cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Gene compatible with WD RED disks?

puma99dk_
Level 9
i am wondering if the VI Gene board is compatible with WD's Red disks bcs i am running out of space and planing to do some upgrade in a month or two, but more and more sites says this looking at the 3TB RED disks from WD:

Check your computer's motherboard manufacturer's website for compatibility

and i looked over at Asus.com but i can't see anything about that, or maybe i am just blind i dunno 😄

so if anyone know, i would be happy to know, bcs the price of the WED disks look nice and they r made for 24-7 use is nice.
6 REPLIES 6

Raja
Level 13
There should be no issue running a 3TB HDD with UEFI on these boards. Someone with the drive you mention may come in and confirm just in case.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
There should be no issue running a 3TB HDD with UEFI on these boards. Someone with the drive you mention may come in and confirm just in case.

Nodens wrote:
There should be absolutely no issue with WD Reds and Intel controllers. Reds also have TLER so they're good for hardware RAID controllers as well. The drives are solid.

thx both of u, and Nodens, i don't do Raid, i want my drives single, bcs i don't need raid, ino that u can set it up to backup and so on but i never used that.

Nodens
Level 16
There should be absolutely no issue with WD Reds and Intel controllers. Reds also have TLER so they're good for hardware RAID controllers as well. The drives are solid.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens
Level 16
Roger that. I'm just mentioning that these drives are made for those that want RAID but don't want to pay the difference for RE enterprise drives.
If you don't plan on doing RAID I would suggest Caviar Black instead of the Reds because they perform better. Blacks have fixed rotational speed while Reds use Intellipower which means it varies and is usually slower than 7200rpm.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Roger that. I'm just mentioning that these drives are made for those that want RAID but don't want to pay the difference for RE enterprise drives.
If you don't plan on doing RAID I would suggest Caviar Black instead of the Reds because they perform better. Blacks have fixed rotational speed while Reds use Intellipower which means it varies and is usually slower than 7200rpm.

Blacks maybe faster, but they have a history of failing to fast, non of my 3 green drives i got now have had any issues at all.

RE disks could also be a choice yes, but i don't think they r that good price compared to RED, and i will use the drive for storage not massive read and write so Intellipower is fine for me ^^

Nodens
Level 16
Heh I personally never had a Black fail on me. I have about 25 Black drives (some are 10+ years old and they only have a few reallocated bad sectors), I also have 6 Red drives, 8 RE drives and 1 Blue drive. The only WD drives that have failed on me were 2 Greens and 1 Blue. That's 2/2 for my Greens and 1/2 for my Blues. They failed in less than 3 years and all 3 of them were replaced with Blacks.

Intellipower drives are more succeptible to failure from my experience as they use weaker motors. Fixed 7200rpm drives are far more sturdy.

RE drives imho are a must for hardware RAID controllers. These drives are dogs. They never fail. One of mine is 8 years old and its SMART data is as clean as it was brand new.
Red drives are fine for low-cost hardware RAID solutions.
Blacks are better suited for all-around single drive or JBOD storage.
Greens and Blues are budget drives unfortunately.

If failure probability is of concern to you, my personal suggestion would be to go with SATA2 RE drives. Their cost is at the same level with Reds and Blacks. But their craftsmanship/durability is far superior (their target market is Enterprise where data reliability is the first concern). Also SATA2 to SATA3 there's absolutely no difference in performance. All you gain by SATA3 is faster cache (mechanical drives have a cap in speed) which should not matter at all for storage drives. Have in mind RE SATA2 is faster than Red SATA3 anyhow heh (due to Red being Intellipower).

You'll notice in my signature that I use SATA2 RE drives in RAID5 for storage on my main development system (3x WD2003FYYS 2TB RE4).

RealBench Developer.