cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant update RIVF BIOS 2105

xmanrigger
Level 12
I received a RIVF from Asus RMA. This board looked to be brand new upon inspection.

MOBO: Rampage IV Formula BIOS 2105
CPU: i7-3820
MEM: 16GB HyperX 2133
VGA: Asus GTX760
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
PSU: AX1200i

A couple of issues.

I attempted to update the BIOS to the latest from within the BIOS with EZ Flash. I have updated BIOSs in this way on many mobos without issue. This board is an exception.
I DL'd BIOSs 4310, ran the renamer utility to change to R4F.CAP. When I go to flash, EZ Flash says it isnt proper BIOS. I cant remember exact wording of error, but was something like "not an EFFI BIOS" (sorry, client machine and cant recheck at moment). I then tried BIOS update 4208 with same result.
I then switched to the second onboard mobo BIOS and get same error. Thinking possibly the BIOS was still in ROM format, I attempted to run the BIOS CAP converter again. Got same error message.

So, no luck with BIOS update, so I go to install Win7 on fresh brand new HyperX 3K SSD, connected to Intel SATA6 #1 port. SSD not seen in BIOS. Check SATA mode and it is in ACHI mode. Try IDE mode still no luck. Switch to 2nd BIOS and SSD is seen and recognized by BIOS, and Win7 installed (ACHI mode).

I am using a RIVF with an i7-3930K myself, and have encountered no issues whatsoever. I am 99% confident there is no issue with the HyperX memory as it was running rock solid on my RIVF just prior. Also, I have done numerous BIOS updates on my RIVF in the same fashion without issue.

Also, the GTX760 came with a GPU power plug extension to combine two PSU PCI-E power plugs into one. Is this actually required? It seemed as though it is because PC was taking a long time to post until I connected both.

Searching google, I cam across a couple of issues as to using an i7-3820 on the RIVF. Is this true?
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil
5 REPLIES 5

mrmojorisin
Level 10
If you are already on 2105 there is nothing special you need to do to update. Perhaps you messed something up doing so? Just download the new BIOS file (4310 or 4208 or whatever) to a FAT-32 formatted USB drive and unzip the file. Then from within the BIOS use the EZ Flash utility under the Tools tab. It should find the BIOS file on the USB drive automatically.

Nodens
Level 16
xmanrigger try using USB flashback as it looks like corruption. If you can't make it with USB flashback method. I'll guide you through another method to recover.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
xmanrigger try using USB flashback as it looks like corruption. If you can't make it with USB flashback method. I'll guide you through another method to recover.

Thanks for reply Nodens. You may be correct. And will give it a go. But after reading mrmojorisin"s reply, something came to mind. I did format the flash drive as ntfs and not fat32. I think maybe that might be why. I will format to FAT32 and try it again. I can see the file in EZ Flash, but it says it isnt right BIOS. As I said, I have used this method on numerous Asus boards for generations. Never had an issue.

When I get a chance, I will try it again. If it doesnt work, then I will try your suggestion.

Thanks.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

Nodens
Level 16
If the flash drive is formatted NTFS then that's certainly your culprit. It MUST be formatted FAT32 for sure.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Fat formatted USB for BIOS flash - no option but to do that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.