cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Phoebus Sound Quality, no bass, Settings

Manson_Fan
Level 7
Hello from Russia.
recently bought this card. I Was expecting a super detailed sound and powerful bass but was surprised when I found nothing of this.
I've listen through with my 200$ headphones: Audio-Technica m50, Audio-Technica pro700 mk2. On the Cowon c2 they jumped on the head because of bass, but with phoebus - nothing like that.
the sound quality varies only with Dolby preset, but not for the better - there is simply an echo, as in a movie theater. without EQ and other sound card software settings it sounds almost as well as built-in realtek.
Who set up phoebus for clear sound and powerful bass and separately for the Battlefield? want to know good settings.
thanks)
7 REPLIES 7

KILLER_K
Level 10
You should cut on the flex bass. That should sort out your issue with the sound card.

Oh funny how I don't need flex bass when its on 5.1 settings on speakers but then again I prob need it if im using headphones right?

izzyreb02
Level 9
I have notice just a little cut out from the sound when im playin music and playin a game, like the music skips out like a millisecond and back to normal.

(it doesn't happen every time or such just tiny ounce in moments or such when im either doing 2 or 3 things at once, it didn't do that before but I don't know if it has something to do with when I unscrew the protection bracket to check on the chip that I did before and I forgot to plug the power plug in when I put it back in its spot but I quickly turn the computer off before it started windows and put the power plug back in)

Manson_Fan
Level 7
what you can say guys about Phoebus vs Xonar STX vs Creative ZXR?

Manson_Fan wrote:
what you can say guys about Phoebus vs Xonar STX vs Creative ZXR?

I do like my Essence STX sound card, but I'm not a serious gamer.
Might look into getting a Titanium (non-HD) or Titanium HD and adding an external headphone amplifier, like the Schiit Magni or O2 (Objective 2).
The Titanium drivers have had more time to mature, compared to newer cards and those external headphone amplifier are a little more desirable, compared to the sound card intergrated head amps.

KILLER_K
Level 10
The Xonar STX is still the best sound card for headphones. Plus the fact you can swap out the op amps to richen the sound. The creative ZxR drivers actually work in Windows 8 and is WHQL. Unlike the non supported Pheobus, were no drivers are being released but two beta ones in a year. And now WHQL drivers. Sad to see Asus go down like this.

Official/Unofficial? Beta Tester For The Asus Pheobus ROG Xonar 2012 - 2013

Tacoboy
Level 7
Manson_Fan wrote:
Hello from Russia.
recently bought this card. I Was expecting a super detailed sound and powerful bass but was surprised when I found nothing of this.
I've listen through with my 200$ headphones: Audio-Technica m50, Audio-Technica pro700 mk2. On the Cowon c2 they jumped on the head because of bass, but with phoebus - nothing like that.
the sound quality varies only with Dolby preset, but not for the better - there is simply an echo, as in a movie theater. without EQ and other sound card software settings it sounds almost as well as built-in realtek.
Who set up phoebus for clear sound and powerful bass and separately for the Battlefield? want to know good settings.
thanks)

Did you disable (in the BIOS) the motherboard's on-board audio?