cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to reduce background noise in headphones?

Flea0
Level 10
I'm trying out some new in-ear headphones and the background noise when they are plugged in is rather noticeable. The noise cuts out about 20 seconds after I pause the music/video, as if it were put into a low-power state. When that happens the background noise becomes barely noticeable, only to jump back up as soon as I unpause the song or movie. Is there a way to get rid of it?
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display
4 REPLIES 4

tnili
Level 7
The best way is to avoid using the sound card in the notebook and send the audio out via USB or TOSlink to an external DAC/AMP. There are some headphones that have all this circuitry built-in so you don't need a separate box next to the notebook. Gaming headphones that offer USB connectivity fall into this category.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
It's actually quite common and there's not much you can do about the hardware that produces it (I think it's an insulation issue). You can go with tnili's advice on the alternative outputs or DAC.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Flea0
Level 10
ergh, that's a bit too much of a faff for me, I guess I'll just have to deal with it. thanks anyway.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Not sure how well these ideas work, but some people report the audio driver you use and settings can make some difference with the background noise/hiss issue as reported by derpcules in the first thread below.

1. MaxxAudio gone???

2. The 'popular' thread about this: Why did ASUS remove the Maxx Audio Control Panel in the latest Realtek Audio Driver?

If using different headphones is an option, some people report better results with some kinds.

1. What headphones do you use with your g750?

2. Mods/Admins: Is ASUS doing something about this issue?

Well, hope this helps and doesn't waste too much of your time 🙂 .