I wanted to see what model number Atheros card theirs came with so maybe I can install that driver and see if that works. I doubt it though since device manager is not picking any sign of a bluetooth card.

if your wifi card was what @Dream pointed out, a AR9485WB-EG, it has bluetooth support (right, listed separately in device manager). before switch, i had the same card, too.

Dream
Level 7
Hey Zac

Device manager reads my card as "AR9485WB-EG". No idea if it supports dual band or not, but it does have bluetooth (which is listed separately in device manager, twice).

I've used it and it works perfectly. In fact it provided a much more stable connection to a Nintendo Wii remote than the Wifi card in my previous HP laptop did, although that may be due to the 4.0 aspect working better with Nintendo's hardware.

I have a G750jx-TB71.
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Great, that is what I thought. The one that has bluetooth is the WB-EG model. So XoticPC did in fact put the wrong card in, or did not check to see if it was the card they advertised coming with it. Bummer.

kenrom
Level 7
im think about upgrading my G74 to this model as well from tiger direct

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8208716&CatId=4935

but im not sure it has the ac wifi card in it as well....sigh.. which i dont see it listed there but on asus site i see th JX model is suppose to have
ASUS G74SX-XT1

kenrom wrote:
im think about upgrading my G74 to this model as well from tiger direct

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8208716&CatId=4935

but im not sure it has the ac wifi card in it as well....sigh.. which i dont see it listed there but on asus site i see th JX model is suppose to have

If you look on the Asus spec page for the G750JX it says it comes with either the 802.11b/g/n adapter or the 802.11ac adapter...it depends on which specific JX model you get. By default the DB71 and TB71 come with the Atheros 802.11b/g/n card and the RB71 comes with the Broadcom 802.11ac card. The one on TigerDirect, being a TB71 unfortunately doesn't have 802.11ac support.

What does your receipt say, Xoticpc allows you to pick the wireless card (the dual band AC is not the default either btw)

willy
Level 7
why do companies put single band wifi cards in $1500+ laptops when $200 tablets have dual band? If I were you I would send it back and have them install the Broadcom card in there because having only 2.4ghz hinders the performance of a very expensive laptop. Even my G75VX has the Broadcom ac card and its the cheap BB model.