Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Thanks for your input guys and good luck.

New ROGer Array

Have to agree with Abula here, I am also very disappointed with my gene VI Sensors and fan controls. CPU sensor can be upto 20 degrees C out from Core temp is not right.

I just cannot get my fans the way I want them.

Q-fans minimum chassis fan setting of 60% duty cycle is way to high and not acceptable.

I know i could run A1 suite/fan expert and get lower fan settings but the CPU temp sensors are way off .

I have always had Asus boards but I too am looking to replace this Gene VI with another brand board already.

Very disappointed.
    Last edited by Namorismo; 09-28-2013 at 12:47 PM.

New ROGer Array

I'm also hoping that the minimum duty cycle on this generation of Asus boards can be resolved.

On my Gryphon the minimum duty cycle for the CPU fan in PWM mode is 60%! This is completely non-sensical when you consider that my Swiftech H220 pump will run perfectly at 0% duty cycle.

Trying to protect users is an absolutely ridiculous excuse. Might as well take away overclocking options then as well.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Ambidexter's Avatar

How many fans in Fexp2?

Hi,

This thread is the closest I've seen with people that seem to have similar issues to me. I purchased ...what is it, 3 Maximus VI Formula boards now for various clients. I can get Fan Expert 2 to "see" only the Chassis 1, 2 & 3 fans, not the Optional 1, 2 and 3 fans.

I disable q-control in the UEFI for the chassis fans and they all work via PWM control...as I expected, as I the manual and web sites say the Formula has 8 PWM fan headers.

I can see the fan speeds in AI Suite 3, but a discovery of fans and benchmark never shows them. The only way I can get the Opt fans to not be full speed is via UEFI control on the Opt fans (profile, user, etc.)

Does the fact that Fan Expert only see 4 fans (1 CPU and 3 Chassis) a bug or a feature? If it's a feature, why no control of the other three fans...4 if you consider the CPU_Opt? If it's a bug, why hasn't it been fixed since at least 2012?

I plan to use this particular build with water cooling. I've got 3 fans in the roof, one in the back, one in the front, and a push inside...I purchased these all as PWM because that's what they were supposed to be!

Do I need to buy some other fan control software? Is there a Fan Expert "Pro" or something?

BTW, I just upgraded to the 0903 UEFI, and it doesn't change anything.

Thanks,

-Ambi
    MB: Maximus VIII Hero
    CPU:Intel i7-6700K OC @ 4.7 GHz
    Mem: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3600 MHz
    Vid: EVGA GTX980 Ti SC@ 1530MHz
    SSD:RAID1&0 Samsung 256G 840 Pro

HDD: RAID1 6TB Ultrastar 7K6000
    PSU: Corsair AX1200i
    Case:Corsair 600T, mod for roof rad

Custom Loop:
    Block:EK Supremacy Clean CSQ, Copper
    Rads:AlphaCool ST30 360 & 120
    Fans: 4 X Enermax CLUSTER Advance, Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm, KingWin DB122
    Pumps:2 X MCP 35x in series
    Tubing:Tygon 2475 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Abula's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambidexter View Post
    I disable q-control in the UEFI for the chassis fans and they all work via PWM control...as I expected, as I the manual and web sites say the Formula has 8 PWM fan headers.
    How do you know they are true PWM headers? I dont own a Formula so i cant say for sure, but they probably are not (again its just my guess). Read ASUS Z87-Deluxe fake 4-pin headers & other fan control info.

Most manufactuers have 1 true PWM fan header, some have two, and to my recollection there some intel mobos that do have all.

Are all your fans the 4x enermax cluster advancie and 1x Bitfinix Spectre pro?
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI GENE | Intel Core i7-8086K | Scythe Mugen5 RevB + Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM | Corsair Vengance DDR4 3200 CL16 16GB | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA | Omega eClaro | ADATA XPG SX8200 960GB | SilverStone SST-LD01B + 4x Thermalright TY-147ASQ | SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650

Yes, the 4 enermax are for the rads outside pulling, and the bitfenix is for the front inside pulling.

This seems to give enough negative pressure, and on the top rad, there's not enough room for a push-pull. But on the back rad, I've got the KingWin DB122 pushing as there's room, and there'll be extra heat from the GTX770 (currently stock DC2 OC and no waterblock - waiting for EK's new one) right under the rad & CPU block.

BTW, that Kingwin is VERY quiet and moved a decent amount of air...considering I may have more rad than I need (without a GPU block) I may want to replace all the fans with the Kingwin...though, I like how the enermax have the 3-level settings and can be made as quiet if needed....oh, that's one other reason to have the enermax on the outside of the case (under the cover in the top, and with a grill in the back) because you can change the switch to the 3 positions without opening the case.

I'll have to get a picture up once I get the CPU block on...should be the next couple of days. I'll be testing the PWM ability of these fans soon too...checking if voltage changes when speed changes, or adding one fan to the opt-cpu and see what's up.

Cheers,

-Ambi

Custom Loop:

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Can't see this one being changed fast. Too many users with fans that don't spin up complaining in comparison to you guys. Greater need wins no matter how illogical it may sound in this case.
    Oh, c'mon please!
    Maybe dealing with CPU Fan Min. Duty Cycle is too risky because CPU fan is important but same restriction exist on Assistant Fans on Sabertooth Z87.

In plain language > minimal duty cycle of 60% on these fans means that they will spin with 4700 rpm (from max of 7200 rpm) all the time and this is LOUD and annoying. Because of physical dimensions of these fans they must spin fast.

Please, please allow min. duty cycle of 35% as lowest speed > judging reports from Thermal Radar, min. of 35% means 2200~2400 rpm and this is fair and inaudible most of the times.

At least, fix rear assistant fan which is "exposed" and loudest from all fans connected in my system.

AI Suite, also, don't allow these fans to be set quiet. After Thermal Tuning AI Suite Sets them to min. 60% (obviously, AI Sute "reads" this from BIOS)
    Currently I've made small "hack" in FanCalibrationData.xml in C:\ProgramData\ASUS\FanXpert
    At this line I put this for both Assist Fans <maxdutytokeepstill>35</maxdutytokeepstill> which means Min. Duty Cuycle of 35%
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	29776

@others
    Please don't mess with FanCalibrationData.xml if you don't know what you doing. First make copy of FanCalibrationData.xml and add dummy extension like *.bak or *.old, kill AI Suite from task manager and do edit that line. After this run AI Suite from Start Menu and modification should be visible.
    i5 4670K (no OC) on Sabertooth Z87, Asus GTX760 DC2OC, Corsair Vengeance 8GB @XMP 1600, Cooler Master M2 720W - Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler
    WD Blue 1TB (EZEX), WD Green 2TB (EARX)

I've been thinking of a PWM divider. We'll see if I find anything interesting.

Hey, what happens if you under-volt a PWM fan? Does it run slower, not at all, OK but hotter, etc.? If it did work for you, you could get a resistor to drop the voltage for the fans in question.

-Ambi

Custom Loop:

ROG Member Array

Figure I will throw this out there but would it be possible to map fan speed based on GPU temp instead of CPU? Not sure if Fan Xpert II or Mobo can get the reading from a seperate video card but that would be an awesome feature to have. Another request would be to map Opt fan speed based on CPU or GPU temp instead of Mobo temp. Right now, I have another fan plugged into Opt fan header and I can set temp control but even when I am stress testing, the fan is still running at low RPM which I am assuming because my Mobo is still not that hot in comparison to CPU temp.

Optional Temp Sensors - Can they move fans?

My Maximus VI FOrmula board has 3 extra temp probes...I have one taped to the back of my GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5. Because the back is facing up, next to the CPU and waterblock, it could get some stale air. The back gets quite hop, I've measured 60 deg. C +/- when under FurMark load and overclocked.

AI Suite sees these "OPT_TEMP1-3" sensors (I had to buy 3, they're optional)...but can't tell if I can get them to do run a script, shutdown, increase fans, etc.

I've heard people put small, 70-80 mm fans behind the GPU to move the air around a bit...maybe put a few RAM heatsinks, etc. too...it would be nice to control a fan from the opt temp sensors....anyone know how?

Thanks,

-Ambi

Custom Loop:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast