cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade from x-fi titanium

Scorpy
Level 7
hi,
just bought tiamat 7.1 headset, and was wondering if would they sound better on phoebus then on my old x-fi titanium soundcard (not HD version)
cos there are none new 7.1 creative soundcard available

thx in advance
9 REPLIES 9

KILLER_K
Level 10
Until they actually support this sound card. Just stay away from it. As like everyone else in the world we are waiting for final WHQL drivers. Their track record of 2 beta drivers released in a year doesn't look good for them. But a different brand, perhaps a Creative Labs ZxR or something along those lines. There is no need to give Asus $200 for a bad sound card. Perhaps just use the X-FI until you actually see Asus release a driver. Then look at the threads for issues on that driver. You can look through all the threads here and see problem after problem with the Pheobus. A ROG sound card shouldn't have all these issues and no drivers. Or no Windows 8 support either. Spend your money on a company that cares. Not one that has a "F" rating at the BBB.

Official/Unofficial? Beta Tester For The Asus ROG Pheobus Xonar 2012 - 2013

Scorpy
Level 7
well same thing u can say to crackling sound in creative soundcard in last 5 years, no product is perfect, I just want to know from some1 who dont have issues with phoebus and have Tiamat 7.1

thx

With the Titanium (non-HD) you have very mature drivers, compared to the Phoebus and Z series cards.
Plus the Titanium's audio processor itself comes with more FPS features, then the Phoebus and Z series.
Personally, I would send back the Tiamat and invest into some nice stereo headphones and use the Creative's CMSS-3D.
The Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphone has been selling for under $200, the ATH-AD900X open headphones sell for $200.
Sometimes you can get a used Sennheiser HD558 for just over $100, and it's $10-$20 to add a mic.
If you can budget it, adding an external headphone amplifier, $60-$100, would improve the audio quality of any stereo headphones you would use with the Titanium.

thx for reply, so you say Pheobus is not better then my 3y old x-fi, cos all I can read that some ppl have driver issue, and others praise it 🙂

Masterbobo
Level 7
do any of the cards (any xfi or asus sound card) give you full digital audio at the destktop? like even when using winamp just to play music or youtube etc..?
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

Scorpy
Level 7
im using analog headset, never used digital out, but x-fi have SPIDF

Scorpy
Level 7
update
got it today, had no problem installing, using only Flex Bass II, cut off at 100, bass level at 3
sound is more clear the on x-fi, like x-fi had slight EAX effect on
played BF3, could here more clearly sounds, falling glass when u knife door, footsteps are a bit clear
so far I'm satisfied

Scorpy wrote:
update
got it today, had no problem installing, using only Flex Bass II, cut off at 100, bass level at 3
sound is more clear the on x-fi, like x-fi had slight EAX effect on
played BF3, could here more clearly sounds, falling glass when u knife door, footsteps are a bit clear
so far I'm satisfied

So you got the Phoebus and you like it better then the Titanium (non-HD) for gaming?

Scorpy
Level 7
sound is diferent then with x-fi, a bit more distinctive, u can hear more simultanous sounds in bf3 with all explosions around u, or its just subjective 😉