cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz question

Crimsonomega
Level 7
Hello guys,

I started tweaking recently on my cpu and I managed to get 5,0Ghz out of it which seems great anyhow now I want to know/learn if it's possible for me to Tweak my Memory.
Now I've red some posts on some different sites and most tell me they my memory kit is pretty much as it is and that there is little to no room for Tweaking it.

Please how and what can I do to see if this is possible or not and if so what´s the basic to Tweak? Just the timings or? And if so how do I know what timings I can set without damaging my system?

Sorry for asking 😞

Regards,

Crimsonomega
23 REPLIES 23

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello my friend could you please list all your hardware.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Crimsonomega
Level 7
Hi HiVizMan,

Surething here it comes:

Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1604
i7 3770K @ Default
G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 2x8G
2xAsus GTX 670
Corsair Force 3 120G SSD
Enermax 85+ 1250W

This is basicly it!

Regards,

Crimsonomega

LukeeVassallo
Level 7
I think there is an updated version of the bios for that board... Well it's simple you can do it directly from the bios or you can play with the CAS latency time, tRCD, tRP, tRAS ( these are usually the numbers 9-9-9-24, yours might be differant ). Make sure you have decent cooling when running your cpu @ 5ghz and monitor the temperatures.. The memory can be pushed a little but keep an eye on temps as they tend to heat up too.
| Maximus V Formula | i7-3770k | 16Gb Dominator Platinum | GTX 780 | Force 240Gb | 2TB Caviar Green | Obsidian 650D | AX850 | H100 | 24" LED VS247H |

HiVizMan
Level 40
If your memory is running at 2400MHz there is really not that much more head room for your CPU to go at default volts or temps. If your IMC on your CPU is exceptional you should get 2600MHz simply by selecting 2600MHz in the drop down menu for DRAM frequency and upping one or two other voltages two or three notches. Start with the DRAM voltage and increase from 1.65 to 1.68 and see how it goes.

What you gain by going up to 2600MHz is next to zero in the real world but hey it looks good on the CPUz tab.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Crimsonomega
Level 7
Cheers guys.

I updated my BIOS to the latest one thnx for that.

@HiVizMan thnx aswell for the info I am gonna try this tonite when I get home. I know I will gain not much from it, but I was more thinking of getting a higher RealBench score since im at my max with my CPU (5,0Ghz).
I'll let u know later on!

Crimsonomega

Crimsonomega
Level 7
Ok let me ask something else!

Was it usefull at all to buy such RAM as I have now? Was it not better performance (RealBench) wise to go for a different Memory Kit?
Is Quad Channel better? Im utterly confused about all this since the only thing I read online is that these DIMMS are not needed for my 3770k is this true?
If u have any ideas please let me know

Chino
Level 15
There's a point where diminishing returns kick in when buying fast RAM. I'd say it kicks in for anything over 2133MHz. The extra performance you get after that point is so small that you won't notice it in real world use. That little difference will only show in benchmarks. Many people think that the higher the MHz, the faster the RAM or the lower the CAS, the snappier it gets. Most of the time it's not true. It's a little bit of both. When buying or comparing RAM, it's important to calculate their efficiency.

Back to your TridentX 2400MHz issue. By now you've probably investigated on Google and found out that there are actually a big difference between the first kits that were released and the ones after that. If you got the double sided ones, you could overclock then as you wish. But if you have the single sided ones, then you will only be able to get a few extra MHz by moving the BCLK.

I was never able to overclock mines either. Whether pumping 1.75V on it or loosening the timings. The best I got was tightening the timings to CAS 9 @ 2400MHz but pumping a whopping 1.78V on them. Even as that, they weren't SuperPi 32M stable.

Crimsonomega
Level 7
Thank u very much Chino.

You were correct about the Google thing, I did that and it seems I got the one sided modules. Ofcourse the Memory I have is excellent by definition, allthough I hoped for a little more room when it comes to Overclocking but unfortunatly this is as far as I can get with them.

As a rooky I thought that the higher the MHz was, the better. Later I found out that timings are making a difference aswell and yes indeed u need a bit of both as expected ofcourse!

I was so interested in getting better bench scores that I almost overdid it with my Memory without knowing what I was doing. But u guys are helping me a lot with you're experiences and intel that I'm starting to learn so much every day I visit these forums.

Thnx keep it going

flexnl
Level 10
you can try getting down secundairy and tertiary timings alittle...for realbench some of them gain alot..and it isnt very voltage demanding i think