cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Screen of Death

Kaboom
Level 8
So I had my system b.s.o.d a few times today. According to Speed Fan, nothing was going past 60C so either it was doing a shitty job telling the temp or something wasn't happy. Either way, I had clocked up to a steady 4ghz on my cpu, and my ram is around 1600 (which it's 2000mhz ram) and I was playing a game and bam, blue screen. This is about the 3rd time I've had a blue screen. I adjusted my cpu down a bit in hopes it would not blue screen. I have an i7 875k which is unlocked. It's stock at 2.9ghz I should be able to hit 4ghz pretty easily. My voltage is 1.3V for the cpu. Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

Kaboom
Level 8
To add to that, while in game my temps jumped from around 47-50C idle to 65-70C I just checked again.

ottoyu34
Level 9
Right after you overclocked your cpu, you should run a stress test. Using linx, your system could fail it within minutes.

1) Are your multipliers correct?
2) Can you post here the bios settings of your overclock? so we can point you to the right directions

Should I just take a picture of my Bios or is there a program I can use?

ottoyu34
Level 9
take pictures of the settings you have changed.

Retired
Not applicable
Your are most likely getting v droop yes take shots of your bios settings. Might need load line calibration and 1.35 to 4 volts

Retired
Not applicable
Your memory is 1600 MHz not 2000. Your ocing may have increased your ram speeds well past it's capability

V2-V3
Level 8
your temps seem a little high, it might be bad contact between your CPU and waterblock this will case the CPU to become instable, if you remove the heatsink it you will see the footprint of the CPU left in the thermal paste, if you have a tube of paste handy i suggest remounting your cooler.

can you run Prime 95 and check the cpu temperatures at 10 minutes load?

Kaboom
Level 8
I was having the heating problems when I was clocked around 4000mhz and I believe 1600mhz for my RAM.

@Brian - I switched out my Corsair ram and put in 2000mhz Patriot Memory because I was having RAM issues after my trip home from PDX.

I was idling around 59C so I lowered everything a little bit, and set most of the voltages to auto. I figured it was over heating because of too much voltage maybe. So this is what I'm at right now.

I had Load Line Calibration on the whole time too 😞

ottoyu34
Level 9
From a quick glance, Dram multiplier is fine; QPI mutliplier look fine but if you can lowered that the better I believe.

You need to turn off power saving and thermal controls of the CPU at "CPU Configuration". Options like Thermal management, Turbo mode, Speedstep & excutable bit should be disabled.

Not to forget, disalbe "CPU Speard spectrum"

For Load line Cali., I usually turn it off for initial overclocking until I find the right vcore. you can have it either on or off.

I'm not sure how much vcore this model of CPU needs. But vcore looks a bit too high and you need to raise the IMC voltage (Uncore/VTT).
From what I read, 4.2Ghz needs: vcore of 1.35v and VTT of 1.2V & CPU PPL 1.9V, so you probably can run it with lower vcore with
oc only at 2.9Ghz.