Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 304
  1. #81
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    73
    Posts
    1,014

    Flexy, first is the characteristics of the chip. See what crimsonomega's chip can do. Then it's Nodens' saying. Lapping, distance and pressure applied to the chip. For this factor let's say I was lucky, because most of the times it's a lucky draw how much material take someone out and how much pressure the cooler applies. Finally it's the cooler and most important the ambient temperature. Using air or water you cannot go lower than ambient. That's a fact. The difference is that using water you have an advantage. This advantage is the thermal capacity of water. The biggest quantity you have (bigger rad), the more time you have to heat up all this water, so more time in low deltas with ambient. With Noctua and high clocks my cores go straight to high numbers and I can't keep it there for long time. That's why summertime I can't pass 5100. To cope with this I had to lower ambient to 16 degrees. I used a very small room with aircondition blowing on my case. For this clock also I had to replace the normal Noctua fans. I had one Noctua in the middle to 1500rpm and two Skythe Ultra Kaze 120x38mm, 3000rpm at the front and back in push-pull configuration. Also I had to reverse the two big fans of my HAF932. The top one instead of being an exhaust, now is blowing chill air inside and the 230mm of the side exhaust air outside, also helps with temps from GPU. Also I have an extra fan blowing chill air to the mosfets and memory and to the back of the board with open case another fan to blow cold air, to the back of CPU and mosfets. In BIOS I try not to use extreme settings and LLC is on Ultra High. That needs a bit higher Vcore than Extreme LLC but it runs a bit cooler and I feel more safe than Extreme. Again with all these, by the end of Encoding test my Cores are spiking to 89-90. Maybe I can do 5100 with a bit of throttling, but it's no point. It's already high enough and you have to know where to stop. I don't forget that this is my everyday PC also and I prefer to keep the money for a cooler upgrade and not to replace the same things. So, my friend, key element is ambient temp. Do something for this, or... wait for the winter

  2. #82
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array xmanrigger PC Specs
    xmanrigger PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z490-A
    ProcessorIntel i9-10850
    Memory (part number)F4-4000C15D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2070 Super /HeatKiller IV
    Sound CardO/B
    MonitorLG 32GK650F-B
    Storage #1WD Black 1TB M.2
    CPU Coolerwatercool Heatkiller Rev.3.0
    CaseLian Li O1 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset/Speakers logiteck Z-5500 5.1
    OS Win10 Pro 64

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    30
    Posts
    257

    Wow, great scores guys. It is amazing how scores are getting higher and higher. Remember when 800 was a feat? Sadly for me, I need a different CPU. My 3930K overclocks like a champ, but the IMC is limiting my memory clocking. For someone that was first to post an 830 score, I am getting left in the dust.

    If I hadnt cooked my PC earlier this spring, I would have been able to 'justify' buying a C2 3930K and some big memory. Asit was, I had to spend a crapload of $$$ just to get my system back up and running. C1 3930K IMCs seem weak, and bigger odds against it in the IMC lottery.

    Until I can get my hands on a different S2011 CPU, I think I will focus any RB scores on the 4-Core Intel category. I dont think I will get near the top score, but my initial submission with my son's i7-930 was for ****sngiggles. With that said, I have all kinds of room on that system to up my score. The clocks I used for that submission were simply a quick trip thru the BIOS to set a modest overclock on the CPU. No tweaking other than a stripped OS. Worst part is that I will have to re-learn S1366 overclock practices. I havnt messed with a S1366 in ages.


    Again, congrats to all the great scores, big or small. And to Zka for that sick overclock and score.
    GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 / EVGA RTX 2070 Super / Corsair AX1200i PSU / Lian Li o1 Dynamic

    WATER: Watercool HeatKiller - CPU / Watercool HeatKiller IV - GPU / 2X 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

  3. #83
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    73
    Posts
    1,014

    Hey xman, you can go with the new chips coming in a few days for 2011, IVY -E. That, I think will solve the IMC weakness and with 6 cores they will go like champs. For me sadly it's a very expensive platform

  4. #84
    Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)
    Nodens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    266
    Posts
    4,389

    There's no difference in the IMC between steppings. C1 or C2 won't make a difference it's still luck of the draw what you'll get so buying the same processor on a C2 stepping and expecting it to have a better IMC is not a smart move... it may have an even worse one.

    Also I'm not sure if the offer still stands but Intel will happily trade your C1 for a C2 due to the VT-d bug on the C1
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

    RealBench Developer.

  5. #85
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    77

    Quote Originally Posted by nikosa43 View Post
    Flexy, first is the characteristics of the chip. See what crimsonomega's chip can do. Then it's Nodens' saying. Lapping, distance and pressure applied to the chip. For this factor let's say I was lucky, because most of the times it's a lucky draw how much material take someone out and how much pressure the cooler applies. Finally it's the cooler and most important the ambient temperature. Using air or water you cannot go lower than ambient. That's a fact. The difference is that using water you have an advantage. This advantage is the thermal capacity of water. The biggest quantity you have (bigger rad), the more time you have to heat up all this water, so more time in low deltas with ambient. With Noctua and high clocks my cores go straight to high numbers and I can't keep it there for long time. That's why summertime I can't pass 5100. To cope with this I had to lower ambient to 16 degrees. I used a very small room with aircondition blowing on my case. For this clock also I had to replace the normal Noctua fans. I had one Noctua in the middle to 1500rpm and two Skythe Ultra Kaze 120x38mm, 3000rpm at the front and back in push-pull configuration. Also I had to reverse the two big fans of my HAF932. The top one instead of being an exhaust, now is blowing chill air inside and the 230mm of the side exhaust air outside, also helps with temps from GPU. Also I have an extra fan blowing chill air to the mosfets and memory and to the back of the board with open case another fan to blow cold air, to the back of CPU and mosfets. In BIOS I try not to use extreme settings and LLC is on Ultra High. That needs a bit higher Vcore than Extreme LLC but it runs a bit cooler and I feel more safe than Extreme. Again with all these, by the end of Encoding test my Cores are spiking to 89-90. Maybe I can do 5100 with a bit of throttling, but it's no point. It's already high enough and you have to know where to stop. I don't forget that this is my everyday PC also and I prefer to keep the money for a cooler upgrade and not to replace the same things. So, my friend, key element is ambient temp. Do something for this, or... wait for the winter
    Hi Nikosa,

    Talking about fans here, are u familair with the Noctua NF-F12 fans? I'm thinking of buying 4 of these fans for a push- pull setup for my H100i. The thing is I'm not familair with either the fans or an push- pull setup. So I want u guys telling me if I'm making a smart move buying these or stick to the stock fans which seems also great though.

    Anyway I tried to configure more today with my stability but I had troubles in getting better scores and stability and I couldn't beat my 778 PR.
    but I am not in a hurry and I'm allready waiting untill it's winter. I will place my pc outside ones Corsair told me that the liquid fluid inside the radiator is made to go below freezing point!

    @Flex how are u doing with ur new project buddy?

  6. #86
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array xmanrigger PC Specs
    xmanrigger PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z490-A
    ProcessorIntel i9-10850
    Memory (part number)F4-4000C15D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2070 Super /HeatKiller IV
    Sound CardO/B
    MonitorLG 32GK650F-B
    Storage #1WD Black 1TB M.2
    CPU Coolerwatercool Heatkiller Rev.3.0
    CaseLian Li O1 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset/Speakers logiteck Z-5500 5.1
    OS Win10 Pro 64

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    30
    Posts
    257

    Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    There's no difference in the IMC between steppings. C1 or C2 won't make a difference it's still luck of the draw what you'll get so buying the same processor on a C2 stepping and expecting it to have a better IMC is not a smart move... it may have an even worse one.

    Also I'm not sure if the offer still stands but Intel will happily trade your C1 for a C2 due to the VT-d bug on the C1
    Wow! Really? Never heard of this. I dont think I can lose by doing this. Can you provide a link?
    GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 / EVGA RTX 2070 Super / Corsair AX1200i PSU / Lian Li o1 Dynamic

    WATER: Watercool HeatKiller - CPU / Watercool HeatKiller IV - GPU / 2X 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

  7. #87
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH II EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 3960X
    Memory (part number)TXBD48G4000HC18FBK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 970/960/950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB/Samsung 1TBSSDs
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Dimastech Easy XL...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic 1000 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK2 ROG Claymore... or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse Corsair M65Pro or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!
    Arne Saknussemm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Reputation
    505
    Posts
    13,687

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonomega View Post
    I'm thinking of buying 4 of these fans for a push- pull setup for my H100i.
    Ordinarily this would be a great idea but the idea would be to get good performance but with some silence....the drawback a slight loss in performance compared to the corsair fans...because they push a whole lot more air at full whack than the Noctuas...and of course produce the noise to go with it.....

    So, for a 24/7 system great idea...do it....but for absolute performance and benching maybe keep the Corsair fans?....Nodens has actually done this...

  8. #88
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array meankeys PC Specs
    meankeys PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Apex / Maximus IX APEX / Rampage V EX V10
    Processor7920X / 5960X / 6950X / 7700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z - 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #2Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #3ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC
    Monitor3 X ASUS V248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCool Express SS
    Power SupplyThermaltake Tough Power Grand 1200W
    Keyboard Cyberus
    Headset Tittan
    OS Win 7 64bit
    Network RouterASUS
    meankeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Reputation
    104
    Posts
    1,553

    Quote Originally Posted by flexnl View Post
    o yeah 1 more thing meankeys.. what was your ambient temp with your last submission?
    My ambit temp is always around 22c. With ice in the cool can = CC temp 8c I run pump with the fans off on rads. I can get my reservoir temp down to 15c as well as my cpu block. It does not stay at those temps long at 100 % load may be about 1 hour as the temps rise I fire up the fans and it's back to ambit temp.

  9. #89
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    73
    Posts
    1,014

    @ Crimsonomega, I have to totally agree with the sayings of my friend Arne. Noctuas are great for 24/7 setups, but because now you are on benching thrill, my advice also is not to buy. If you want to replace your fans you have to go with something powerful and usually noisy on the upper high revs. Still you can use them, with a fan controller to low revs for every day use. According to this http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/...ting-round-12/ Gentle Typhoons are good for push - pull but I don't have personal experience about the difference with your current setup. In your case I would go with the most powerful in static pressure and airflow but the specs do not always say the truth. It's the specific use that makes something more efficient or not. And from the tests of this guy Gentle Typhoons are more efficient on high revs.

  10. #90
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    77

    Hmm very much appriciated for the quick replies allthough this isn't clearing things up for me personally lol.
    But I will try and get another pair of the Corsair fan's and just see by myself what it will do. It's as u said every individual setup perform differently with the same fans or not. I guess I will just have to try and see what the difference will be!

    http://www.corsair.com/en/skin/front...spTriangle.png

    This might be the best solution for me, just another pair of stock fan's. I'm hoping for atleast 5 degrees difference with push/pull

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •