Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Sabertooth Z87 doesn't recognise graphics card

Hello

I'm experiencing a weird issue with my new Sabertooth Z87 motherboard and I wondered if anyone else has had the same problem / could suggest a solution?

The motherboard only intermittently recognises my Asus GTX 770 graphics card when it is installed in the topmost PCI-E 16x slot (PCIEX16_1). When booting from cold, the PC always reverts to the integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics. This is despite me changing the ‘Primary Display’ setting in the BIOS from Auto to PCIE.

The strange thing is when I reset the computer the motherboard will sometimes, but not always, recognise the graphics card and use it instead of the integrated graphics. Also, when I put the graphics card in the second PCI-E 16x slot (PCIEX16_2) the motherboard always recognises the graphics card and the PC runs completely fine, albeit with the graphics at PCI-E 8x rather than 16x.

I’m beginning to think the motherboard is just faulty and that I should return it, though I’m open to suggestions. I’ve only had the motherboard for 3 days and most of that time has been tinkering with BIOS settings, trying different component combos and reading online forums in an effort to get it working properly. Oh, and I’m using the latest BIOS for the board (1205).

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Here are my system specs:
    • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K
    • RAM: Corsair DDR3 Vengeance CL9 16GB (4x4GB)
    • Graphics: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II OC
    • PSU: Seasonic Platinum 760W
    • Monitor: NEC SpectraView 232

Cheers!

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Welcome to thee ROG forums, Akele.

Have you verified if your GPU is properly seated into the PCIe slot? Nowadays, GPUs are getting bulkier and bulkier that sometimes that sag a little when using the first PCIe slot. Sometimes one might think that it is inserted properly but it isn't making good contact.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Welcome to thee ROG forums, Akele.

Have you verified if your GPU is properly seated into the PCIe slot? Nowadays, GPUs are getting bulkier and bulkier that sometimes that sag a little when using the first PCIe slot. Sometimes one might think that it is inserted properly but it isn't making good contact.
    Hi Chino

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the GPU certainly is pretty hefty, but it appears to be properly seated. I've take it out and put it back in again two or three times now. Thanks.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Please do the following.

Clear CMOS

Remove your VGA cable and connect it only to the discrete graphics card. Which you have checked that the power cables are correctly and firmly seated.

Power your system up.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

One thing that make me suspicious the board may well be faulty (aside from the fact it's not working properly) is that it appears to have been a customer return. When I received the motherboard box it wasn't sealed and all the internal packaging had clearly been opened. Also, when I when to register the motherboard serial no on the Asus website I got a message saying that it had already been registered. I think my retailer (Scan) has resold a returned board (possibly RMA'd) to me as new.

I've contacted Asus tech support about the intermittent graphics issue to see if they have any suggestions too. I'd be interested to know if the board's previous owner also contacted them with the same problem. He/she certainly registered it on the Asus pages before returning it to Scan for a refund/exchange.

Thanks

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Please do the following.

Clear CMOS

Remove your VGA cable and connect it only to the discrete graphics card. Which you have checked that the power cables are correctly and firmly seated.

Power your system up.
    Hi HiVisMan

Thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested. It hasn't fixed the issue but here's what happened:

1. Moved CMOS jumper to clear, waited a few seconds, moved it back and PC immediately powered up. Fans spun up on PC, span down again, then span up again. Motherboard cycled through LED warning lights twice, on the second time the BOOT_DEVICES_LED stayed on and PC booted into the American Megatrends splash screen with the message "Please Enter Setup to recover BIOS setting", "Press F1 to enter setup". I pressed F1, went into the BIOS saved it then exited.

2. PC rebooted on exiting BIOS. Motherboard ran through LED warning lights, this time all went off and PC booted into windows as normal. Checked CPU-Z and GTX770 seems working ok though only at PCIE x8. Went to start restart windows.

3. PC restarts after exiting windows. Screen stays black. No Ultimate Force splash screen or windows loading screen or windows desktop. Turned off monitor, plugged display port into motherboard graphics out, turned monitor back on. Windows desktop appears. Went into CPU-Z and it shows that PC is using Intel HD 4600 graphics. Tried nVidia control panel and error message appears saying card not installed. Looked inside case and VGA_LED is not on (neither are any other of the warning LEDs). Went to restart windows.

4. PC restarts after exiting windows. Again the PC boots up using Intel HD 4600 graphics. Went to start, shutdown and PC powers off.

5. Power on PC. Motherboard runs through LED warning light sequence. Utlimate Force splash screen appears. PC boots into windows as normal. Checked CPU-Z and GTX 770 is now working again, though still only at PCIE 8x bandwith. nVidia control panel working as normal. Played Crysis 3 for a few minutes and it seems to be working fine. Went to restart windows.

6. PC restarts after exiting windows. Screen stays black. Plugged in display port cable to motherboard and monitor and windows desktop appears. Checked CPU-Z and Intel HD 4600 graphics being used. Went to start, shutdown and PC powers off.

7. Turned power off at the wall. Waited till green power LEDs on motherboard and graphics card went out. Turned power back on at wall. Turned on PC and screen stays black. Plugged in displayport into motherboard, windows desktop appears, CPU-Z reports Intel HD 4600 graphics being used. Went to start, shutdown and PC powers off.

8. Turned on PC, Ultimate force splash screen appears, PC boots into windows. Checked CPU-Z and GTX 770 being used, again at PCIE x8 bandwith.

So.... in short, the graphics issue isn't totally intermittent as there appears to be a pattern to it. This is:

Very Cold boot - Motherboard doesn't recognise GTX 770 and reverts to Intel HD 4600 graphics
    Cold boot - Motherboard recognised and uses GTX 770
    Windows Restart - Motherboard doesn't recognise GTX 770 and reverts to Intel HD 4600 graphics

This test was run with the BIOs settings as standard after CMOS cleared. I'm pretty sue that yesterday, after turning off fast boot in the BIOS, the PC would use the GTX 770 some of the time after restarting windows, but not always.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I took the week off work to build and use the new PC so I've now got some spare time.

Thanks for any more suggestions!

OK no worries.

Can you please try a different VGA cable please for the 770.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

OK no worries.

Can you please try a different VGA cable please for the 770.
    Thanks HiVisMan

I've tried using a display port cable and two different DVI cables (one which came with my old monitor, one which came with my new monitor). It doesn't seem to make a difference which cable I use. The issue is still present.

Hmm - any chance of borrowing another VGA to test if the same thing happens?

ROG Member Array

Hmm - any chance of borrowing another VGA to test if the same thing happens?
    I'll give that a try this evening and get back to you with the result. Thanks for the help thus far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast