cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fine to get another gtx 680?

Koverhar
Level 7
Hi just wondering. Im currenctly running the Asus gtx 680 direct cut 2 TOP edition and they have a massive sale at gtx 680s at my local store but they are the asus gtx 680 OC edition. will it run fine in sli? or do I need the exact same card?
5 REPLIES 5

fbm211
Level 7
Exact same model is preferred but you should be okay.Put the stronger card on top.
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

Masterbobo
Level 7
Yes it will work. Although like said above, the same exact card is ideal.
Rampage IV Extreme
55" Samsung 3D LED 1080p
19" NEC side monitor
4930k @ 3.9ghz (h100i)
Dominator GT 2133mhz 16gb
2xDomiatorGT RAM cooling fans
OCZ Vertex 4 RAID0 2x256gb
Silent Pro GOLD 1200
3xGTX 770's 4GB Windforce TRI-SLI
Sound Blaster Zx
Logitech Z5500 digital 5.1
2xLG 3D Blu ray burners
Silverstone Multi USB3 card reader
2x4terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drives
1x1terabyte WD backup sata6.0 drive
10 Antec tri cool 120mm fans
Razor Deathadder mouse
Corsair 600t
Win7-64bit

Chino
Level 15
Go for it. The faster GPU will just downclock to pair up with the slower one. No biggie. The difference between the OC and Top version is only a few MHz.

Just make sure that they both have the same amount of memory.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Chino's last point is the only salient one; There is absolutely no problem except the VRAM size has to be the SAME. As long as both cards are 2GB or both 4GB no problem.

It will be trivial I suspect to get Afterburner and clock the card you have to the level of the other. Or simply let the GPU boost feature run the cards at separate boost speeds. Keplar cards can boost to different values on latest drivers so performance differences in cards are less of a limitation...the slower card will not necessarily limit the other to its speed through the boost clock.

The top card in the SLI will always work harder so just put the OC model in top slot and then between the extra load for it and the ability to boost higher you will hardly notice a different even if you don't want to OC the other card.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Memory has to be the same, beyond that any make and any model of the same series.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.