Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme - Marvell in Raid and Booting problem

Javi3d
Level 7
Hi guys,

I need your help please.

I have an SSD attached to one of the two 6gbs Intel ports and a 2-hard-disks Raid0 (3gbs) attached to the intel controller. That works perfect..

The problem is that i have now 2 new WD black drives (6gbs)... so the ideal thing would be to put them in the 2 6gbs ports that are free:

I put the marvell controller in Raid mode and i can build the Raid with the CTRL+M option. But the system doesn't boot from any hard drive. It asks me to insert a bootable disk and press a key (the typical "dos" screen).

I tried everything! If I put the Marvell back to AHCI all works as did before.. but the thing is i want to have the Marvell in Raid mode.

I also tried to install Windows to a drive that was in the Marvell controller in AHCI mode.. and it also failed... (even i tried to put the Marvell drivers)...

Why this Marvell controller is so crappy? It was supposed to be easy! What's the poing in having two raid controller if one is useless?

Hope someone could solve it at least in another motherboard as the issues seems to be similar.

kind regards,
Javier
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that you should use the marvel controllers to make a Software RAID and not a hardware raid. That way you can boot to OS from your SSD
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

That's a clever idea 😉

It seemes ironical but thanks of my desesperation to solve it I installed a Modded version of the latest and same BIOS i had.. done by a guy who seemed that he updated the intel OPROM controller to a newer version.

Magically now it works! I can put the marvell controller in Raid and windows boots normally on the SSD (intel controller) 😉
I thought it was a Marvell controller crappy error but maybe it was something related to both controllers...

well now that the Intel controller oprom is update from version 10.5.1.1070 to 12.6.0.1867.. seems that everything will work perfect!

Here's the link:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1244232/asus-asrock-msi-gigabyte-bioss-with-updated-raid-orom

Thank you so much!
Javier

So now that everything is Raid enabled and is working!..
my question would be:

I have a 6gb SSD (for windows 😎 and 2 WD Black 6gbs hard drives for Raid 0...
and the marvell controller is the 9182 6gbs (2 ports)... someones talks very well of this controller.. and 2 ports 6gbs intel controller of my Maximus iv extreme..

How would you plug everything?

The SSD on the intel 6gbs port and the 2 WD black raid0 on the marvel 6gbs ports?
or..
The SSD on the Marvell port and the 2 WD black raid0 on the intel 6gbs port?
or..
The SSD on the intel 6gbs port and the 2 WD black raid 0 on the remaining "3GBS" ports?

So confused as some people says that the marvell 9182 is great and some others says that there's no almost difference between the 3gbs and 6gbs port if you use the wd black 6gbs drives..

Kind regards,
Javier

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would never have my OS on the marvell controller.

I think the reason that the bios worked is that it forced the orom to enabled.

Well done for sorting it out by the way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.