Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

awe... lol I was 1/2 way excited to see a .... "o well you need to do this this and this and this to make 800#'s "

hehe... but given my weenie little Seidon cooler, I don't think I'll be breaking any records today.

Thanks HiViz

Well, it looks like cooler weather is finally in sight. I think I can have ambients in a predictable 10 C range soon, so the de-lidding plans are getting serious now. I have a vice on a workbench, but instead of the usual popular vice method, I intend to use my vice to hold a razor blade stationary with about 1/4" ( <750mm) exposed and then manipulate the CPU on it to de-lid. Seems like a fairly safe way to do it my first time...in theory. I can see a solid 4.7GHz light at the end of the tunnel in a week or so. 4.8???? We'll see. I have an 800+ RB score in the crosshairs!

O.o o.O but.... but.... why!? (forgive me I'm a dingbat) but I think your going to take the top off of your processor, won't that make it useless?

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

Well, it could make it useless... but if you're doing the delidding correctly, then you can shave off a lot from the max temps - that way you can extend your max OC...

But, delidding is for certain CPUs only, for IB and Haswell - don't try with other ones...

after you take the lid off.... ?? (keep in mind i haven't a clue what's actually inside a processor) ...

do you drop your cooler onto it w/o the lid? or.... I've heard about it, but never actually asked why would you. (or how for that matter)

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

The surface of the CPUs you can see is just a metallic cap, under it it is the chip itself - the metallic cap is called the integrated head spreader, and as it's name suggests it's role is to spread the heat from the chip... now, the problem with the Ivy Bridge and Haswell CPUs is the connection type between the silicon and this heat spreader... Intel used some regular/low end TIM between (in other CPUs there is a special soldering) - and people figured out that changing that TIM temps can be lowered significantly...

If you're interested, just google it and check youtube... - but be aware that delidding a CPU means loosing it's warranty!

Nawesemo, I'm very nervous about doing this and I will be absolutely over the top with care, prudence and a number of other adjectives. It will probably take me 3 times longer than it actually should, but replacing my 4770k isn't in my budget and I'm all about budgets. OTOH, stepping outside of my comfort zone is where the fun is, so I don't think I have a choice, really.

After having read everything and watching every video I've been able to find, my confidence level is adequate and I've also been assured by several people that If I simply apply a reasonable amount of caution and informed good sense, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. I remain modestly incredulous, but nothing ventured - nothing gained, eh? Bottom line, I'm going for it as soon as my Coollaboratory Liquid Pro gets here.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar

Good luck IM2 . Just use a small quantity of coolabs and take care of these little components on the side of the chip.

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

As an additional note, it's not the low end TIM that makes the majority of the temp drop, it's the distance of the IHS from the die. Removal of the black silicon material reduces the distance from the die. This is why lapping also helps a lot. Not sure if I can find it but there is a test someone conducted, that shows this clearly.

There, I found it: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost...&postcount=583
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Thanks, nik. I don't know why I'm being such a teenage girl about this. It's embarrassing. Do you think it is really necessary to put a clear coat over those "little components" on the side of the chip like some people are doing?

Thanks, Nodens. I suspected as much. I'm wondering if sanding flat and level the bottom of the flared foot of the IHS that rests on the silicone would be beneficial in any way because of this.

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast