cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 on G750JX?

Erik98
Level 7
Hi there!

I am going to buy the ASUS ROG G750JX with W8, and I wonder if you can install W7 on it instead, I have seen walkthroughs on
how to do it.

example 1: Get Windows 7, boot computer and insert disc, shutdown the computer, start it and enter the startup menu where you select the program to start your computer with, then remove W8 and install W7. Bios will then have to be downloaded and installed for W7. (I don't know if this is possible, since I can't find any W7 bios for the ROG laptop motherboards, can't even find the W8 ones....)

example 2: Insert a W7 harddrive and run the computer. (Bios needed here too *sadface*).

So for starters, I need to know if theres any W7 bios for the G750JX, and if the CPU/GPU etc will work in W7.

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
No, that's not quite it. Where did you read that? To my knowledge, you simply enable CSM (or disable EFI boot) and disable Secure Boot. Then, you insert your Win7 installation media and away you go (you may need to convert the disk to MBR as well using diskpart).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Pro-Star installed Win 7 on my G750JX, without a hitch so far as I am aware. If you do a search there are a few guides on how to do a Win 7 clean install on the 750. ASUS does not officially support it, but all the drivers work fine from my experience. (I don't think Pro-Star would be shipping notebooks out if this were not the case).

I would have done it myself but I honestly couldn't be bothered to downgrade Windows again, after doing so a few weeks before on my girlfriend's Samsung laptop. Major head ache. Probably the best $90 I spent during the whole purchase from Prostar.

At the same time, if Win 8 is ever *actually* fixed, the key is embedded into the motherboard so I should be able to "upgrade" without any issues. But I really don't know if that day is coming. Win 8 is a mess from what I've seen.
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think if you have win 7 DVD, you can install it, also download drivers and utilities from asus support site.

Pitcher@asus wrote:
i think if you have win 7 DVD, you can install it, also download drivers and utilities from asus support site.

Do you need a new serial number? In the past you could apply to Microsoft for a downgrade license from 8 to 7, but doesn't g750 use the bios for the serial number somehow? Would it take a Win 7 install the same way?

Al_Jourgensen
Level 7
when i try to install, windows 7, the configuration from the OS, don´t let me install on GPT partitions, and all are GPT, do someone have an idea for this?

It is a bit late perhaps, but check out this http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?p=200 post. You can find the procedure for how to change GPT to MBR by searching the article for "diskpart". Hope it helps. Replace the stars with "t w e a k a r e n a" (without the spaces), dunno what's going on here - seems like Asus is censoring the article...

STEPS

1. After all steps of en abling launch CSM and disabling security check from BIOS. Please read it , its there on many forums

and check on youtube too.

2. U can download sp1 windows 7 copy. I had some issues with previous release , drivers not find during boot. So have latest release .

3. Download Rufus utility to create bootable Windows 7. I think this only utility easily available for creating GPT partiions on bootable USB drive. Microsoft says Windows 7 supports but wtf its pain to install it.

4. After you enable Launch CSM and disable fast boot . After creating your bootable USB too with GPT partitions. Again restart your laptop and press esc at ROG screen repeatedly.

5. Select UEFI option. Like kingston usb drive will looke like Kingston UEFI.

6. Then WIndows will start loading. At drive selection it will through error for GPT partition but u can ignore that and continue.

7. Make sure you are using sp1 of win7 . I used this so earlier issues didnt reoccur.

8. You will have to use Rufus like utility to create bootable drive with GPT.

This will surely install win7 then you will have to download.

1. ATK package for windows 7 from Asus site.

2. Download GEforce drivers for GTX770m. Dont do it from Asus. I found the site to very bullsh*t to use.

Go to nvidia site.

3. Realtek audio drivers.

4. Rest you can check and download form manufacturers site.

5. Check you Asus manul too to download utilties. Its there in Windows 8 User guide.

Thanks

Hi,
Can anyone please enlist the drivers require with Windows7 and provide the link. I installed Windows7 on my G750jx but wireless is not working. I am not sure which drivers are missing and what utilities or drivers I need to install.
It will be good if someone provide the list of important drivers and link to the site from where we could download the drivers.
Thank you all for your help.

its posted above, infact the forum that it was originally one mentions your exact question.
its http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?155-ASUS-G750JW-Windows-7-clean-install-guide
replace the ***** with tweak