cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watercooling advice needed

Xaanix
Level 7
I'm ready to put my parts list together for watercooling my rig. At first I am going to go CPU only (as getting waterblocks for my gpus will raise the price significantly).

My short term build plans are to:
1. replace my PSU with a LEPA 1600W (currently shipping), sell my 1000W cooler master psu.
2. upgrade to 4820k in september, sell my 3820
3. get a water loop in place...
4. overclock the hell out of the 4820k

In doing some research i have a few questions:
1. I've noticed the MCP655 has a PWM version, and i believe this is new to this lineup. What does PWM mean and why is this desirable? Does the pump output have to match my tubing? (why or why not?) http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13148/ex-pmp-132/Alphacool_VPP655_Variable_Speed_Pump_-_HF_Top_Edi...
2. I'm planning to get 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing. recommendations for specific tubing types are welcome.
3. I already have a raystorm (black). Looking for compression fittings for 1/2 ID 3/4 OD that will fit on a raystorm.. Recommendations welcome
4. I'm looking for a good tubular reservoir.
5. For the Rad, i'm thinking of using this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16236/ex-rad-410/Alphacool_NexXxoS_Monsta_Dual_120mm_Radiator_-_80... which i believe would fit in the bottom of a cosmos 2 ultra (removing the lower hard drive cage)
6. looking for fan recommendations. Lighting should match ROG red/black theme.
7. Any warnings regarding corrosion are welcome. I know there are certain 'do not mix x and y' things in regards to watercooling.
Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula x79
CPU Intel i7 4820k Ivy Bridge-E @ 4.6ghz
GPU(s) 3 WAY SLI -- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature (2GB)
Displays 5140x1050 @ 120hz using 3 x Samsung 2233RZ
RAM 16 GB 2133mhz G.Skill RipJaws Z
PSU LEPA G Series G1600-MA
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Storage Vertex 3 256 (Games), Intel 320 Series 128 (OS), + 4TB HDD
48 REPLIES 48

Zka17
Level 16
1. The pump you linked it's a variable speed version of the D5... it means that on it's back it has a small knob (well, a something) and by turning it the speed of your pump will go up and down... - you have to pay attention how you're building in your system... if you want to use that function, you have to have accessibility to that knob...

2. Tubing is really your choice... I have tried the Tygon ones, but my final vote goes for the Primochill Primoflex brand... Size for the tubing doesn't really matter, the blocks will define the flow by their restriction rate anyway (and the blocks will be always more restrictive than the tubing). Personally, I like tubing with thicker wall... - for that reason i'm going with the ID 3/8" and OD 5/8" size...

3. Compression fittings... - I think, the best ones are from Bitspower... but they're pretty expensive... lately I have tried some Swiftech and EK and they're performing pretty feel - for half of the price...

4. I was also getting reservoirs (like most of my graphics blocks) from EK... but doesn't really matter, all of them working on the same principle... - chose something which fits your case and you like it...

5. The NexXxos Monsta rads are the bests out there! Specially if you want high cooling efficiency with low noise... for a single CPU that one should be fine

6. Regarding the corrosion you have to pay attention basically to a single thing: do not mix aluminum and copper in the same loop! Based on your description above, you will be fine... when you're cleaning your loop (you will have to do it periodically), take apart your blocks and use some vinegar to clean them, also you can flush your rads with that vinegar solution - or just use orange juice instead of vinegar, doesn't matter, but do rinse the parts in tap water and distilled water after...

Zka17 wrote:
1. The pump you linked it's a variable speed version of the D5... it means that on it's back it has a small knob (well, a something) and by turning it the speed of your pump will go up and down... - you have to pay attention how you're building in your system... if you want to use that function, you have to have accessibility to that knob...

So does PWM just mean adjustable pump speed?

Xaanix
Level 7
So 1/2" 3/4" is even thicker than what you use...

I've heard compression fittings are more expensive than barbs. Since i wont have my gpu's in the loop, i think compressions shouldnt be cost prohibitive at this point.

is there any reason not to mix compressions and barbs?.

Aren't nearly all these waterblocks made of copper? or is that not in direct contact with the water?

So i guess having a copper waterblock would mean all my fittings and everything (even the pump internals) would need to be copper?

When you say a fitting performs well.. what does that mean? (no leaks? easy to put on/take off?)

Xaanix wrote:
So 1/2" 3/4" is even thicker than what you use...

It's about the same - 6.35mm...

There is absolutely no reason why not to mix compression fittings with barbs... - I just like to use clamps with barb fittings...

Yes, most of today's waterblocks are made of copper... actually rads too - sometimes however, you can get aluminum rads... those are which shoulkd not be mixed with other copper parts...

The fittings are usually brass, they're fine...

Yes, a fitting performs well when there is no leaks around it...

Xaanix
Level 7
Ok cool... any recommendations for fans? 120mm?

Zka17
Level 16
Noctuas, Cougars, Gentle Typhoons... - those for quiet operation on that Monsta rad...

chrisnyc75
Level 12
If I may piggy-back off the fan question -- with an extra thick radiator (50mm+), how important is it to have fans in push-pull config? Running a 360 or 480 radiator in push-pull means having 6-8 fans, which could be rather noisey. Can a good static pressure fan push air all the way through the radiator sufficiently without a second fan pulling? Or do you just have to bite the bullet and accept that with that kind of thickness you're going to need push-pull to properly move the heat?
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

fbm211
Level 7
Good choice on the raysrorm since its one of the most non restrictive out there.
I used all bitspower barbs in my loop and found them to provide a very snug fit...more so than the enzotech. I also went with the bitspower Res but should have gone with an EK..
I would suggest push pull with a rad that thick. I use noctua NF-F12s.
Noctuas are very quiet if you use that resister thing they come with to run them at 1200 instead of 1500 rpm.
Gentle typhoons are supposed to be the most quiet according to martins labs.
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

I plan to do push pull in the bottom of my cosmos 2 ultra case, there is a removable hd cage where a RAD can go and the width is tremendous ( I could probably put 2 of these 80mm rads side by side with fans inbetween and on the sides) Anyway it should easily fit the 80mm thick rad, and fans on each side in push/pull.