cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbolt 2 mob pro or con ?

abvolt
Level 11
Anyone own or play with Asus's new thunderbolt 2 mob yet? I think that thunderbolt is going to remain a niche product for at least most of us without deep pockets until they get the prices of peripherals and cables down a whole lot.

They need to make thunderbolt not require special cables with chips in them to work. Docks that provide a PCI-e slot cost more than the motherboards with thunderbolt. I will say this it's a really great looking board.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20
1 REPLY 1

DaemonCantor
Level 13
First of all before you can ask if something is a pro or a con you have to know what it is and Thunderbolt is no different. As to it being more expensive well yea! or duh! it is going to be, simply because if you ook on the net for 'Thunderbolt Peripherals' all your going to find is Macintosh Products and as everyone knows Mac Products are a lot more EXPENSIVE!

Now as to what and why Thunderbolt is... It's simple I've been watching a Technology emerging from Intel for about 10 Years Called LightsPeak, and Apple was the FIRST to Licenses it and called it Thunderbolt and so everyone jumped on the Band Wagon to produce things for the Highly Lucrative Macintosh because well simply put they could get $399 USD for an external drive that only cost $99 USD for Windows People. Why because the Macintosh is considered the Best by Graphics Producers, Movie Makers, and Musicians and if you don't believe it go to a Real Studio like Columbia Records or Paramount Studios and have a look! You won't see a Windows system in the Studio but Multi Thousand Dollar Hardware controlled by Macs.

Now LightsPeak is a Fiber Optic Connector System that can Carry any and all Protocols from 10GBs upto 100GBs although the speeds above 10GBs hasn't been released yet due to Licensing Issues. Which brings us to why it has a chip in it and that's simple, as with any Fiber Optic System out there there has to be an Emitter and a Receiver at both ends of the Fiber Optic Loop and Intel figured out how to make them portable so as to cut the cost of the Connector by making you purchase this necessary component once and not be added to the cost of Both Connectors, Plus it has the added bonus of having a Copper Based connector that will allow other things to be plugged in to the same connector when not using the Fiber Link Cable which also reduces End User Cost by about 50%.

So Hell Yea Thunderbolt/Lights Peak is TOTALLY Worth it considering you can with the right cable plug in just about ANYTHING and you can get speeds upto 100Gigabytes a second... It's a Win Win thingy.