cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Formula build - Help and advice on Memory/components

Ironside
Level 7
Hi everyone,

This is my fist post here and wanted to ask for a little advice with my future build, I currently own a ASUS G73JH and have decided to back to a good o'l PC build, I'm a bit out dated with building my own PC so I thought I would share it here, I welcome any advice/feedback!

I was planing for the below components:

Asus Maximus VI Formula

Intel Core i7 4770K

Asus Geforce GTX 780 DC2OC-3GD5

240GB Asus RAIDR Express Module PCIe 2.0

Corsair Hydro Series H100i

860 Watt Corsair AXi Series Modular 80+

Corsair Carbide Air 540 ATX Cube

I'm unsure about what type of memory (manufacturer & timing) would be ideal for this build? could somebody please suggest one that would be optimal for the above components? I have preference for the Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 4x4 modules. However, again not sure about the ram timings and I also noticed that some have a different voltage e.g 1.50V vs 1.65V. In which the 1.50V version just yielded a heavy-er price! any reason why?

Thanks in advance for your support!
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is one very sweet build, I have long looked at that case and I have earmarked it for my next case build.

Ram if you want the Dom Plats then go for it. 2133MHz and up budget dependant but the key is 16GB. 2 x 8GB is better than four sticks.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

That's great! thank you for the advice and reply!

sureshot40sw
Level 7
this is pretty close to my current build plans .. what are your thoughts on this setup . ?

Corsair 600t (black)
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gb (4x8gb) 2400
Corsair ax1200i
Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula
Asus ROG Raidr
Asus ROG Poseidon GTX 780 x 2 in SLI (as soon as released)
Asus ROG Front Base Gaming Panel (as soon as released)
Intel 4770K
WD 1.5 Tb backup HDD
Koolance RP-452x2 dual bay reservoir with dual 5gpm pumps

all will be water cooled except the Ram and it will have the Corsair dual fans with Dynamic Temp and activity display setup ..

now just waiting and release dates and to plan out cooling system ... I'm thinkin two loops.. a small 120 mm rad/fan in rear for the cpu and MB and a 240 mm rad.fan on to for the 2 780's ..

what do you guys think ? will these components fit and more importantly work correctly with each other ?

Tokens210
Level 10
@Sureshot, the build you posted is similar to the build ive been thinking of

1 thing i found tho in my researching, SLI setup doesn't seem to work on the board when using the Raidr, i was planning to do the same but after searching i found countless post that say the raidr in the formula VI with 2 graphic cards causes 1 of the graphic card lanes to shut off making the second card useless

im not an expert but usually if i find a bunch of different threads all about the same issue i begin to believe lol, also the Asus ROG page for the Raidr now states the same

the setup im working on buying currently is

CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced
Asus Maximus VI Formula
Intel i7-4770k
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400Mhz (2x8gb for starters)
Corsair HX850 watt
Corsair H100i
Asus GTX 770 (possible SLI in near future if i feel i want or need it lol)
WD 1TB HD (probly going bigger)
SSD (Haven't decided yet on size)
Asus Raidr (until i saw all the threads about it shutting down GPU lanes)
Asus Xonar Phoebus( was thinking of also getting one of these for improved sound until i saw it wont work with sonic radar and a few other things due to driver issues, also then realized the newly designed SupremeFX will probly do me fine lol)

was also thinking on getting one of the mini M.2 SSD cards since i saw the Raidr wont work in SLI setups but again saw many posts that said it would be way way faster to just run a normal ssd or use the m.2 in a pcie adapter instead of in the m2 combo
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

That's correct. Haswell only has 16x PCIE lanes. So in SLI mode, the GPU runs at 8x and 8x. I think the max you can do is 8x + 8x + a sound or 1x card. I believe RAIDR uses 4x

[Edit] I just saw, 2x. Not sure how that affects things. Sorry lol

Praz
Level 13
Tokens

It's nice to see someone actually research their build instead of just throwing a bunch of components together. As the specs state when all 3 PCIe x16 slots are used the lane configuration is x8/x4/x4. As SLI requires a minimum of 8 PCIe lanes per card to function you are correct to state that SLI is not a valid configuration if all 3 PCIe x16 slots are populated.

Tokens210
Level 10
thx, yea i like to do my research, some of the parts arn't cheap lol

and as i was saying when i saw the raidr i was like that's awesome sauce i want it, but after a little research and knowing ill possibly go SLI that's a no go altho if i don't SLI it may be a option for me down the road

same thing with the M.2 combo SSD's i saw a few large ones for very good prices and was like that would be nice, a little hide a way HD on my Mobo but the samething, after some research i saw the M.2 drives themselves were native pciE that have been changed but the M2 combo doesnt support the full speed that a pcie lane would so the m.2 ssd would function better inside a pcie m.2 adapter or that a Normal SSD could do the same speeds if not faster then a m.2 ssd in the m.2 combo slot

and as i was saying as well with the Xonar phoebus, i was looking into one of those but even with all driver issues aside and no compatibility with sonic radar aside, my real use is mostly going to be Movies, Music and Gaming so it wouldn't be a good match for me altho i think the break-out ish volume and hookup box is very nice, plus this Formula VI board has the newest SupremeFX to date according to JJ but ill probly just go with a outside the system DAC if i feel i need it which ill need to stay tuned for as i just saw a press release saying Asus is announcing or just announced a nice 7.1 supported one

i tend to atleast try to tackle things i know about but am no expert in in the same way, Read, Read, Read, watch videos, tutorials, read, read, read and when im finally tired or reading, read some more, or watch some more videos with JJ lol

yes your correct Johndong, the Asus sound cards run on the PCIe x1 lane which will work fine, just the lane split when SLI and Raidr on the x8/x8 thats a mismatch
if the 2x ur refering to is in sureshots posts he's shooting for a Quad SLI, not to be confused with 4-way, another thing i learned during research lol, 2 cards that both are dual GPU's, basically supposedly making the 2way SLI the same as a 4way due to the fact theres 4 GPU's total inside the 2 cards
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo