cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying my first ROG Motherboard

Tyranade
Level 9
Hello everyone, I am Tyranade and I have come here to request some assistance.

I am about to order my Z87 Maximum VI Gene (I was going to buy the Maximus VI Hero but fell in love with the Corsair 350D) to use as part of my main rig but I have one little issue, WiFi.

I would like to know what WiFi card antenna leads and Aerials the Maximum VI Extreme and Formula Motherboards use so I can buy them and use them with the Maximum VI Gene but I don't know what they are or where to buy them so if you guys could help me it would mean a lot.

If I can't buy them is the PCE - AC66 a good reliable WiFi card?

And also as my current PC which is using an AMD Athlon X2 4000 with 6GB of DDR2 RAM (yay mix and matching sticks, I am literally using 4 different brands of RAM and 4 different sizes in every slot currently) is there anything I should know when it comes to changing BIOS settings such as setting my drives in AHCI mode, Setting my RAM timings and installing Windows 8 in UEFI mode to my Samsung SSD?

Oh and is there any major issues with the Maximum VI Gene I should be Aware of?

All your help is much appreciated, I've been out the game a long time.

Thank you.
My New Build (Coming Soon)
Case: No Idea, Still Deciding
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 760 DirectCUII OC 2GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 V2
Solid State Drive: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB
Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital Blue 1TB
Power Supply Unit: Corsair HX 850W 80+ Gold
Network Card: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Tyranade.

By default, the SATA mode is on AHCI when you start up your motherboard. Unless you're doing a RAID array, you won't have to touch it. As for the RAM issue, I would recommend you not mixing up different brands of RAM. It's a hit or miss situation here. I have a simple guide linked in my signature for setting up RAM speeds and such if you need help. It was written on a previous motherboard but the concepts should be the same for your MVIG.

Can't comment on the wifi card. LOL But if you're an avid gamer, you'd avoid Wifi naturally since nothing beats a good old ethernet connection. 😛

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Tyranade.

By default, the SATA mode is on AHCI when you start up your motherboard. Unless you're doing a RAID array, you won't have to touch it. As for the RAM issue, I would recommend you not mixing up different brands of RAM. It's a hit or miss situation here. I have a simple guide linked in my signature for setting up RAM speeds and such if you need help. It was written on a previous motherboard but the concepts should be the same for your MVIG.

Can't comment on the wifi card. LOL But if you're an avid gamer, you'd avoid Wifi naturally since nothing beats a good old ethernet connection. 😛

Lol don't worry my Gene build won't be mixing and maxing RAM I've got an 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB kit aha, the mix match set is what my current AMD system has in it lol.

I'd really like to go WiFi though as my PC will be upstairs and as I am renting I can't put holes in the walls to run cables otherwise I'd need a monster Ethernet cable so WiFi is just more convenient.

So does anyone have any other small tips and tricks they know of for when I set my computer up?

Tyranade wrote:

So does anyone have any other small tips and tricks they know of for when I set my computer up?

Two basic but overlooked tips that will save you a lot of future headaches.

1. Inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins. 😉

2. And test your system outside the case before putting it in. Don't need anything fancy for the second tip. Put the motherboard on the box it came in, install your CPU and heatsink, one stick of RAM in DIMM_A2 slot, connect the 24, 8 and 4 pin power cables, connect a monitor to the motherboard and press the Start button on the motherboard. 😉

WhitePaw wrote:
Your in for a ride Ty..

its like night and day, considering what you are upgrading from..

Good luck..

I can't wait, I just can't wait to see the graphics performance between my current 8600GT and my new Asus GTX 760 😄 oh and the Speed of my Samsung SSD too 🙂

Chino wrote:
Two basic but overlooked tips that will save you a lot of future headaches.

1. Inspect the CPU socket for any bent or missing pins. 😉

2. And test your system outside the case before putting it in. Don't need anything fancy for the second tip. Put the motherboard on the box it came in, install your CPU and heatsink, one stick of RAM in DIMM_A2 slot, connect the 24, 8 and 4 pin power cables, connect a monitor to the motherboard and press the Start button on the motherboard. 😉

Thanks for the tips, all the parts should be here in a few days : D

Retired
Not applicable
Your in for a ride Ty..

its like night and day, considering what you are upgrading from..

Good luck..

Retired
Not applicable
2133 mhz , CL9, 1,5v is a fine MHZ, for 24/7 use

just a tips

HiVizMan
Level 40
That wifi card will work fine.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Tyranade
Level 9
Hmm well I did some googling on that WiFi card and apparently it is incompatible with the Z87 Chipset so I need another WiFi card but I don't know what one I should buy.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Really it works fine here on the Z87 motherboards I have.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.