cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I tried to fire up my new Gaming rig last Sunday,

Retired
Not applicable
And ran into more beeps and flashing lights than I had ever seen before on an MB. I have built numerous Puters for myself and friends over the years but up until now have never built an OC rig, so why now you may ask? Well I have played games off and on since Jane’s ATF first came out and dummy me dropped 4K on a brand new top of the line Pentium 286! Yeah, that old… 😉

Since that first game I have always dreamed of having a computer that was built for only one purpose, Games. I have listened patiently to bragging over OC numbers, stability, and liquid cooled proc’s that could smoke the solder off my MB. One of my most favorite games was Descent and I played it as best I could on the comp I had back then. I would dream about sitting at the controls of a rig that could handle the max settings on Descent II and then Unreal Tournament but never had the extra funds to justify a rig built for nothing but games.

Until now that is, because a couple months ago I won a writing contest and got a forth place prize consisting of a gift card. The card was redeemable in only one place and that was an online computer store. I had heard the name before but had never bought anything from them because I preferred to pick up my computer parts in person. Living next door to Microsoft’s main headquarters means there is no shortage of computer stores around here. When I entered the gift card info I was very surprised to learn that it held a five hundred dollar credit.

So what would you do with a dream and a five hundred dollar head start? Knowing little about OC rigs but wanting one nonetheless I did some reading and here I am. I currently have these parts.

Crosshair V Formula
AMD Phenom II x6 1100T Black Edition
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4gig) PC12800
Two EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti Video Cards
Kingwin ABT-1000MA1S Mach 1 P.S. 1000-Watt, ATX, SLI-Ready, w/Six 12V Rails
Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
Two Seagate 250GIG SATA HD’s and four Seagate 500 GIG SATA HD’s

I know that if I am going to OC this monster I need a better cooling solution than the stock cooler that comes with the CPU. But since I only had so much to spend up front I will have to wait till Xmas for the new water-cooling accessories, so for now I will settle for a stable stock rig.

So I pieced it all together last weekend and found that I have dropped right into the middle of a party that I have never been too before. And after opening all the drop downs in BIOS I realized that I am defiantly NOT dressed for this party either! 😉

So… with that thought in mind, does anyone have a baseline suggestion of settings I can use to get this lil monster breathing with Windows 7 pro in 64?
48 REPLIES 48

TechJackass88
Level 7
Welcome to the party, lol, it's fun here 😃
Start off with all auto settings, and go from there, see what works, what doesn't, most likely you will need to tune your memory bus speed and maybe update BIOS,
luckily done with USB thumb drive and comfortable UEFI environment, I have given up on RAID systems years ago, it's easier to use a mirror driver, less fuss and hassle, but it's all personal opinion, first thing is to read trough all stickies on top, everything explaind there how to set up and overclock, speaking of which, I have bought Corsair H5O all-in-one water cooler, that replaces rear 120 mm fan, set it up with push-pull fan configuration, and happily overclocked it up to 4.1 GHz, without raising tems higher than 105 F on idle and 150 F on 100% Burn in, good option for softcore overclock, right now system idles at 95 F and 3.6 GHz.
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

Retired
Not applicable
I also have the Crosshair V Formula board and a 1100 AMD. I waited too long to do a hardcore burn in since the MB was hard to come by and my parts came in as they became available at discounts.

Don't worry too much fine tuning the MB settings. Use the Auto Tune from the OS to make it easy.

Watch your temps on MB and GPU. Download the MSI Afterburner from MSI. Install all the software from ASUS. It sounds like you have enough experience to understand about using good thermal compund between heat sinks and CPU if you've built other systems before. The stock heatsink appears to be adequate for mild OC. You may find that depending on your case size and cooling that 3.8Ghz is close to the max you will get and still stay stable. I was at 3.9 for about a week and completely stable when my CPU took a dump even though the temps never got over 68C. I ordered a new CPU immediately since I'd already had the CPU for two weeks before my MB showed up and by the time I installed it and the GPU which arrived a week later my window to return the CPU only left me a few days to test. For some reason the MB had a problem with OC in BIOS. I believe it let the smoke out of my first CPU since almost immediately after I ran a BIOS based OC it locked up and I didn't have the ability to check temps again. I thought I was going to have to RMA my board but when the new CPU came the system booted fine again after it was in.

Download some free benchmarks to test the system. Don't worry about OC right away. Get a good feel for what it will do stock first. Get some baseline readings so you know what effect your future changes (OC) will have. Again, watch temps.

From my research it would appear that 8GB of compatible memory will run well. I have 16GB and that took some work to get stable at 1522Ghz mem speed. Getting the CPU stable should take only minor effort unless you really want to push the envelope, and then it might cause a bit of frustration unless you have adequate cooling to get stable over the 4Ghz level. Getting the memory OC just right will take some time and experimentation depending on the memory specs. Once you find benchmarking tools and run the system at 100% CPU, 100% Memory use, 100% GPU utilization long enough to get the system to settle in to a temperature that is under the max the components can handle, you will have your OC'd and stable system. Run your test for at least 15 minutes at the maximum ambient room temperature that you expect it to operate at. Then move on to 1/2 hour and then several hours. Always monitor your temps as you test.

Since you asked for settings, I'll be happy to provide mine in another post. I need to get it all written down first.

I'd suggest downloading 3DMark Benchmarking tools from 3Dmark's website. Also do a search for "memtest" and get the Win version. Run it to determine your mem stability.

Get SISandra from their website and run it. It will give you a good idea of what the system will do.

There are a few free tools available for HDD testing. Check the manufacturers site first.

One last bit of advice would be don't let high benchmark scores guide you too much. Having a system that's stable and doesn't BSOD on you is more important than feeling like you need to get benchmarks showing that you are in the 95+ percentile of the fastest PC's on the planet to run even the newest games well.

Use benchmarks to show you the effect of your tweaking and to guide you.

Watch the Temps, be patient and have fun.

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
Yeah you'll want some cooling even without overclocking, this 1100t likes to run warm with stock cooling. I booted it once with stock cooling, saw idle temps and went for a cooler master V6GT air cooler. With a mid tower though you're right to go with water, not sure you could fit a good air cooler in there. But with the V6GT I've had it idle at 87F with the case doors off(I need to redo my wiring because the back door wont go on haha). My uncle is running the same cpu with the cooler master V8(lesser cooler) and he's getting 78F.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Jaytheredneck1 wrote:
Yeah you'll want some cooling even without overclocking, this 1100t likes to run warm with stock cooling. I booted it once with stock cooling, saw idle temps and went for a cooler master V6GT air cooler. With a mid tower though you're right to go with water, not sure you could fit a good air cooler in there. But with the V6GT I've had it idle at 87F with the case doors off(I need to redo my wiring because the back door wont go on haha). My uncle is running the same cpu with the cooler master V8(lesser cooler) and he's getting 78F.

One of the biggest noticeable quirks I am finding with my no O.S. boot situation My processor and especially my mem modules are running Very cold ? I mean the memory is not even warm to the touch after sitting in bios for hours. This is not normal is it.
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

Cold ram? No, not normal.

Retired
Not applicable
Hey! Thank ya for the welcome and the quick replies!

The installation of the MB in the case went without a hitch. I was rather impressed with screw spacing and the fit of the IO port shield. Usually I end up with the 5 dollar cases where a file and tin snips are needed.

The large number of drives are not for RAID I just had them lying around and they all fit in the case so what the heck! My brother told me I should go buy a couple Terra drives but I hates to waste the ones I already have. Specially when I can’t even fill them up.

Yes I did manage to get into the BIOS a couple times and once it even teased me with a boot from Windows setup disk screen. But something is still outta whack cause when I reboot out of BIOS after making changes or click yes to set up from disk the system freezes or goes blank or restarts and tells me it does not have any RAM.

So I pull a CMOS reset on it and try again and end up with pretty much the same results. So I figure I should do some more reading and stop fiddling with the controls on my new alien spaceship before I let the magic smoke out!

So no, as of yet no OS…
But yes sporadic access to BIOS.

And now that I have read these posts and the sticky I got an idea that maybe I should start with one stick of RAM in the last slot and work on getting that stable first. I chose that brand and size of RAM based on the list that was in the ASUS manual.

Will give it another go tonight and see if I can get regular heart beat out of her. 😉

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
First, before you go through the one stick 2 stick red stick blue stick dance 😉 Try pressing the go button on the top right corner of the board. It is apparently a MemOk button and can help to automatically sort out some ram compatibility issues. Why they didn't call it MemOk instead of go is beyond me, I thought it was another quick overclock button lol.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Jaytheredneck1 wrote:
First, before you go through the one stick 2 stick red stick blue stick dance 😉 Try pressing the go button on the top right corner of the board. It is apparently a MemOk button and can help to automatically sort out some ram compatibility issues. Why they didn't call it MemOk instead of go is beyond me, I thought it was another quick overclock button lol.

Maybe it works with the Magical Mystery Ram that apparently is on ASUS's Classified G-16 Super Secret Squirrell classified list. cause it sure as hell dont do crap for my ram.
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

TechJackass88
Level 7
This is very interesting, because Corsair, normally the brand of ram that does work with this system without any issues, see if you can downclock it to 1333, and work from there, and what BIOS version are you running? when I got my board I had older one, and it hated my ram (actually still does, but I told board to suck it up, because it aint getting anything else until bulldozer comes out) after upgrade I got stable boot to BIOS, which was great relief, actually after 3 days of Voodoo Dancing around with drums and shakers found out that my ram supported only 1T instructions, which I recommend to try too. Good luck, let us know what's going on.
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2