cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G750-JW - Windows 8 not detecting HDD

Jeracan
Level 7
Greetings! 🙂

I hope someone here is able to help me out a little since I'm kinda running desperate 😛

Anyway, last night I got my brand new G750. It was deliverd without SSD, just a standard 750GB HDD.
So, I downloaded asus software (can't remember name) to make an image of my whole drive (750gb one)
over to an USB. Removed the HDD, installed the SSD in the same slot and booted up.I got windows to boot
up on from the USB and installed perfectly, so far...so good.

Then finally done, and everything had worked out, I decided to install the 750GB in the other slot.
Here's where the problem starts.....

If I remember correctly, F2 when the computers boots sends me to the bios. With the 750GB installed
I'm not able to access the bios at all, so I can't tell if windows detects it or not, even thought I can
hear the HDD spinn.

Once in windows, the diskmanager-utility is not able to see the 750GB Disc at all, I can only see the SSD
with the following partitions W8 makes. It's not listed at all, SSD plus DVD drive only.

Anyone please have something to throw at me so I can get on using this nice laptop? 😕

****** SOLVED ******
14 REPLIES 14

Flea0
Level 10
Did you try rebooting? Otherwise, type Disk Management into the start menu and open that application, it will let you initialize and format the secondary hdd. You will either get a popup or you will have to right click on the disk to format it into a new volume. Go for MBR since that will be ok for a drive of that size.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
Did you try rebooting? Otherwise, type Disk Management into the start menu and open that application, it will let you initialize and format the secondary hdd. You will either get a popup or you will have to right click on the disk to format it into a new volume. Go for MBR since that will be ok for a drive of that size.

Thanks for fast reply Flea0 🙂

That's actually what I did, the disk managment built in W8 were to make partitions, format and general all harddisk activity stuff...It's not listed there
at all. It's like the disk isn't installed at all. I've also booted up with Windows 7 just to format this 750GB and hoped W8 would see it once it was formated. But with no luck.

I have to add, I have not fully updated W8 yet to last version, but should that matter? I will eventuelly do that but would like to get everything working before I do. Also, can there be any settings in the bios that I have missed?

Flea0
Level 10
try deleting all partitions on it with w7 and then letting w8 initialize it?
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
try deleting all partitions on it with w7 and then letting w8 initialize it?

Yes, the 750GB that originaly came With the PC had W8 installed in the first Place... so what I did was boot With the W7 disc, and just format
the Whole disk and all the partition. Left if With unalocated 750GB of Space. Then booted up With the SSD and W8 again and Windows is not able to see the 750GB at all, not even in the diskmanagment/utility. Also I'm not able to Access the BIOS and see if it's listed there. If I remove the 750GB Disk I will be able to enter bios again.

This is just a mess 😞

Flea0
Level 10
see I wish my memory wouldserve me better because I had the same problem wih my 1tb drive not showing up until I used a very specific tool to initialize it and that was the only program that actually detected the hard disk.

Liger
Level 7
I had the same issue mate, when you go into disk management is there not anything listed next to a 100mb partition? I'm not at my machine but it wasn't blatantly obvious it was there. All I needed to do was allocate a drive letter to it. I'll check when I get in tonight.
Asus Rog G750JW
Screen: 1920x1080 17'3 inch
CPU: i7 4700HQ
GPU: 2GB GTX 765M
RAM: 16GB 2133MHz
SDD: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB
HDD: 2TB 5400RPM

Liger wrote:
I had the same issue mate, when you go into disk management is there not anything listed next to a 100mb partition? I'm not at my machine but it wasn't blatantly obvious it was there. All I needed to do was allocate a drive letter to it. I'll check when I get in tonight.

If you do however remember please let me know, running out of ideas 😞

will try tonight install the 750GB disk again and pray w8 will eventually see it.

Liger wrote:

I'm at work now but will check once I get home and post some pictures within W8 and from the Bios and hopefully that helps figuring this out. 🙂

Jeracan
Level 7
Here is a picture with the Hardisk installed.
http://gyazo.com/377a9da995810c155da4538cd396b75d
http://gyazo.com/4ce20150c5ff7f0269d9baa9a7eb5e92

Still not able to see where I can format or atleast do something with the disk 😞