cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Extreme + GSkill 2400 prob

rammie
Level 7
I've installed the Gskill ram F3-2400C10D16GTX in DIMM slots as per the vi extreme instructions, it wasn't booting up with both DIMM's installed or getting into the BIOS, I then used a single DIMM (A2) and was able to boot up and install windows, I tried replacing the DIMM that was used earlier to install windows with the other one and I again ran into the same issue of not able to get into BIOS, it keeps rebooting and doesn't get into BIOS, the error codes keep cycling i.e. if i install it in the A2 slot.... if i install it into any other slot I get the error code 55 (memory not installed).

Any help? Am I missing sthing or the other DIMM DOA?

I've absolutely made no changes to BIOS
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15
There are two things you must verify first. One is that you didn't overtightened the screws for your heatsink. Sometimes putting too much pressure can warp the motherboard which can lead to RAM errors. The second thing to verify is that your CPU socket doesn't have any bent or missing pins.

rammie
Level 7
chino, I'm using the stock cooler here, will check for missing or bent pins, i did check this before installing, there were none, will check again, the other DIMM on the same A2 slot works absolutely fine, except this one.

rammie
Level 7
Just checked again, can't see any bent or missing pins,

Chino
Level 15
Try this for me.

1. Switch off your PSU.
2. Disconnect the power cable.
3. Remove all your RAM.
4. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
5. Put the battery back into place.
6. Reconnect the power cable.
7. Switch on your PSU.
8. Insert one stick of RAM into the DIMM_A2 slot.
9. Power on your system.

If all goes well, you should be able to post and notice that your RAM is running at 1333MHz. Proceed to setting it up to run at 2400MHz either using XMP or doing it manually. I'd recommend manually. When you're done, save and shutdown your system. Now insert the other stick into the DIMM_B2 slot and power up your system.

Did it post?

rammie
Level 7
1. Switch off your PSU.
2. Disconnect the power cable.
3. Remove all your RAM.
4. Remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.
5. Put the battery back into place.
6. Reconnect the power cable.
7. Switch on your PSU.
8. Insert one stick of RAM into the DIMM_A2 slot.
9. Power on your system.

If all goes well, you should be able to post and notice that your RAM is running at 1333MHz. Proceed to setting it up to run at 2400MHz eitherusing XMP or doing it manually. I'd recommend manually. When you're done, save and shutdown your system.

*******************************************************************************************************

Went fine till here, changed the memory frequency to 2400 Mhz and was successfully able to post and get into windows

adding the other RAM to slot B2, didn't post, did not post error code 55

swapped RAM between a2 with b2, error code 55

just had the working RAM (i believe) in B2, posts successfully.

I had also done another check previously before the steps you've shared, had the working 8 GB RAM in B2 and a 2 GB RAM in A2 was able to post with clck 1333 Mhz

rammie
Level 7
Should I RMA?

Nodens
Level 16
Try not using XMP but entering the values for your RAM manually. XMP profiles for RAM made before Haswell may be setting stuff that Haswell does not like.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

rammie
Level 7
shouldn't it work on default settings? i.e 1333 mhz on single slot A2? One RAM works on it but the other RAM doesn't... It's my first build since a a very long time so, please correct me if im wrong

Nodens
Level 16
If the second slot does not work without XMP enabled and you're using identical DIMM's (not mix and match) then you probably have bent pins on the CPU socket. It may not be easy to see them. Try taking a high resolution photo of the socket and examine the photo close up. Or even better post it here so we can see it.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.