Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array 69_Goat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TangoVulture View Post
    Directly under the CROSSHAIR V FORMULA bar code on the side of the box is the DDR3 (OC) qualifier that I started drooling over, only to download and read the memory QVL that burst my bubble. It then became a quest to tweak up as high as I could since my Corsair memory wasn't listed as able to run at 2133.
    Can someone take a picture of what is printed on the box and post it here?

If someone has 32GB of Corsair Vengence ram they want to get rid of, send me a PM.
    I need some for testing.
    i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI
    i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

TangoVulture
    Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    That would be a trick for ASUS to do with the memory controller being part of the CPU. All a motherboard manufacturer can do is list what the board will support. The other components also need to be up to the task.
    Perhaps AMD is responsible for the tongue in cheek comment I made regarding ASUS needing to have designed the memory controller. However, ASUS didn't qualify the 2133MHz (OC) statement on the box by including a line stating it was only possible to reach the listed OC memory speed at max stick capacity with an AMD Bulldozer CPU. Maybe it won't even be possible when the Bulldozer comes out. And yes, I am picking on them. At the same time I'm sure once the already released, but still Beta MB, has enough testing by people willing to pick on it rather than yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, it through to maturity it willbecome be a standup product.

For now all I can say is that the CHV5 is an amazing piece of hardware, albeit, still largly untested and in many ways Beta.

TangoVulture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	2498Second Line Down

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

And no where on that label does it say AM3 --
    This is an AM3+ board ..
    with AM3+ specs listed.
    This was asked and answered ...
    I think..no offense meant, but....geeeesh, already with this.

We bought a board, knowing that the 'hot' new cpu wouldn't be
    out for 6 months and asking why it doesnt perform to 990 specs
    or 2133.
    The C4F and C4E have the bios updates to BDup for months with
    a warning not to install it without BullDozer.
    I think the boards are more than holding their own.humbly offered.
    That said, when BD comes out....hahhaa...it better 2133..hahahaa.c.

Cyruscosmo
    Ok after removing everything from the case and going for a minimum component start up it popped right into BIOS first time. I set everything for auto and hit the save and exit at which point it rebooted right into the windows install disk without a hitch. I just got finished loading the windows OS in 64bit and everything is working fine so far. So I shut things down and loaded in the second stick of RAM and fired it up again and it too is working fine as far as BIOS shows. The only hitch is when I restart it throws a CPU fan error at me. The fan is working from what I can see and according to the BIOS it is steady at around 2100 RPM and CPU temp is 48c.

Next step is to get it back in the case and hook things back up one at a time to see what was causing all the fuss the first time around. Then I will get her online and d-load those test things I keep reading about and give it a good tweak to make sure everything is working properly.

So what tests should I get?

TangoVulture

Not backwards compatible with AM3...?

Quote Originally Posted by chrsplmr View Post
    And no where on that label does it say AM3 --
    This is an AM3+ board ..
    with AM3+ specs listed.
    This was asked and answered ...
    I think..no offense meant, but....geeeesh, already with this.

We bought a board, knowing that the 'hot' new cpu wouldn't be
    out for 6 months and asking why it doesnt perform to 990 specs
    or 2133.
    The C4F and C4E have the bios updates to BDup for months with
    a warning not to install it without BullDozer.
    I think the boards are more than holding their own.humbly offered.
    That said, when BD comes out....hahhaa...it better 2133..hahahaa.c.

Does this mean it's also not SATA III or USB3 until a Buldozer is inserted?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array TechJackass88's Avatar

Congrats on firing it up, try with 3 stics of ram, in random positions, and see if it stics. My system would boot with 12 GB like a charm, I stick last one in, and hit the brick wall, no explanation why, until I read Raja's guide.
    (side note, I love my CHV)
    My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
    GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
    Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I also love my CHV and am STILL an Asus fan. But without criticism, things don't get fixed. I am perfectly fine having that extra 8 gigs sitting in the package waiting for bulldozer. However I built this rig to UPGRADE not sidewaysgrade. For over a year I've had a laptop with i7 and 8gigs of ram, kinda wanted to move up in the world.

BTW is there a Sapphire forum anywhere? I need to vent because I just found out that my sapphire 6770 has the exact same specs as the sapphire 5770, and I'd like some of my money back since all they did was change the model number.
    Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

TV...........no...this is getting.......silly.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytheredneck1 View Post
    I also love my CHV and am STILL an Asus fan. But without criticism, things don't get fixed. .
    it's why now I'm waiting for Dozer, the memory controler of Dozer is different, after all We don't buy a crosshair V to run an actual 4 or 6 cores, at least not me

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast