cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No devices found, CPU fan error, and Windows not loading!!

Retired
Not applicable
hey all,

I have been reading a lot of the messsages here on the fourm and nothing really addressed my issues.

First I had the dram red light issue but I fixed it by just pressing the ram module in further, seems like it was lose from the end which doesn't have that holder/clip to keep it in place.

Next I get these three issues:
When I start the pc the first error I see is: "No devices found" and then it switches in an instant to the next screen, not sure on how to fix this. I would really appreicate any help with this. (it seems to pass through fine, but it's annyoying)

Next after the first error comes up and switches to the next screen, it tells me "CPU FAN ERROR" and it just sits there telling me to enter the bios to reset it and fix it (tried holding the rest button for 3 secs but it was of no use, I read somewhere that resets the bios) so I can't get around this either

Third funny issue is that through the bios there is this link which if you click it, you can override the boot and boot from the hard drive that you have yoru OS on, which is the correct on that I set it to boot from. So when I click that, it goes into windows but only until the windows loading screen, after that it just restarts and goes through the entire 3 issues that I brought up.

Not sure on how abouts to approach this.

I would really really appreciate any help with this as it doesn't make much sense, esp cause none of these issues were brought up on this fourn.

just an fyi, i tried the clear cmos button on the back, the tiny red button for the ram, the start, restart button on the MB, removed the battery, tried one ram module at a time. nothing helped gettin rid of those monkey msgs. And I also played around with the fan settings, but nothing helped, even did ignore, but it didnt ignore it.

PC:
AMD Phenom ll x4 365
16gb Gskill ram 1333
Of course the Asus crosshair formula V
Rosewill PSU 850
ATI HD5830 1GB
Around 3TB of HDD split into 3 HD modules
40gb SSD Vertex 2

Please help

Thanks in advance
30 REPLIES 30

TechJackass88
Level 7
Your first issue is ASMedia SATA controller, disable it in advanced settings, should be right on top of USB3 controller settings on the same page, it's external SATA and if you not using it, it will tell you that (quoting other ROG member)
Second, make sure that your CPU fan plugged in to proper CPU fan port, otherwise you will get this message, if you use external controller, look if you have PWM handout, usually 1 or 2 wire with 4 pin fan plug on the end, meerly board trying to protect itself (not trying to say anything bad, and please dont take it as insult, I'm really trying to help you out)
and last issue, sounds like OS problem, might have to clean load it, safe mode might not work.
now, this also might be an issue with your RAM timings, what is exact model of your memory? is it 1600 kit of 4x4 sticks? type model here from your invoice,
lot's of people buying G.Skil 16 gb kits, just to find out that they not compatible with MOBO by default, there is few things you need to manually adjust,
I believe second page of Overclocking Stikie post has settings for that ram. but to be safe, get all details, then we can help you out.
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
Good help jack**** thanks for the asmedia tip I was getting that error too, I'll fix it next time I boot.

Now the fan error! I experience the very same thing, but with my case door off I can tell you what is going on. System powers up, but the board is waiting a few seconds before turning on my cpu fans. The cpu fan error is a fan speed error. My fans are correctly jacked into cpu_fan1 and cpu_fan2, they are 4 pin cooler master fans on a V6GT cooler.

To the OP, the fan error is only from cold boot, when you leave bios(discard changes and restart or save changes and restart) the error will not reoccur until you turn the sytem completely off and then on again. This is because the fans continue to spin when reset. What you can do until somebody smarter helps us both on this, is find the panel in the bios that allows you to skip the f1 step. This should allow you to turn on the system go get a coffee and come back to desktop, rather than returning with your coffee only to find that you have not even begun to load OS.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Jaytheredneck1 wrote:

Now the fan error! I experience the very same thing, but with my case door off I can tell you what is going on. System powers up, but the board is waiting a few seconds before turning on my cpu fans. The cpu fan error is a fan speed error. My fans are correctly jacked into cpu_fan1 and cpu_fan2, they are 4 pin cooler master fans on a V6GT cooler.

To the OP, the fan error is only from cold boot, when you leave bios(discard changes and restart or save changes and restart) the error will not reoccur until you turn the sytem completely off and then on again. This is because the fans continue to spin when reset. What you can do until somebody smarter helps us both on this, is find the panel in the bios that allows you to skip the f1 step. This should allow you to turn on the system go get a coffee and come back to desktop, rather than returning with your coffee only to find that you have not even begun to load OS.

I'm getting exactly the same problem where the CPU fan fails to start on a cold boot. Same warning message and I'm sometimes seeing that the CPU fan settings have changed from those I actually saved in the BIOS.

@techjackass: I appreciate the suggestion regarding using a fan controller and have one already of my own that it's now looking like I'll be forced to use again. I would much rather that somebody at Asus actually acknowledged the multiple problems with this board and addressed fixing them rather than us having to rely on other owners giving us workarounds so that issues can be avoided rather than dealt with.

If I pay this much for a Mobo I expect that the basics will actually work instead I get: fan control which is screwed, audio which is totally screwed, plus my Mobo arrived with one of the USB controllers displaying errors bad enough that it was shutdown by the system from the very first boot up. It will be RMA'd the moment I get back from my holidays.
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula BIOS Version: 0705
CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB (1600 MHz 8,8,8,24 1.5v)
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200 watt
GPU: 2 x GTX 580
HDD: 3 x OCZ Onyx 2 240GB in RAID 0
ODD: LG BD-R/DVD-RW
CPU Cooler: Coolit ECO ALC

i have the same fan error

only in cold boot but not every time

i have two coolers in my noctua

the secondary one delays a lot to turn on and i get fan error

very annoying

grok23 wrote:

If I pay this much for a Mobo I expect that the basics will actually work instead I get: fan control which is screwed, audio which is totally screwed, plus my Mobo arrived with one of the USB controllers displaying errors bad enough that it was shutdown by the system from the very first boot up. It will be RMA'd the moment I get back from my holidays.

My board was replaced at the shop that I bought it from this morning. The new one isn't showing any signs of the audio issues that were causing me to tear my hair out, has all of it's USB headers working properly this time and it looks like I'll finally get the chance to mess about with over-clocking it a bit later on.
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula BIOS Version: 0705
CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB (1600 MHz 8,8,8,24 1.5v)
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200 watt
GPU: 2 x GTX 580
HDD: 3 x OCZ Onyx 2 240GB in RAID 0
ODD: LG BD-R/DVD-RW
CPU Cooler: Coolit ECO ALC

TechJackass88
Level 7
You're welcome, I had that message too as well as I saw lot's of questions about disabling it, did some search around, and found solution, actually speeds up your post by 5 or more seconds. now, regarding fan deal, look around online and see if you can get your hand on Zalman ZM-MFC2 Front panel, it's an old model, but trustworthy, and also gives you real time power consumption of your computer, accuracy around +/- 10% as it's worst, cool thing about it, it overrides motherboard's power, and only feeds speed of the fan, with this system you can very well tune noise/heat of your computer, and if in case one of fans fails, it will start beeping, if you make little auxiliary 12 volt backup with diode feedback block and low voltage stabilization cut off, you can make it that it will cool your system for few minutes after you shut computer off, instead of trapping all the heat inside, products like this were popular back in 2002-2004.
also, my power supply does have self cooling feature, it's a Rosewil 1000 Watter, might end up doing a little hardware mod, if anyone interested, might push me towards it sooner.
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
I like the idea of keeping fans on a few minutes after shut down. Like a turbo timer in a car. But I don't do electronics work, I apply brute force amounts of electricity to metal and it sticks together(I'm a welder) so that would be beyond me.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

TechJackass88
Level 7
I will look up something that might be plug and play, actually, right after work I will go to my old boss, and see if he has anything that might work, I think I saw something last time I went there, I will let you know, guy runs computer shop here, and always gets trinkets and lemons, but once in a while there's a little gems.

I love welding, do it as amateur, but it's a great skill, my buddy has a TIG welder and let's me use it once in a while, there is something about unholy amounts of electricity freely flowing trough the air and melting anything on it's path, feels as close to being a Jedi as it gets 😃

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
haha Jedi, I'm going to use that one.